Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I'd be more concerned if somebody had released an analysis of what will happen as it is a unique event.Given the sort of crap the Treasury has consistently put out over recent years,I don't suppose anybody bothered to ask.I presume it was their genius idea to raid the NI contributions of the self-employed,so I expect they are keeping a low profile!

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Negative about Brexit, I wouldn't expect anything different from that paper. It wont be the leavers who will down this country, it will be all the sodding moaning about brexit which will send negativity through the markets. Quite honestly I don't think I can take anymore negativity, it's bad for your health.

Thank god he does not work for the Samaritans, the suicide rate would rocket.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Negative about Brexit, I wouldn't expect anything different from that paper. It wont be the leavers who will down this country, it will be all the sodding moaning about brexit which will send negativity through the markets. Quite honestly I don't think I can take anymore negativity, it's bad for your health.

You say negativity I say realism.

Have an extra happy pill tonight it will perk you up

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Thank god he does not work for the Samaritans, the suicide rate would rocket.

As opposed to the leavers who would probably turn down a berth on the ark on the basis that its just a passing shower and everywhere will be bright and sunny shortly.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I'd be more concerned if somebody had released an analysis of what will happen as it is a unique event.Given the sort of crap the Treasury has consistently put out over recent years,I don't suppose anybody bothered to ask.I presume it was their genius idea to raid the NI contributions of the self-employed,so I expect they are keeping a low profile!

All quality businesses will have undertaken risk assessments to determine what the worst case is for Brexit to their business and the likelihood of occurring.
Such plans would be reviewed as the timefrane advances. It's just silly that the Government have not done so. But Im sure when the hat comes round that leavers will be rushing to throw money into the hat.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Genuine question: Are any Brexiteers on here starting to get just the slightest bit concerned about the potential calamity ahead of us? Are you surprised/shocked/nonplussed that the Government has not yet done any analysis of the potential impact of us leaving the EU with no deal? And doesn't expect to have the results of that analysis for about another year?

As a "remoaner" I have to say I'm not surprised - no-one on the Leave side has demonstrated they have any idea what they are doing, what the consequences of Brexit are, or even that they care about those consequences.

I'm just shocked/baffled that parliament has meekly accepted the triggering of Article 50 without asking even some of the most basic questions imaginable. Surely even a 10 year old school-boy might have said - "hang on, before you vote to go ahead with this plan, can I just check that you've worked out what the consequences might be?". And when the minister in charge says "Err, oops - sorry, we haven't done that yet" - perhaps the response might be - "let's just take stock and hold on until we HAVE done the work".

But then I'm obviously rather too naïve for this sort of thing - we are way beyond the point where logic, reason, common sense, etc has any relevance.

It'll probably be okay. David Davis has said so. Ably assisted by Boris Johnson and Liam Fox, I think we'll probably be okay too.

As David Davis basically told the Select Committee today, leaving with no deal will be just fine, because we haven't looked at leaving The EU with no deal. As no deal is better than a bad deal, as The Prime Minister has said so don't forget, we'll probably be fine.

So I really don't think there's anything to probably worry about.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Shock horror. Leaver repeats put down while believing everything will turn out wonderful, while still believing pots of gold can be found at the base of rainbows.

Sorry but that is a piss-poor response. I'm flattered and everything but re-hashing what someone else wrote is pretty weak stuff and what you cobbled together is clearly not true given that I wrote this just a couple of days ago:

Quite. Things may well get tougher in the short-term but I was aware of this when I voted Brexit. I regard it as a fair price to pay for regaining sovereignty of law, divorcing ourselves fully from the EU federal project and full insulation from the next Euro crisis. I do believe however that over the long run we'll be better off economically.

A word to the wise, you're becoming a self-parody with this constant drivel about la-la-land, dreams, pots of gold, believing in fairies..etc.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Let's be fair there are far left and far right ideologists who voted leave or remain for polar opposite reasons. All this Leavers and Remainers is ridiculous because there will be people who voted Remain who have far more in common with people who voted Leave than fellow Remainers and Vice Verser. Which is why the whole thing is such a terrifying prospect. 52-48 doesn't begin to tell the story of who will actually be satisfied with the negotiated outcome.

A trade agreement might include abiding by the laws the EU sets as we previously did... The whole issue of sovereignty might turn out a complete red herring. Who knows. Do you seriously look at David Davis and Liam Fox with trust and confidence regardless of how you voted? Do they have the talent, intellect, integrity to take on such fundamental constitutional change? They fill me with a dread I haven't felt since 1980 when Darth Vader declared his paternal rights....

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Let's be fair there are far left and far right ideologists who voted leave or remain for polar opposite reasons. All this Leavers and Remainers is ridiculous because there will be people who voted Remain who have far more in common with people who voted Leave than fellow Remainers and Vice Verser. Which is why the whole thing is such a terrifying prospect. 52-48 doesn't begin to tell the story of who will actually be satisfied with the negotiated outcome.

A trade agreement might include abiding by the laws the EU sets as we previously did... The whole issue of sovereignty might turn out a complete red herring. Who knows. Do you seriously look at David Davis and Liam Fox with trust and confidence regardless of how you voted? Do they have the talent, intellect, integrity to take on such fundamental constitutional change? They fill me with a dread I haven't felt since 1980 when Darth Vader declared his paternal rights....
I'd trust David Davis more than any other politician in the country, he's actually achieved things outside of politics.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You've more chance of shitting in the queens handbag.than for something as drastic as that to happen.
You may as well of said no deal and Germany declares war on Britain.
It is something that is very unlikely to happen.

I agree, but it does highlight that when May says no deal is better than a bad deal, she is talking out of her arse. We have to have a deal, and a really bad one is not as bad as no deal at all.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
Genuine question: Are any Brexiteers on here starting to get just the slightest bit concerned about the potential calamity ahead of us? Are you surprised/shocked/nonplussed that the Government has not yet done any analysis of the potential impact of us leaving the EU with no deal? And doesn't expect to have the results of that analysis for about another year?

As a "remoaner" I have to say I'm not surprised - no-one on the Leave side has demonstrated they have any idea what they are doing, what the consequences of Brexit are, or even that they care about those consequences.

I'm just shocked/baffled that parliament has meekly accepted the triggering of Article 50 without asking even some of the most basic questions imaginable. Surely even a 10 year old school-boy might have said - "hang on, before you vote to go ahead with this plan, can I just check that you've worked out what the consequences might be?". And when the minister in charge says "Err, oops - sorry, we haven't done that yet" - perhaps the response might be - "let's just take stock and hold on until we HAVE done the work".

But then I'm obviously rather too naïve for this sort of thing - we are way beyond the point where logic, reason, common sense, etc has any relevance.
Of course we will face consequences life is full of them, consequences would arise had we stayed in the EU. no one can predict the future, not even your so called credible figure heads.:smile:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
A Re-May-ner campaigning in her own constituency last year...
may.jpg

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
A Re-May-ner campaigning in her own constituency last year...

Don't forget The Chancellor of the Exchequer - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...brexit-would-make-us-poorer-does-he-think-we/

Or Her Majesty's Home Secretary - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...power-Vladimir-Putin-car-crash-interview.html

It's okay though, Amber still has a grip on reality after becoming a Brexiteer - http://www.itv.com/news/2017-02-26/amber-rudd-no-sudden-drop-in-immigration-post-brexit/

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I'd trust David Davis more than any other politician in the country, he's actually achieved things outside of politics.

Well if non-political achievement is your arbiter you'd be better off with Michael Heseltine. Davis had a perfect acceptable career as an employee of a sugar company but Heseltine overcame reverses and failures to build a fabulous publishing company from scratch. He's your man I reckon.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Yep, my own MP too - Sarah Newton MP, Truro & Falmouth. The only part of Cornwall that voted Remain, now isn't listening to the will of the people.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Yep, my own MP too - Sarah Newton MP, Truro & Falmouth. The only part of Cornwall that voted Remain, now isn't listening to the will of the people.

The people of Cornwall, like all Brexit voters did, knew what they were voting for - a rejection of all EU social funding grants. They knew and wanted The Conservative and Unionist Government in Westminster to replace all this funding with nothing, improve their lives by now being free and pop down there once in a while when a train line breaks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here