Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Copa America 2016

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Chile looking very good. I am really enjoying seeing Mexico take a hiding...

You're not the only one. I work with a very gobby Mexican and will enjoy winding him up Monday. Just got back and watching the last 10 minutes - 7-0 wow, a real shocker

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The semi-finals start tonight.

(2am) USA v Argentina.
(Thu 1am) Colombia v Chile.

Two great matches. The Houston crowd can get behind the USA but I think Argentina will have too much firepower. The Americans also have a few players out suspended and injured so I'm going for the Argies to win 3-1 (11/1).

Colombia v Chile looks a tough one to call. Maybe the Chileans after they smashed seven past Mexico.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The semi-finals start tonight.

(2am) USA v Argentina.
(Thu 1am) Colombia v Chile.

Two great matches. The Houston crowd can get behind the USA but I think Argentina will have too much firepower. The Americans also have a few players out suspended and injured so I'm going for the Argies to win 3-1 (11/1).

Colombia v Chile looks a tough one to call. Maybe the Chileans after they smashed seven past Mexico.

A couple of cracking games definitely. Would love to see the US beat Argentina, but that is a very big ask. Still, if Dempsey plays like he did against Ecuador who knows?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
1-0 up to Argentina after 3 minutes. Worst possible start for the USA. Guzan just stood there and watched it go in the net

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
2-0 Argentina - and it had to be - free kick by Messi

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
This one is done and dusted,

Certainly looks that way. 3-0 now. US almost seem invisible - first half stats show Argentina had 70% possession. Thought Dempsey might have been inspired playing on his home turf

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Sounds like Argentina were awesome. They added a late fourth.

Whoever wins tonight will be the underdogs in the final although having said that, Chile managed to beat Argies on penalties last summer. I think they'd rather face Colombia.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
How come they've done the Copa America 2 years in a row ? Bit of an overkill innit.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
How come they've done the Copa America 2 years in a row ? Bit of an overkill innit.

I think they've done one this year as its the 100th anniversary of the first ever one - the scheduling has been all over the place in the mean time though.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Second semi-final later and hopefully it's a good match.

I religiously bet on Carlos Bacca first goalscorer so there was never any hesitation despite Colombia being slight underdogs. He's done well adapting to Italian football with AC Milan from La Liga and notched the opener on 12 occasions I think last season (a huge number). Always seems underrated by the bookmakers and a 5/1 quote tonight seems reasonable. If he joined a Premier League club - and he's been linked with West Ham - I would be absolutely delighted.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
2-0 to Chile after 11 minutes - predictable I guess but a cracking match so far

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I religiously bet on Carlos Bacca first goalscorer so there was never any hesitation despite Colombia being slight underdogs. He's done well adapting to Italian football with AC Milan from La Liga and notched the opener on 12 occasions I think last season (a huge number). Always seems underrated by the bookmakers and a 5/1 quote tonight seems reasonable. If he joined a Premier League club - and he's been linked with West Ham - I would be absolutely delighted.

Money back = he didn't start.

Argentina v Chile in the final. Hopefully better than last year's match and on at a fairly sensible time at the weekend.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
After a fairly uninspiring 120 minutes Chile beat Argentina 4-2 on penalties. (and Messi missed a penalty??) 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] straight major loss for Argentina. Both teams down to 10 players. Main Chilean tactic seemed to be to foul Messi as much as possible. Now back to the Euros

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
After a fairly uninspiring 120 minutes Chile beat Argentina 4-2 on penalties. (and Messi missed a penalty??) 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] straight major loss for Argentina. Both teams down to 10 players. Main Chilean tactic seemed to be to foul Messi as much as possible. Now back to the Euros

Really? I thought it was an absorbing contest throughout - certainly better entertainment than most of the Euro matches this weekend. The first 45 minutes was great stuff; good football, defensive mistakes, fluffed chances, sendings-off aided by a clown of a referee and a highly-combustible atmosphere between the two teams. (It's disgusting to see players - including the best player in the world - brandishing imaginary cards in an attempt to get opponents booked and sent-off, but I fear it has become an accepted part of football these days).

Admittedly the second-half started off at a much slower pace and both teams had calmed down, but I still enjoyed it immensely. Argentina will be kicking themselves, Higuain and Aguero both missed excellent chances. Fair play to Chile, they have shown last year's result wasn't a fluke.

Is Messi destined to never win a major tournament with Argentina?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here