Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

France v Switzerland and Albania v Romania 8pm ko

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It is complicated. There are 15 possible permutations, lets assume we win the group.

7 permutations result in England v 3rd in group A; 7 permutations result in England v 3rd in Group D (Czech Republic right now) and 1 permutation England v 3rd in Group C (Northern Ireland).

At this point it is probably fair to assume there will be no third place qualifier from Group E (Sweden or/and Republic of Ireland need to beat Belgium and Italy respectively). Of the remaining 5 permutations that exclude a 3rd place qualifier from Group E; 3 result in England v Group D (Czech Republic) and 2 v Group A (Albania).

So effectively we will not know until Czech Republic and Turkey play on Tuesday night.

So does that mean that from the 3 groups A, C & D, only one 3rd placed side will go through?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Ned the Swiss to score or its £20 down the pan for a 1-1.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
A Romania equaliser will make it extremely likely we will play Czech Republic or Turkey. Therefore, come on Albania!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
So does that mean that from the 3 groups A, C & D, only one 3rd placed side will go through?

No, the table of permutations on Wiki has it that all three groups can have a 3rd place qualifier. It is only that certain combinations of third place qualifiers make certain other draws more likely. The only way we can play Northern Ireland, for example, is if neither groups A or D have a third place qualifier.

Not sure I am explaining this very well but it is ridiculously complicated for no good reason.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I must speak frankly. SWI vs FRA has not been compelling viewing.

In fact boring as a rude word.

Albania v Romania has been pretty good. Lacking in quality certainly, but the fact the both need to win really has made it more exciting.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It is complicated. There are 15 possible permutations, lets assume we win the group.

7 permutations result in England v 3rd in group A; 7 permutations result in England v 3rd in Group D (Czech Republic right now) and 1 permutation England v 3rd in Group C (Northern Ireland).

At this point it is probably fair to assume there will be no third place qualifier from Group E (Sweden or/and Republic of Ireland need to beat Belgium and Italy respectively). Of the remaining 5 permutations that exclude a 3rd place qualifier from Group E; 3 result in England v Group D (Czech Republic) and 2 v Group A (Albania).

So effectively we will not know until Czech Republic and Turkey play on Tuesday night.

All this is from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016#Ranking_of_third-placed_teams

This is exactly the reason I haven't even tried to work out who we might end up playing - just too many permutations, as you say.

Really doesn't matter who we play either. You just have to beat what's in front of you and if that's a decent team early doors then so be it - have to beat decent teams to win the thing anyway.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway

All this is from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016#Ranking_of_third-placed_teams

So to put it simply, England do their best to win the group and if we manage that we just need to turn up on Saturday and someone who we really should beat will also be there.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I must speak frankly. SWI vs FRA has not been compelling viewing.

In fact boring as a rude word.

I'm not surprised to hear that. As pointed out before the game started, had Germany v Poland written all over it.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
This is exactly the reason I haven't even tried to work out who we might end up playing - just too many permutations, as you say.

Really doesn't matter who we play either. You just have to beat what's in front of you and if that's a decent team early doors then so be it - have to beat decent teams to win the thing anyway.

Your way is probably more sensible. I just really hate not knowing how it works.

ArfurW8

May 22, 2009
Fort Neef
36 matches to get rid of 8 teams seems a bit long winded , having so many teams in it seems to have diluted the quality and excitement.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
36 matches to get rid of 8 teams seems a bit long winded , having so many teams in it seems to have diluted the quality and excitement.

I agree.

Some are defending the increase in teams by saying the smaller teams have held their own.Not only diluted but the way the games work
out after the group stages is a joke.

The Euros should not try and compete with the World Cup.That should be the biggest football tournament.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

I tend to agree. I'm very underwhelmed by the tournament so far.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

Agreed it has seemed turgid at times however, surely it will explode during the knockouts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here