Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is a lager top?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Most of it just tastes the same and is manufactured not brewed. Mostly Lager is all about brands and marketing

pray how is lager manufactured other than the method of brewing?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
IMG_5863.JPG

The contents of Ernest's drinks cabinet

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
pray how is lager manufactured other than the method of brewing?

It's not a question of lager vs ale. It's a question of mega-scale vs small-scale, and most of the mega-scale beer makers happen to be lagers.

The basic chemistry is the same (yeast + sugar = alcohol), but the method of getting there is different. No one at Heineken for example is standing over a mash tun chucking in sacks of grain and stirring, despite what the glossy ads might imply. The entire process is continuous and automated. What the big boys invest their time and effort into (on the manufacturing side) is analysing the chemistry of every bach of grain etc that arrives at the site, as this does vary with the weather (the one thing they can't control). Then they can tweak the amounts input to the production lines very slightly as they go to ensure that the beer tastes exactly the same day-in day-out, i.e. something that is technically sound, but a bit dull. Then they spend billions on advertising to convince everybody it's brilliant.

I've been round Heineken's site at Zoeterwoude in the Netherlands - Western Europe's largest brewery - a couple of times. It covers 30 hectares (60 football pitches in popular parlance), but the only people working on the brewery floor are a handful of folks employed to keep an eye on the production lines and make sure nothing goes wrong. It's very hard to look at the process and not see it as "manufacturing".

Last edited:

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
In the same league as adding cola/lemonade to a fine malt whisky IMHO.

Not sure about the poof thing. If you stood next to me at my local and ordered a "cheeky Chardonnay spritzer with a Chai Latte chaser" then yes, I would be wondering what team you batted for, but a lager top would suggest to me pre-pubescent 'creche drinking' syndrome or just a complete disregard for a decent pint. :drink:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Have to admit to never having actually heard the phrase 'Lager Top'. Maybe I've just been lucky. Have only ever heard 'Carling Top'. Which may well be far worse, and probably is.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Have to admit to never having actually heard the phrase 'Lager Top'. Maybe I've just been lucky. Have only ever heard 'Carling Top'. Which may well be far worse, and probably is.

some lemonade can only improve Carling.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I once ordered a larger, with a top, at the AMEX (not for me I hasten to add) After disappearing for a while the young lad serving reappeared with a plastic lid from a tea and demonstrated how it wouldn't fit.

That's what happens when you only employ people who failed the Poundland aptitude test!

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
If Ive had a particularly heavy night the night before, then I will sometimes \"break myself in\" with a lager top the next day. And I have never ****ed another man up the arse, nor had my arse ****ed by anyone.

I hope this clears things up.

What about mutual mast**bation?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here