Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Stunning couple of races with the e3 and volta today - what a ride by Valverde to grab another win. Hope for all us oldies yet with the way he is still riding...

What a ride by AVV!?, bloody AVV!? punish:

Ride of the day surely has to go to young Oliver Naesen.

I can feel another one of these :flounce: coming on at this rate.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Didnt say Naesen didnt have a great ride, he did - just mentioned Valverde for the way he rode up the final climb. For an old bloke hes not bad still.
Jeez...just because Naesen didnt get the win for you, theres no need to take it out on me!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Didnt say Naesen didnt have a great ride, he did - just mentioned Valverde for the way he rode up the final climb. For an old bloke hes not bad still.
Jeez...just because Naesen didnt get the win for you, theres no need to take it out on me!

Oops, thought the two thingies I put in cancelled out the need for one of these :jester:

AVV isn't the most popular rider around here, maybe something to do with the exceptional form he carries all year round and...well you can guess the rest.

I'm not in the least bit disappointed with Naesen not beating legends there. If he had beaten Gilbert, let alone GVA in a sprint after that effort then I'd be half considering the eyebrow emoji. Immense ride from him and I'm as chuffed with his performance as I was with Lampaerts earlier, and I didn't have a penny on Lampaert.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Still not to late to sign up for next Sunday Great Haywards Heath Bike ride. image.jpeg

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Are you all out on your bikes? Or is anyone else watching Gent Wevelgem? Pretty dull so far.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
This is the first race I have actually sat down and watched this year. The kits are a mess, even worse than last year.

Trek, Lotto, Cofidis, Katusha and BMC may as well be wearing the same kit. Movistar and Orica are almost exactly the same too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bury the lead.

First and foremost

83.9kms - What the fook is a ski chairlift doing in Belgium?

I totally agree P - somehow I managed to lose track of kits this time last season.
Now they've mixed up sponsors as well I'm all but lost.
It's as if they are making me root for Cannondale!

Sagan's alright, he can't be that good though he never wins. :lolol: :facepalm:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
For the 1st time in about 20 years, I managed to get a decent (road) ride in over by Barcombe, Plumpton Green etc yesterday evening....which was absolutely glorious. Used to ride the lanes around Ditchling all the time as a kid but, as I got older, I became a lot more nervous about traffic on the roads (hence a switch to mainly mtb riding). Loved it last night though on the quiet lanes, racking up 53 km, & hope to do a few more now the evenings are longer. I'll be sticking mainly to my mountain bike riding, but does anyone have any tips of decent quiet roads to try over the other side of the Downs for future rides?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For the 1st time in about 20 years, I managed to get a decent (road) ride in over by Barcombe, Plumpton Green etc yesterday evening....which was absolutely glorious. Used to ride the lanes around Ditchling all the time as a kid but, as I got older, I became a lot more nervous about traffic on the roads (hence a switch to mainly mtb riding). Loved it last night though on the quiet lanes, racking up 53 km, & hope to do a few more now the evenings are longer. I'll be sticking mainly to my mountain bike riding, but does anyone have any tips of decent quiet roads to try over the other side of the Downs for future rides?
It's probably easier if you start paying closer attention to the Geeks strava page.
I like to think I know Better Sussex like the back of my hand, but that still doesn't stop me thinking 'how the hell did he get from there to there', every once in a while.

For quiet lanes nearer lesser Sussex one of my favourite rides has to start on the Edburton road to Faulking (although I usually do it the other way, coming down from Horsham).
North up Clappers lane.
Still north through Blackstone
Then you have the choice of still going north up either Wineham or Twineham Lane.
Which in turn become Spronketts or Foxhole, t'other side of the A272.

That'll get you as far as Warninglid and a short hop across the A23 on the B2115, allowing you to come south on the parallel roads.

If that's a little too ambitious there's a fair few other roads that take you over the A23, on the way.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Afternoon gents. I'm planning to get a new bicycle this spring. The last one I purchased was 20 years ago so I'm a little bit out of the game. There's a local shop which has this in the window

https://www.standertshop.com/collec...dert-ssfw-17-complete-9-speed-brilliant-black

I like the look of it and like what I've read and heard about it. I only need it for daily zipping around the city; urban commuting etc. I reckon my longest journey on this bike will be 10 miles at any one time.

Any thoughts? I currently have a Condor city bike with Shimano (XT I think) stuff on it. What I like about this bike is it's light and rides really smoothly and effortlessly. It still feels very well, and precisely, engineered even after 20 odd years and thousands of miles. I will test ride this new bike but are the components good in the long term? I've never heard of the companies which make derailleur or the rims.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Afternoon gents. I'm planning to get a new bicycle this spring. The last one I purchased was 20 years ago so I'm a little bit out of the game. There's a local shop which has this in the window

https://www.standertshop.com/collec...dert-ssfw-17-complete-9-speed-brilliant-black

I like the look of it and like what I've read and heard about it. I only need it for daily zipping around the city; urban commuting etc. I reckon my longest journey on this bike will be 10 miles at any one time.

Any thoughts? I currently have a Condor city bike with Shimano (XT I think) stuff on it. What I like about this bike is it's light and rides really smoothly and effortlessly. It still feels very well, and precisely, engineered even after 20 odd years and thousands of miles. I will test ride this new bike but are the components good in the long term? I've never heard of the companies which make derailleur or the rims.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

I can fairly safely say you're not going to want our thoughts on £1111.64 singlespeed bike.

Are you looking to ride that one or put it straight into an art exhibit?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can fairly safely say you're not going to want our thoughts on £1111.64 singlespeed bike.

Are you looking to ride that one or put it straight into an art exhibit?

:lolol:
It's the 9 speed I was looking at.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:lolol:
It's the 9 speed I was looking at.
Not exactly an 'oh that's ok then' moment.

The bike is a classic beauty been engineered and polished to within an inch of it's life.
The words show and pony instantly spring to mind. The question is, 'is it all fur coat and no knickers?'.

The group set is SRAM, the new boy to the Shimano Campagnolo market, there's no problem with them.
The rims would appear to be fine, but the hubs are proving harder to track down.

I'd be amazed if anyone could spot nearly a £1000's worth of difference between that and say a Charge Grater.
Not to mention a bike from any of the hundreds of other manufactures in the flat bar/hybrid market.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not exactly an 'oh that's ok then' moment.

The bike is a classic beauty been engineered and polished to within an inch of it's life.
The words show and pony instantly spring to mind. The question is, 'is it all fur coat and no knickers?'.

The group set is SRAM, the new boy to the Shimano Campagnolo market, there's no problem with them.
The rims would appear to be fine, but the hubs are proving harder to track down.

I'd be amazed if anyone could spot nearly a £1000's worth of difference between that and say a Charge Grater.
Not to mention a bike from any of the hundreds of other manufactures in the flat bar/hybrid market.

This is helpful. Thanks.

Are there any components you'd worry about?

The Reynolds steel is okay?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here