Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it too early plant my potatoes?

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Try looking at [MENTION=18309]Muzzy[/MENTION] Facebook & Instagram pages entitled 'The Allotment Shed' [emoji106]
I don't run those any longer.
My workload and promotion at work left me with too little time to continue with The Allotment Shed.
I miss it a lot but money talks.
Thanks for the mention anyway. It's good to know I was appreciated :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Planted my spuds this week. Deffo not too early.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I gave up my allotment last year as it was getting too much for me and my son was not interested in working it if I kept it but am going to plant some potatoes in bags soon. Does anybody have any tips to get a good crop. Will probably buy the seed potatoes from Wilkinsons. I am also thinking of putting some runners in pots.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I gave up my allotment last year as it was getting too much for me and my son was not interested in working it if I kept it but am going to plant some potatoes in bags soon. Does anybody have any tips to get a good crop. Will probably buy the seed potatoes from Wilkinsons. I am also thinking of putting some runners in pots.

I found when growing pots in bags etc, it's best not to let the earth get too wet or dry out.
When the leaves start showing through, keep topping up with earth to promote more growth.
I've also tried growing runners in two tomato growing bags, one of top of each other, obviously the top one with the bottom cut out.
Good luck :thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I found when growing pots in bags etc, it's best not to let the earth get too wet or dry out.
When the leaves start showing through, keep topping up with earth to promote more growth.
I've also tried growing runners in two tomato growing bags, one of top of each other, obviously the top one with the bottom cut out.

I shall try that with the runners rather than pots. I read on one of the adverts that when growing potatoes ina bag there was no need to earth up just plant them and leave them but I am always willing to learn from others with experience.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016

Someone once told me that you can plant a potato in a dustbin and continue to cover the stalk with compost until it reaches the top of the dustbin. He claimed he could generate a hundredweight of spuds from one plant. Has anyone else heard this?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Having seen this thread, I thought, what a good idea! I'll plant some today - I had a few that were starting to sprout, so I cut off the sprouting bits. Then I had an idea; why waste the rest of the potato? They would make fine mashed potato, so I peeled them and put them on to boil then went out to plant the 'eyes'.

Got involved with pottering round doing other bits and pieces in the garden, and was walking past the kitchen door when I noticed an odd smell - yes, one dry saucepan, burning on the hob and ruined! Honestly, this self sufficiency lark (or any attempt towards it) is a waste of time - it's far cheaper just to buy spuds in Tesco's!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Someone once told me that you can plant a potato in a dustbin and continue to cover the stalk with compost until it reaches the top of the dustbin. He claimed he could generate a hundredweight of spuds from one plant. Has anyone else heard this?

Sounds interesting.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
On the question of runners, my favourite veg, do you suggest that I plant them from seed straight into the growbag,start them off indoors in pots or wait until the garden centre has them in plant form to plant out?

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
I hope it's not too early as i planted half mine 2 weeks ago. I got them out of the box to chit and they were like spaghetti.
I thought I'd better plant them out or they'll plant themselves.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wife has some she bought in Sainsburys that have started growing eyes would they do to plant instead of buying seed potatoes if I just kept them in the warm in the brown paper bag.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I shall try that with the runners rather than pots. I read on one of the adverts that when growing potatoes ina bag there was no need to earth up just plant them and leave them but I am always willing to learn from others with experience.

On the question of runners, my favourite veg, do you suggest that I plant them from seed straight into the growbag,start them off indoors in pots or wait until the garden centre has them in plant form to plant out?

Hi BG
In growing potatoes in pots, whether earthing up or not, you will eventually find your own way of doing things.
No disrespect, it's what we did when taking on our allotment, youll get various people giving their genuine advice, but in the end you take it all in and get the best of the lot.

With RB, we start them off in seed pots in polytunnel, then after they have taken, leave them outside during the day to harden up, frost prevailing.
Then about mid May plant in beds.
If in doubt, try planting half your own and ones purchased from garden centre.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Technically he is right about the dustbin but the yield will obviously limited by the amount of foliage the plant will produce. If you get 3-5lbs of spuds off each plant you have done well enough as a rule.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here