Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most overrated restaurant you've eaten in?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Took Mrs H up to see Dreamgirls at the Savoy Theatre for her birthday and wanted to push the boat out beforehand so took her to The Ivy.
For any NSCers thinking about it, don't bother, dstinctly average food but very expensive, thankfully the show was one of best West End productions I've ever seen.

The Ivy is an insult to food lovers. Add The Wolseley to that.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Agree entirely with Cafe Rouge. Below average food and rude staff. The staff were completely non-plussed when I complained about the massive thumb-mark in my pain au chocolat.

Can I add Meat & Liquor in London Road? Pretentious hipster place with disinterested staff, average food served on what look like plastic McDonald's trays and bleak decor.

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
Ask in Burgess Hill, I wouldn't let my dogs eat there! Food tasteless and service appalling slow...EVEN COG MOVED QUICKER THAN THE SERVICE TEAM THERE!!!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Agree entirely with Cafe Rouge. Below average food and rude staff. The staff were completely non-plussed when I complained about the massive thumb-mark in my pain au chocolat.

Can I add Meat & Liquor in London Road? Pretentious hipster place with disinterested staff, average food served on what look like plastic McDonald's trays and bleak decor.
Can I just add decor like a ball pit park for meat & Liquor.

Wahacca Brighton was another disappointment, having eaten a really good meal in one in London.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Not being specific, but there are too many pretentious 'heads up yer arse' restaurants , banging on about being f....ing passionate'.etc.
Additionally, so many mediocre chain restaurants, banging on with 'are you guys ready to order'?
Just piss off, the lot of them!:wanker::lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Giggling squid in Hove. Atoms was good and service excellent, but the food was a bit naff.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Not being specific, but there are too many pretentious 'heads up yer arse' restaurants , banging on about being f....ing passionate'.etc.
Additionally, so many mediocre chain restaurants, banging on with 'are you guys ready to order'?

Good point.
You have hardly sat down and they ask you what you want to drink and I haven't even looked at what they have.
If you do place a quick drink order, when they bring it they ask for your food order.
One thing I love about more expensive 'pretentious' restaurants is quality waiter and sommelier service.
We ate at Rick Steins Seafood Restaurant last year, the food and accommodation was top notch, but the service was the best I have had in any restaurant anywhere.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Gordon Ramsay's gaff in Chelsea. Got three stars, there was nothing wrong with it, but you're expecting more than competence. There was nothing to excite.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I can't stand being called 'guys'

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Took Mrs H up to see Dreamgirls at the Savoy Theatre for her birthday and wanted to push the boat out beforehand so took her to The Ivy.
For any NSCers thinking about it, don't bother, dstinctly average food but very expensive, thankfully the show was one of best West End productions I've ever seen.
The food at the Ivy is pretty much beside the point as you unfortunately found out.

Most people go to the Ivy because:
They want to see someone famous.
They are a bit famous and like non-famous people looking at them.
They are a bit famous, would like to become more famous and know that there will usually be someone with a camera outside.
They want to show how important they are by getting a table at the last minute.
They are "so bored of fancy food and just want something simple" so they drop £20.00 on a fairly average shepherd's pie.
They are actors and actually believe, unironically, that the The Ivy is the "Theatreland Local".
They go a lot and so are treated really, really well.
They are tourists.
There are also people who go there because it is one of the most famous restaurants in the world and so assume, not without reason, that it must therefore serve good food...it doesn't. The food is generally not terrible, just safe and uninspiring; the service is usually impeccable and it has quite a good interior if you like art deco clubbiness. I'm sure if I were very rich, lived nearby and didn't want to cook, I would go there rather than microwaving a Tesco ready meal but otherwise there are approximately eleventy million restaurants in London that serve more interesting food.

It's a bit like the Hard Rock Cafe for grownups - the food is largely incidental.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Gordon Ramsay's gaff in Chelsea. Got three stars, there was nothing wrong with it, but you're expecting more than competence. There was nothing to excite.

Agreed, with one exception. We got them to make an off-menu tarte tatin. Spectacular. Otherwise, a bit meh.

Have you tried Kitchen Table on Charlotte Street. The technical term is, I believe, banging.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here