Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Duffy tweet

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Disgraceful thing to tweet. Calling a murdering scumbag a hero is bad enough, but made worse by a total disregard for the harm done by the IRA to the city whose club he represents.

Opinion of him has become zero.

Well, the Grand Hotel was knocked about a bit, but as someone who was living here at the time, I'd be interested to know what harm you think was done to Brighton. None of those killed was local, and our emergency services performed heroically.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
That's ok then isn't it.....

I didn't say it was ok, as you well know - my point is that the bombing of the Grand didn't affect Brighton anywhere near as badly as, say, the Birmingham or Warrington bombs affected the local communities.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I can't be bothered to go back and dig it out for you, but somewhere a few days ago I said that I was happy to assume that someone from Derry had a better understanding of Irish matters than people who have lived most of their lives in Sussex. But there we go, people basing comments on incomplete research - the very essence of NSC.

So you don't think there are plenty of people from Londonderry that would have the opposite view to Duffy. Stupid to say his view is right because of where he is from, when he comes from such a divided community.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Well, the Grand Hotel was knocked about a bit, but as someone who was living here at the time, I'd be interested to know what harm you think was done to Brighton. None of those killed was local, and our emergency services performed heroically.

Whereas in Pevensey, East Sussex, 25 miles away from Brighton, the IRA killed Ian Gow, MP.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

I'd argue that the bombing of the city's most prominent hotel and ensuing loss of life is harm enough (regardless of where people came from).

But hey, what's a bit of bomb damage and loss of life between friends? Throughly normal for any city.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
So you don't think there are plenty of people from Londonderry that would have the opposite view to Duffy. Stupid to say his view is right because of where he is from, when he comes from such a divided community.

Yes, of course you are absolutely correct. Obviously anyone who reads my post must inevitably come to that conclusion.

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003

I didn't read it as him saying it was right (or wrong, for that matter): merely that he could understand why he held that view.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I didn't read it as him saying it was right (or wrong, for that matter): merely that he could understand why he held that view.

Well, by saying that Duffy has a better understanding because of where he is from is stupid in my opinion, it could be argued that his view would be less objective than somebody on the outside looking in. Mugabe probably has a better understanding of what's going on in Zimbabwe, doesn't mean people living elsewhere shouldn't be able to express a different opinion to his.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
Well, by saying that Duffy has a better understanding because of where he is from is stupid in my opinion, it could be argued that his view would be less objective than somebody on the outside looking in. Mugabe probably has a better understanding of what's going on in Zimbabwe, doesn't mean people living elsewhere shouldn't express a different opinion to his.

No, but by the same logic, Shane Duffy is as entitled to express his opinion as the most rabid Loyalist, surely.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
No, but by the same logic, Shane Duffy is as entitled to express his opinion as the most rabid Loyalist, surely.

He certainly is, as I've posted elsewhere in this thread, as we are allowed to express our disagreement.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'd argue that the bombing of the city's most prominent hotel and ensuing loss of life is harm enough (regardless of where people came from).

But hey, what's a bit of bomb damage and loss of life between friends? Throughly normal for any city.

Not normal, of course, but sadly not unknown back then. But I've never really met anyone who considered the bombing of the Grand as anything other than an attack on the Tory government of the day. Brighton was just where it happened. Perhaps that's just the sort of people I know. Bunch of lefties.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Not normal, of course, but sadly not unknown back then. But I've never really met anyone who considered the bombing of the Grand as anything other than an attack on the Tory government of the day. Brighton was just where it happened. Perhaps that's just the sort of people I know. Bunch of lefties.

Granted that it was targeted squarely at the Tory government, but that doesn't remove the fact that it did happen in our city and it did have an effect on people who lived here - I know someone who was working at the hotel at the time who was deeply traumatised by the whole experience and has never really recovered from it.

My point was that Duffy should perhaps have considered where he is currently playing and the events of that day. Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive about it but that's how I feel.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003

Yeah, for me, of all the accusations levelled at Duffy this week, the one about it being worse because he's a Brighton player is the weakest. That particular bomb would have been planted in whichever town or city happened to be hosting the Conservative Party conference that year, be it Brighton, Blackpool or Bournemouth. 1984 just happened to be our year to host. I've never viewed it, tragic though the consequences undoubtedly were, as an attack on Brighton. It was an attack on the Government of the time. Something like the Warrington bombing, perhaps, one might view differently.

Setting off bombs and shit is OK then as long as nobody local gets killed.

Righto.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Setting off bombs and shit is OK then as long as nobody local gets killed.

Righto.

I'm sure he didn't mean it that way. I can also remember quite a few people almost upset that more tories didn't get killed, especially the prime minister.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
376.jpg

Ever heard of this bloke ?

Thats you, that is.

I think you're a bit confused dear. I'd be the one on the left (and just to be gratuitously pedantic, I don't wear a watch and wrong coloured hair, eyes, eye shadow and nipples. Oh, and the boobs are rather too large).

On the other hand I could imagine you're a dead ringer for the one on the right, he even looks like he's got a bat-fer-brains.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Yeah, for me, of all the accusations levelled at Duffy this week, the one about it being worse because he's a Brighton player is the weakest. That particular bomb would have been planted in whichever town or city happened to be hosting the Conservative Party conference that year, be it Brighton, Blackpool or Bournemouth. 1984 just happened to be our year to host. I've never viewed it, tragic though the consequences undoubtedly were, as an attack on Brighton. It was an attack on the Government of the time. Something like the Warrington bombing, perhaps, one might view differently.

Have you forgotten this ?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...photos-and-information-from-hire-1383814.html

THE IRA last night claimed responsibility for the bombs left on bicycles in two English seaside resorts at the weekend. In a statement to a Dublin radio station, the terrorist group said the attacks were to mark the 25th anniversary of British troops' arrival in Northern Ireland.

A device containing about 5lb of explosive was left in Brighton and one with about half that amount in Bognor Regis, police said yesterday. Both were hidden in panniers on the back of blue mountain bicycles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here