Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Duffy tweet

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Not indiscriminate then.

The IRA weren't indiscriminate. They hit exactly where they wanted "most" of the time to gain the maximum impact.

Kill a solider and they just send more soldiers. Kill non-combatants and the pressure then goes onto Governments to get out of a conflict or go to the table for resolution.

The British had been killing Irish civilians for centuries. The IRA were nothing more than a group of people pushing back against something of which they did not create.

Obviously if the Nazis had succeeded you'd have just bowed your head and did nothing to resist their regimes. You'd have just fallen in line and become a lackey to the Germans. Am I right?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Please go through my contributions to this thread, while I despise the IRA I haven't wished an injury on anyone.

Misunderstanding. I know you haven't. It was a reference to someone else who did, and received a lengthy ban from a mod as a consequence.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Fair enough :thumbsup: I think I will back away from this thread in any case, it is getting rather nasty.

Please don't back away because of anything I've said or you've inferred. Your posts, while reflecting strongly held views, have been well argued and entirely legitimate for this thread and the Board as a whole, imo.

If you want to back away simply because you do, that's fine too, ofc.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
The IRA weren't indiscriminate. They hit exactly where they wanted "most" of the time to gain the maximum impact.

Kill a solider and they just send more soldiers. Kill non-combatants and the pressure then goes onto Governments to get out of a conflict or go to the table for resolution.

The British had been killing Irish civilians for centuries. The IRA were nothing more than a group of people pushing back against something of which they did not create.

Obviously if the Nazis had succeeded you'd have just bowed your head and did nothing to resist their regimes. You'd have just fallen in line and become a lackey to the Germans. Am I right?

I would never kill innocent civilians. The majority did and still do want to be British, very different to how Britain would be under the Nazis. You seem to think that I don't realise that atrocities have been committed by people on both sides. I would find any British person that killed innocent Irish people equally abhorrent and I certainly wouldn't regard them as a Hero but as a disgrace.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Not indiscriminate then.

The french resistance took action against the Germans knowing that their action would lead to reprisals against innocent citizens, it was a calculated risk but undoubtedly led to deaths of french civilians.

I think the point you are missing is that the peace process has been in place 20 years, it has been a success by ANY measure you care to take and MM was instrumental in delivering that. That peace process has meant people in NI can express their opinion without fear of physical threat unfortunately it has cost too many lives but it is time to draw a line under that.

by the way what is your view of Bomber Harris who led RAF bomber command in WW2?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I would never kill innocent civilians. The majority did and still do want to be British, very different to how Britain would be under the Nazis. You seem to think that I don't realise that atrocities have been committed by people on both sides. I would find any British person that killed innocent Irish people equally abhorrent and I certainly wouldn't regard them as a Hero but as a disgrace.

Interesting. So how do you feel about charities like Help for Heroes?

Are British armed forces that drop cluster bombs 'heroes' for instance? And I mean those giving the orders and those carrying those orders out?

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
by the way what is your view of Bomber Harris who led RAF bomber command in WW2?

The IRA was a spent force. Martin McGuinness would have gone to jail for multiple murders had he not got involved in the peace process. As for Bomber Harris, I think the area bombing, that both sides took part, was a terrible thing and no I wouldn't call him a Hero of mine and I certainly wouldn't lack the sensitivity to tweet that he was if I was making my wage in Germany.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That's because I'm not like most other people and if it offends your overly refined sensibilities so be it.

You keep on keeping on with the evasionary putdowning, that is after all your trademark.
Offends? Oh no, not one bit. Please do carry on with this act of yours. It's amusing and about as dangerous as bring mauled by a dead sheep.

As for trademark putdowns, you're the one who started this conversation with a putdown. Unfortunately for you, I can see through your bullshit.

Last edited:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Interesting. So how do you feel about charities like Help for Heroes?

Are British armed forces that drop cluster bombs 'heroes' for instance? And I mean those giving the orders and those carrying those orders out?

There are many heroes in the British Forces, but in my opinion, and I'll wait for you to give me exact references of this happening, then those that did such a thing are no heroes of mine. I take it YOU believe someone that murders indiscriminately can be classed as a Hero though , as your defence of Duffy's tweet implies. Got to go as battery is running low on phone already. xxx

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Shane Duffy's sent a tweet out today that I'd guess 99% of Brighton fans disagree with strongly

Brighton as a city is very left wing leaning and and a lot of our fans would have Irish links be it family and so on. I think it be only idiotic 20 30 something keyboard Loyalists or morons that would boo someone for having a different opinion to themselves. I'm no fan of Mcguinness but I do like Duffy and he has a right to show his respects.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
For what it's worth on Martin McGuinness, I thought Sir John Major's view yesterday was probably the most fair I heard or read:

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
In the end he realised that The IRA could not win through the bomb or bullet. Most wars end through negotiation. One has to respect McGuinness for his hard work in bringing the troubles to an end. Whether or not The IRA asked for a cease fire because they thought that they had lost, is to me irrelevant. The fact is that we don't have to hear the news of yet another murder down to terrorism from either side. When one sees once bitter and sworn enemies shaking hand, laughing and becoming friends, speaks volumes. I can't begin to imagine how those poor people that lost loved ones during the troubles can find the strength to forgive, as I'm not in that position. Is it not far better that peace has broken out rather than still being at war? To some McGuinness is a hero as Ian Paisley was to others. Bitterness and hatred achieve absolutely nothing accept heartache and pain.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
γνῶθι σεαυτόν tool

'kin hell. Can you get any more pretentious? You come up against someone who knows as many long words as you so your only recourse is to start replying in a foreign language? Christ, that is pathetic. Go on matey - fill your boots. What next, a Shakespeare quote in Swahili?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here