Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the story Fikayo Tomori?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If that is the case we have some poor poor players in the development squad.

Really? Oh dear, I'd better go and support another team then............

A 19 year old is dropped into a tense top-of-the-table thriller (at a level of football described at one point by the Radio 5 commentary team as top 8 PL level) against a very good winger and does very well.
And you come up with a line that anybody not as good as him must be a 'poor, poor player'.
:facepalm:

crabface

Mar 24, 2012

A 19 year old is dropped into a tense top-of-the-table thriller (at a level of football described at one point by the Radio 5 commentary team as top 8 PL level) against a very good winger and does very well.
And you come up with a line that anybody not as good as him must be a 'poor, poor player'.

Did you watch him in the first half? He didnt do very well then.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Is it just me or is he garbage?

Discuss.

It seems your eyes are ****ing garbage, thrust in at left back (a completely unnatural position) i thought he coped very well.

Shaky 5 when he first came on but understandable as Newcastle tested him

I think it's best you refrain from posting when you're a little upset because you're just spouting drivel.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
It seems your eyes are ****ing garbage, thrust in at left back (a completely unnatural position) i thought he coped very well.

Shaky 5 when he first came on but understandable as Newcastle tested him

I think it's best you refrain from posting when you're a little upset because you're just spouting drivel.

I dont think he is. He grew into the game in the second half, but for the first half he was poor and simply not good enough.

Did you see him at Lincoln? Absolutely awful is an undertatment.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Did you watch him in the first half? He didnt do very well then.

A little application of observation and logic would suggest that as I was listening to the match on Radio 5, no I didn't watch the first half. Or the second half - during which, incidentally, he was described as doing rather well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

That doesn't surprise me. I thought, at times, both teams were doing so well, they cancelled each other out a lot of the time. Newcastle got the break with the flukey goal and had the quality on the bench to finish off the game. Just like we did at Birmingham, when we brought Solly March on.
There is an argument for bringing Solly on much earlier than he did, but I can see why Kayal was brought on. Them's the breaks.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
A little application of observation and logic would suggest that as I was listening to the match on Radio 5, no I didn't watch the first half. Or the second half - during which, incidentally, he was described as doing rather well.

A little application of observation and logic would also suggest that if listening to the game on the radio you would not have been able to see his poor postiting and how scared of recieving the ball he was in the first half. So im not sure you are really in a place to give your views on him having not actually seen him.

Its a bit like giving your views on a film having not actually watched it and just read a review.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
My understanding is that he has the ability to play across the back line, so for a covering loan-signing that looks like a reasonable decision to me at least. Anyone who has played left-back as a right footed player knows just how difficult this can be, and I thought he settled well despite a nervy start. He was also matched up against the stand-out attacking player, also right-footed meaning that he was always being challenged on his weaker side.. The early, accurate passes from Shelvey meant that he was really up against it. However he worked it out and got better. Tackling with your wrong foot is really really hard in my experience..

Good post, this.

Whilst I'd never denigrate those that have never played the game for whatever reason, I watch, and analyse, and conclude and appreciate things about a game, or a player, or an incident, that I absolutely would not understand to anything like the same degree, were I not basing it on 35+ years of playing (and watching) experience.

Playing full-back on your wrong foot is really, really challenging. Liam Rosenior does an astonishing good job of it. Not sure many people appreciate just how difficult it is. Tomori, once he'd got over his early nerves, did absolutely as well as could be expected of him. Fair play to the lad, and shame on those putting the boot in.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He didn't do a bad job but it wasn't the best game to be put in out of position. Poc was clearly not fit enough though and if this was understood before the game I reckon Adekugbe, a left footer, playing in a natural position, with good delivery, would have been better suited to start.

I would probably start Adekugbe against Forest for the above reasons.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
He looked nervous at first but got better as he settled into the game, all those calling him should take a look at themselves and ASK is this the way to support a youngster coming into a match like last nights and not letting us down

Agree with that, well said ENREST.
Think also that Murphy should get a lot of credit for the work he did in tracking back to help out.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

He didn't do a bad job but it wasn't the best game to be put in out of position. Poc was clearly not fit enough though and if this was understood before the game I reckon Adekugbe, a left footer, playing in a natural position, with good delivery, would have been better suited to start.

I would probably start Adekugbe against Forest for the above reasons.
I would tend to agree, although I wonder if Rosenior might be risked?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Playing full-back on your wrong foot is really, really challenging. Liam Rosenior does an astonishing good job of it. Not sure many people appreciate just how difficult it is. Tomori, once he'd got over his early nerves, did absolutely as well as could be expected of him. Fair play to the lad, and shame on those putting the boot in.

I played for two seasons as a left back, despite being right-footed, it took some time to get used to it as the natural tendency is to tackle with your strong foot and that usually leads to a foul on the winger - you have to completely alter your body shape - it took a couple of games to get used to it.

When I did it, I wasn't up against an international winger with 30,000 people looking on. Fair enough, Tomori's a pro but the situation last night was well out of his comfort zone. I thought that after some initial nerves, he settled in well (and even an experienced player would have struggled to get into the game right away, it was being played at some pace) and in the second half showed some good anticipation.

People having a pop at a young lad, thrown in at the deep end, should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Difficult one this as he did ok 2nd half but looked like square peg in round hole due to being very right footed which like last season stopped our wide left player Murphy getting down the line. I would prefer LR of the two there Saturday if neither GB or SP are fit, but I also want us to play LR at right midfield so cant have both.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
If Rosenior came through the U23 game unscathed then he should be playing LB come Saturday - if Poc is not fit enough.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I played for two seasons as a left back, despite being right-footed, it took some time to get used to it as the natural tendency is to tackle with your strong foot and that usually leads to a foul on the winger - you have to completely alter your body shape - it took a couple of games to get used to it.

When I did it, I wasn't up against an international winger with 30,000 people looking on. Fair enough, Tomori's a pro but the situation last night was well out of his comfort zone. I thought that after some initial nerves, he settled in well (and even an experienced player would have struggled to get into the game right away, it was being played at some pace) and in the second half showed some good anticipation.

People having a pop at a young lad, thrown in at the deep end, should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves

right footed playing left back and loved it as you had the whole field to pass to or you could pass down the wing
and I managed to score one goal from that position.
best game at the Priory in 4 inches of lovely mud .......I loved sliding tackles

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A little application of observation and logic would also suggest that if listening to the game on the radio you would not have been able to see his poor postiting and how scared of recieving the ball he was in the first half. So im not sure you are really in a place to give your views on him having not actually seen him.

Its a bit like giving your views on a film having not actually watched it and just read a review.
Oh of course - I should have realised that the Radio 5 commentators have hardly any experience of watching football, and of course the pundits have never played the game and know nothing about it. So of course their views and comments are not worth listening to, compared to someone like you? OK.

Stroll on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here