Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Duffy tweet

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
TBH I found the Brighton fans response far more reprehensible than SD's tweet.

Not to mention somewhat ironic:-

'aarrggghhh someone has a different opinion to me, they must be seriously injured'.

Pretty much the identical thinking of messrs McGuinness, Adams, Pasley and successive governments, that created the problem in the first place.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I'm English and am far from self loathing concerning it. I also embrace other cultures. I feel no need to define the fabric of my existence borders and man made limitations that come from something other than my experience.

One of the reasons that people are so uncertain about English identity is because of those who have replaced patriotism with nationalistic rhetoric which has tarnished the 'flag'.

Trust me, I'm very 'English' in character. But with this I'm embrace other cultures that, for the most part, add richness to it.

Same.

'Embracing other cultures' has been part of an English identity more or less forever. I know that is a struggle for many to get their heads around, but it's as close to an historical fact as it is possible to get.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Still, at least...

Brighton-Shane-Duffy-742487.jpg

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Same.

'Embracing other cultures' has been part of an English identity more or less forever. I know that is a struggle for many to get their heads around, but it's as close to an historical fact as it is possible to get.
Many do and many don't embrace that's also a fact !!!
In modern Britain and the influx in the 50's and 60's did not make us very cultural that's for sure and quiet the opposite to be frank.Although agree going way back further and brits abroad it's was very cultural.....

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Same.

Especially when they have an abundance of natural resources for us to plunder.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Let him say what he wants. I'd rather that than some boring, no personality, do as your told, footballing robot.

He has his reasons for the tweet. No big deal. Considering our country is currently dropping bombs all over the Middle East, it's a bit hypocritical of us to get offended at a tweet by Shane Duffy glorying MCGuinnes.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm English and am far from self loathing concerning it. I also embrace other cultures. I feel no need to define the fabric of my existence borders and man made limitations that come from something other than my experience.

One of the reasons that people are so uncertain about English identity is because of those who have replaced patriotism with nationalistic rhetoric which has tarnished the 'flag'.

Trust me, I'm very 'English' in character. But with this I'm embrace other cultures that, for the most part, add richness to it.

I'm loathed to get involved in this debate as I've found out today that my player of the season regards an IRA commanding c*nt as his hero but can I please respond to your absolute scollobs that you've posted here.

"I'm not a self-loathing Englishman...waah..waah..the flag has been tarnished by English patriotism...I embrace other cultures...waah..waah".

You ARE the very embodiment of a self-loathing Englishman if you think that our flag has been appropriated by anyone and then feel the need to qualify your English credentials by stating that you embrace other cultures. We all do matey, we don't feel the need to make a piss-poor apology for being a reluctant Englishman though.

There are bad Englishmen just like there are bad Irishmen, Scotch or Frenchies. The only difference is that we are the only country where we have people like you flagellating themselves about it. F*cking winds me up no end.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
The only difference is that we are the only country where we have people like you flagellating themselves about it..

Well that is total bollocks. Plenty of countries where people 'self flagellate' over their history (if that is how you want to see it).

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Well that is total bollocks. Plenty of countries where people 'self flagellate' over their history (if that is how you want to see it).

Come on then. Show me the same level of pious hand-wringing about flag appropriation in France, Scotland, Ireland, Germany or wherever. No-one does it like an embarrassed middle-class Englishman. They're world champions at it.

Tony Parsons said it right when he talked about the English chattering, middle-classes being alone in their inability to feel patriotism like the lower and upper-classes do, who in his words, were united in bad dentistry, brutal parenting, and a love of blood sports and the flag.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Come on then. Show me the same level of pious hand-wringing about flag appropriation in France, Scotland, Ireland, Germany or wherever. No-one does it like an embarrassed middle-class Englishman. They're world champions at it.

Tony Parsons said it right when he talked about the English chattering, middle-classes being alone in their inability to feel patriotism like the lower and upper-classes do, who in his words, were united in bad dentistry, brutal parenting, and a love of blood sports and the flag.

I struggle with this myself; the boundary between nationalism and patriotism. I consider myself patriotic in the sense that I'm English and I wouldn't have it any other way but I'm acutely aware that some will see that patriotism as nationalism and so I'll keep it to myself in certain social situations.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
You think Germans don't occasionally feel a wee bit conflicted about their past?
I've had endless discussion with Belgians about their colonial legacy and they make our middle class english historical angst look amateur by camparison.

I think you may need a lie down. You seem very tense.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Sorry - posted reply without quote

You think Germans don't occasionally feel a wee bit conflicted about their past?
I've had endless discussion with Belgians about their colonial legacy and they make our middle class english historical angst look amateur by camparison.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Of course Germans feel conflicted about their past but we're talking about Englishmen conflicted about the present and other people right now waving their national flag. You've clearly missed the point by a mile so rather than trying to patronise me, why don't you try to understand the point being made or maybe you could go for a lie down. Choice is yours, I'm easy with either.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Did he get it right? Are you just chattering on or is that your clattering bad teeth I can hear?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here