Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there actually any truth in the Glenn Murray speculation?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
This is my problem with the theory of a loan. He scored 30 in one season, but scored 44 in all competitions in 4 seasons at that lot up the road. So, for the other three seasons, he scored just 14 in total.

There are no guarantees he will score enough to ensure promotion with us.

He missed a majority of the 13/14 season injured and managed 1 goal in 3 starts and 11 sub appearances. His return for Palace last season was a pretty impressive 7 goals in 9 starts and 8 sub appearances, he also scored 8 in 18 starts for Reading on loan. So I think his return for mins on the pitch is probably quite high.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
This obsession NSC has with a past-his-prime, bang-average championship striker, who left us to join our bitter rivals, is weird.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That assumes that any potential suitors MUST be from the Championship. There might be clubs at the foot of the Prem who'd need a hand (Villa?) - though probably Bournemouth would refuse to help a direct rival.
Except Murray can only sign on a 93 day loan, and Premier League clubs are not allowed to take players on 93 day loan...

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
This is going to drag on isnt it? Compared to the South American rumours that were going on this is very sobering.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He has only represented one club this season, hasn't he?

Doesn't that mean he can still sign (permanently) for someone else?
No, registered for Palace and Bournemouth.

Technically Palace could re-sign him on a permanent transfer, but no one else could.

Just the same with Elvis - only Feyenoord can buy him this window.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
He has only represented one club this season, hasn't he?

Doesn't that mean he can still sign (permanently) for someone else?

He played 2 Premier League games and 1 League Cup game this season for Palace before he signed for Bournemouth.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It seems the optimism the burst forth with Naylor's piece this morning is now already starting to recede.

Naylor recently tweeted about expecting a busy end to this transfer window. It seems he is covering his bases.

Murray could join us on loan, and would still technically be a Bournemouth player so wouldn't have left them, meaning even if Howe didn't qualify his statement with 'at this stage' it could still be true.

Hemed has six goals, which is the same amount Murray scored in his first year at Palace. This can be taken two ways - Hemed could be a 30 goal player next season, and/or we could end up signing an underperforming Murray.

I never booed Murray, I don't hold it against him that he signed for better money at Palace, but I never really embraced him either. I was largely indifferent to him, but support him as one of our players. But I am underwhelmed by this tactic of signing former players.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Wouldn't be against this at all.

He wasn't born in Brighton. He was a professional footballer who got offered a MUCH better contract at another club and took it.

The rumours that Poyet didn't want to keep him are absolute nonsense. The manager asked the board to offer a deal. From that point it is out the managers hands. He asked the board to keep the player and we didn't.

Poyet told BBC Sussex: "We have a limit and must work to those limits. If it's not enough, it's not enough.

"It's not like I can go out and make an offer like any other team, that is something we have explained and tried to sort out."

No animosity here. He is a footballer. If he will be an asset to our team then its fine by me.

It's history now but I don't believe that it was 'absolute nonsense' that Gus Poyet wanted him out. I think he did, and if a manager has an antipathy for a particular player it is difficult - or at least a bit pointless - for a board to insist that player remains on the books.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's history now but I don't believe that it was 'absolute nonsense' that Gus Poyet wanted him out. I think he did, and if a manager has an antipathy for a particular player it is difficult - or at least a bit pointless - for a board to insist that player remains on the books.

Without going into it too much, I can assure you Poyet wanted to keep him.

We were completely gazumped by Palace. Murray and his agent held out for the better deal and fairly so.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
This obsession NSC has with a past-his-prime, bang-average championship striker, who left us to join our bitter rivals, is weird.
This. Glenn Murray is very low down the list of strikers I would like us to sign. He just about pips Rachid Harkouk and Vince Hilaire (assuming they are still alive).

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
So GM joined Palace and now every Brighton fan should hate him?

I like the distant rivalry we have with Palace, but I have to admit, there's nothing more cringy than people taking it a tad too far.

Murray would help get us to the Prem if he returned. That can only be a good thing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

If you reckon a player who managed over 30 goals in one season in the Championship is bang average what would you call 90% of the strikers that the Albion have signed since we arrived at the Amex???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here