Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobic Leicester fans

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

wow....quite a library you've dug up there , all appear to be acts perpetrated by individuals in the media apart from the geelong fan so i would stand by my original comment that as far i am aware there is no homophobia at sporting events in Australia , Sydney has a massive gay community but is not subject to homophobic chants at away games to the best of my knowledge........it's not one of my pet subjects to be honest.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
With regard to the we can see you holding hands stuff, when a large number of Leicester sang this a very well known and vocal member of the Albion supporting community(who is against homophobia and campaigns against it) and who was sitting near me was giggling at the the song. Does this mean he/she recognises this is banter? Is he/she out of touch herself/himself?......And why was he/she sitting alone with two empty seats next to him/her at the end of row.?....loyalty point collectors?

And what about the 14 year old girl that is there with her dad who has just realised that she has feelings for other girls but is worried about not being accepted by her family and peer group. Does she recognise it as 'banter?'

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It might not be illegal but the cynic in me does get a bit irritated about a little bit of hypocrisy knocking around - 'Pikeys' are mentioned in this thread, we've all heard 'We pay your benefits' (sung at Derby fans as well, rather ironically). Homophobic chanting is repugnant but so is chanting around perceived poverty, disasters etc etc.

Plenty of opposition fans were happy to chant the Philpotts in Derby which is but wrenchingly offensive but not illegal - Makes me think that the problem is not specifically homophobia, more a complete lack of respect by some.....

I agree with you and don't join in with those chants.

Surely we can support the team, chant our players names & keep off the childish illegal stuff? I really don't think it helps the team when we're abusing opposition fans.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That is the problem, people will give up as if you report things and sod all is done, there is only so much people can do and bar a few token evictions over the years NOTHING has happened and nothing will change. Just look at the facebook " banter " sites and all they ever do is spout homophobic abuse to all brighton fans, all day, everyday with over the top vile abuse. It is so ingrained and set in stone in the mindsets of opposition supporters now I cannot see it changing and as I said it does not help when a lot of brighton supporters themselves do not see it is a serious issue

I don't belong to those 'banter' groups, and left the Goldstone group because of a couple of posters. I do report homophobic posts on Facebook and Twitter whenever I see them. I know people have had temporary bans from Facebook because of their racism and/or homophobia.
All it takes for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing, as a wise person once said. Step by step is the way.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just two Leicester fans arrested and one of those was let off with a caution - absolutely gutless Mickey Mouse police force. Pathetic.

Even having a caution can affect your employability. They will also have a ban from Leicester. Small steps, but word gets round.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
wow....quite a library you've dug up there , all appear to be acts perpetrated by individuals in the media apart from the geelong fan so i would stand by my original comment that as far i am aware there is no homophobia at sporting events in Australia
What?

"New study finds that homophobia is common in Australian sport"
"AT least 75 per cent of respondents to a study on homophobia in Australian sport say they have witnessed or experienced homophobia."
"The study revealed 75 per cent of heterosexual respondents and 85 per cent of LGB respondents had experienced homophobia in a sporting environment, as either a participant or spectator.

The vast majority of LGB people surveyed agreed or strongly agreed that homophobic behaviour is more common in team sporting environments in Australia than in general society, though heterosexual respondents were split on that question."

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I agree with you and don't join in with those chants.

Surely we can support the team, chant our players names & keep off the childish illegal stuff? I really don't think it helps the team when we're abusing opposition fans.

Where does it stop then? I have been in complete agreement with everything you have said about stamping out homophobia, but when we get onto looking down on things like calling their town/city a shithole, their team shit and a dig at unemployment rates then it's all gone too far. Childish though it may be, bouncing songs off opposition crowds is fun and so is the pantomime outrage so long as once the final whistle is blown both sets of fans can sit down and laugh about it over a drink.

Homophobia used as derogatory abuse is a totally separate issue, and is about individuals amongst both sets of fans rather than the feelings as a whole of the tribal support.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Even having a caution can affect your employability. They will also have a ban from Leicester. Small steps, but word gets round.
If they are banned from football, that's a good step. Extremely disappointing if they're not though.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Where does it stop then? I have been in complete agreement with everything you have said about stamping out homophobia, but when we get onto looking down on things like calling their town/city a shithole, their team shit and a dig at unemployment rates then it's all gone too far. Childish though it may be, bouncing songs off opposition crowds is fun and so is the pantomime outrage so long as once the final whistle is blown both sets of fans can sit down and laugh about it over a drink.

Homophobia used as derogatory abuse is a totally separate issue, and is about individuals amongst both sets of fans rather than the feelings as a whole of the tribal support.

That was just my personal opinion about songs I will sing, and those I don't. To be honest most of those are really boring.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It might not be illegal but the cynic in me does get a bit irritated about a little bit of hypocrisy knocking around - 'Pikeys' are mentioned in this thread, we've all heard 'We pay your benefits' (sung at Derby fans as well, rather ironically). Homophobic chanting is repugnant but so is chanting around perceived poverty, disasters etc etc.

Plenty of opposition fans were happy to chant the Philpotts in Derby which is but wrenchingly offensive but not illegal - Makes me think that the problem is not specifically homophobia, more a complete lack of respect by some.....

I don't understand your point about hypocrisy mate.

It's good to hear the thoughts of opposition fans on this matter but you are talking like Brighton fans are playing the victims here.

You will find the majority of our support couldn't care less about the same boring chants, just as you will likely find homophobes and perhaps even racist individuals amongst us.

This is largely because:-

1) It isn't true, our LGBT population which is only a small percentile increment over and above the entire country have largely moved here from other parts of the country due to the acceptance and a more liberal outlook - and therefore probably don't even support the albion.

2) We don't see it as an insult anyway, so it's very hard to be offended by it. Those causing a fuss are likely the brave ones trying to make a stand for the few.

The victims here are the individuals amongst your crowd as well as ours who are finding their lives difficult after coming out, or fearing the worst for coming out amongst overly aggressive dick heads using sexuality as derogatory abuse.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
From the BBC website "Liz Costa from Brighton & Hove Albion Supporters Club said about 50 Leicester fans took part in the "disgusting" chanting throughout most of the match at the King Power Stadium."

But most importantly did she shout for the nearest policeman?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Its currently showing as 4th most read news report on main BBC site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-41000016

Leicester City homophobic chants at Brighton 'disgusting'

Brighton fans say they were abused throughout much of the game on Saturday
Supporters of both clubs have condemned homophobic abuse after anti-gay chanting was heard during Leicester's match against Brighton.
Two Foxes fans were arrested during their team's 2-0 home win over the Seagulls on Saturday.
Brighton Supporters Club's vice chair said such chanting was "disgusting" and the club should be fined and anyone responsible banned from the stadium.
The chairman of Foxes Pride said abuse was "offensive" and "unacceptable".

Brighton are new to the Premier League but say they are experiencing the same problems with homophobia
Brighton is a city well known for having a substantial lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community.
Liz Costa from Brighton & Hove Albion Supporters Club said about 50 Leicester fans took part in the "disgusting" chanting throughout most of the match at the King Power Stadium.
She said: "The club needs fining, this has nothing to do with football.
"[The chanting] lets the whole club down and damages their reputation. I feel I never want to visit [the stadium] again.
"Those responsible need to be identified and banned."

She added that Leicester's stewards were "very good" and reacted quickly.
Graeme Smith from Foxes Pride said: "There are some forums where people are saying you need to get over it, you need to get a life, it's only a bit of banter, but its not, it's offensive and it's unacceptable."
Leicester fan Chris Whiting, who is gay, said the "shocking" chanting by his fellow supporters made him feel unsafe.

Kick It Out said there could be sanctions against clubs if homophobic chanting carries on
Both the Football Association and the Premier League have been approached for comment.
Paul Mortimer from anti-discrimination group Kick It Out said: "It's about education more than anything, making people aware of the impact that this has on their own fans.
"Within football clubs there are LGBT communities and imagine what they will be feeling when a section of fans are saying this horrible language in their presence."
Leicester City said it was "disappointed" about what happened but satisfied stewards reacted "swiftly and appropriately" and those responsible were ejected and reported to police.
A 44-year-old man has been charged with indecent chanting under Section 3 of the Football Offences Act and is due to appear at Leicester Magistrates' Court on Thursday.
A second man aged 21 who was arrested on suspicion of making obscene gestures was given a caution.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I really don't believe Leicester's protestations at all. They say they threw all the fans concerned out but provide no numbers at all. They seemingly did not engage the police. And they make no mention of any proposed action against those concerned..

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I really don't believe Leicester's protestations at all. They say they threw all the fans concerned out but provide no numbers at all. They seemingly did not engage the police. And they make no mention of any proposed action against those concerned..
That's not quite correct:

A 44-year-old man has been charged with indecent chanting under Section 3 of the*Football Offences Act*and is due to appear at Leicester Magistrates' Court on Thursday.

A second man aged 21 who was arrested on suspicion of making obscene gestures was given a caution.

However, 2 people from a large group?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here