Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So the fact he was carrying a gun......

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
As I believe I have posted before, I work with three 'Southern' Police Forces in their Firing Ranges and over the past 15 years or so have got to know many, many Armed Response Officers.

Almost without exception the last thing the ones I have known is to fire their weapon in a 'live' situation, whether it is at armed criminals, terrorists or anyone else.

This situation must have been intelligence led for it to have been planned with armed response teams i.e. the Police had reasonable suspicion that this bloke was carrying a firearm in order to do someone some harm, possibly lethal harm.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I have a "Christian" name. I'm not a Christian. What does a name prove?

Proves nothing but it does give a clue. Would you not agree that if you met a Mohammed and a John, most would assume one was more likely to be muslim than the other. ....again neither does being found not guilty of murder,but the fact that he was accused of murder gives a clue to what he does with his life coupled with the fact he carries a gun or do you still feel he may be innocent of any crime and stitched up by police!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So fair game to shoot all the gun wielding grouse shooters then!

Maybe not, but all those carrying an illegal firearm in a public place? OK for you?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
You're backing a loser with this one, you can wrap it up how you want, I havent really looked into this case dont need to ....... he's a wrong'un.

That maybe true but I'm not seeking to defend him - My beef is with the tacit acceptance of the police shooting people because they may be bad people and how people formulate their reasons for accepting this. Dangerous road for us to go down, IMO.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Oh, that was aimed at me - Ages since I was accused of being a sweet young teen, that's kind of weird you know.

Okay, so if we're have a mature discussion, my issue with your post is as follows:- You've taken an established fact in that he was acquitted of a serious charge (it was attempted murder, not murder) and casually implied that basically he was guilty. In fact, the judge in the case referred to the key witness as being 'one of the least compelling witnesses that he had seen in 35 years', the case was therefore thrown out.

Then rest of your post is full of hyperbole based on supposition using as a source that I made an educated guess to be our old friend the Daily Mail. You've then concluded that acquittal of crime + allegations of drug dealing + having expensive cars + having a DIY home security setup = Death sentence.

You may, or may not, be a Daily Mail reader (I think you are), but your post is a classic DM reader summary.

And yours of the see no, hear no, speak no evil variety.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Proves nothing but it does give a clue. Would you not agree that if you met a Mohammed and a John, most would assume one was more likely to be muslim than the other. ....again neither does being found not guilty of murder,but the fact that he was accused of murder gives a clue to what he does with his life coupled with the fact he carries a gun or do you still feel he may be innocent of any crime and stitched up by police!

It was the guy's father who was called Mohammed, not the guy who was shot.

And exactly where am I suggesting that anyone was stitched up or innocent of anything? I'm only suggesting you shouldn't jump to an unrelated conclusion based on someone's father's name.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Really ?? How many non Muslims are called mohammed?

Like I said, the dead guy was not called Mohammed - his dad was. Even if he were, all it proves is that his parents probably cared enough to give him a Muslim name. Doesn't automatically make him a Muslim.

Do you choose to believe everything your parents believe or do you make your own choices in life?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
In short, I know nothing I've said above presents any great defence for this individual but it does show how flimsy some of the arguments are that people are using to justify the shooting and that maybe we should step back a little, sometimes.

In this case no. In my opinion he was a bad man, he is now dead.

My opinion upon this is not the issue. The issue is that there will be an inquiry which will look at the evidence surrounding his death, which will include some reference to his previous behaviour that led to the Police deploying firearms in advance etc and not being able to wait for him to shoot first etc.. My original point is that a bunch of twats who saw him as one of their own were now protesting and attacking the Police because of a perceived injustice, long before they have any evidence whatsoever.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
In this case no. In my opinion he was a bad man, he is now dead.

My opinion upon this is not the issue. The issue is that there will be an inquiry which will look at the evidence surrounding his death, which will include some reference to his previous behaviour that led to the Police deploying firearms in advance etc and not being able to wait for him to shoot first etc.. My original point is that a bunch of twats who saw him as one of their own were now protesting and attacking the Police because of a perceived injustice, long before they have any evidence whatsoever.

and 'and have some areshole record it on video and try to twist the shooting into an anti-Islami issue. Jeez.....'

?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Like I said, the dead guy was not called Mohammed - his dad was. Even if he were, all it proves is that his parents probably cared enough to give him a Muslim name. Doesn't automatically make him a Muslim.

Do you choose to believe everything your parents believe or do you make your own choices in life?

Does the fact the guys Dad has the same name as Sir Mo Farah have anything to do with anything in this case?

Mo Farah is a Muslim. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

The deceased was called Mohammed Yasser Yaqub.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

Well that's driven a coach and horses through my argument hasn't it , apart from the fact that every newspaper website , itv and sky are.reporting mohammed yassar yaquub as being the deceased , imagine what you say is true , how many Asian descent, non Muslims from West Yorkshire do you know who's father is called.mohammed ?your argument is akin to the story of the emperors new clothes.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

The point is that his religion - or lack thereof - has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he may or may not have been a drug-dealing murderous **** who got what he deserved, so why make a big deal of it?

There are plenty of drug-dealing murderous ****s out there who are ostensibly Christian. Doesn't make them nicer or nastier people.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
The point is that his religion - or lack thereof - has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he may or may not have been a drug-dealing murderous **** who got what he deserved, so why make a big deal of it?

There are plenty of drug-dealing murderous ****s out there who are ostensibly Christian. Doesn't make them nicer or nastier people.

Nobody did make a big deal of his religion except mikey jh , all the posts.from me and subsequently others are only answering him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here