Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whitehawk FC - anti name change petition

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Cheers :thumbsup:

New owners aren't property developers/estate agents by any chance? Those sorts tend to have an unhealthy interest in rebranding things for financial gain (eg. Fiveways 'Village')

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Should never be allowed. I don't think if you have the backing of a few wealthy people as Whitehawk do, it is too difficult to get to National League level as long as you pay high enough wages. It is there it becomes hard to progress.
If you allow clubs to change name just to give them higher profile you will get a lot more doing it. Years to come end up with National league with teams like Bournmouth Rovers, Norwich Albion, Birmingham United, Brighton Town etc etc. They should all with very few exceptions like MK Dons keep there original identity

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cheers :thumbsup:

New owners aren't property developers/estate agents by any chance? Those sorts tend to have an unhealthy interest in rebranding things for financial gain (eg. Fiveways 'Village')

KSD Environmental - Skips, commercial waste, recycling. Don't be surprised if some of the ex-pro's playing for them don't also have some form of parallel role with KSD, like Driver's Supervisor etc. allegedly, rumour has it, etc.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
KSD Environmental - Skips, commercial waste, recycling. Don't be surprised if some of the ex-pro's playing for them don't also have some form of parallel role with KSD, like Driver's Supervisor etc. allegedly, rumour has it, etc.

No allegedly about it.

Jake Robinson works part-time as a footballer, and part-time in the office for his pay.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

You seem to be implying it is improper or covert; however, there isn't any attempt to conceal it - FA CUP: Sergio Torres working to make more dreams come true with Whitehawk

Life changed significantly for Torres after he was released by Crawley in the summer of 2014. Rather than trying to stay in the professional game he joined part-time Whitehawk while taking an office job with the KSD Group in Patcham, an environmental services company run by the owners of the club. It is not a decision he has regretted and he is delighted to be playing a part in a golden era for the club – playing at the highest level in their history with ambitions to go further, as well as making their first appearance in the first round of the FA Cup. Torres said: “Last year it was a really hard decision, after nine years of being a professional to drop out of the Football League. I didn’t want to go up north when Crawley released me, my wife and kids love living in Brighton so I was so happy that Whitehawk offered me something and that Ned (Peter McDonnell) and Chris (Gargan) offered me a job here. At the beginning I was thinking I can never work in an office but it has been over a year now and my work colleagues are my friends now.

el punal

As an outsider I don't really have a view on what Whitehawk should call themselves, but I think it would be a shame to lose that name. If the "City" idea is dropped, how about Brighton Whitehawk or even Whitehawk Brighton? At least then people from outside Sussex would understand where the club is located, and this name-change wouldn't (I think!) attract too much opposition from the Albion or perhaps from Whitehawk fans who want to keep their area's name. Whatever the outcome of all this, good luck to Whitehawk in all they do - the club's a real assett to Brighton and Hove and to Sussex as a whole.

There are plenty of football clubs around whose name is not prefaced by a geographical town/city title. I give you Port Vale, Everton, Arsenal, Queens Park Rangers, Hibernian, Heart of Midlothian, Forest Green Rovers to name a few, who all seem to be happy with their lot. Even . . . . Crystal Palace, wherever they come from.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
And a very small wilipedia at that.

Apparently that's all that prevented [MENTION=12634]Return of the Rev[/MENTION] from winking for England, he never managed to come off the bench.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
There are plenty of football clubs around whose name is not prefaced by a geographical town/city title. I give you Port Vale, Everton, Arsenal, Queens Park Rangers, Hibernian, Heart of Midlothian, Forest Green Rovers to name a few, who all seem to be happy with their lot. Even . . . . Crystal Palace, wherever they come from.

Everton, Queen's Park and Crystal Palace do exist as place names though.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
90% of the crowd are turning up because of what the owners have achieved,if people were so proud of little old whitehawk then where were they before?

I wouldnt know Ive never been to a game or anything, but a football club is essentially the towns/cities IMO. The owners normally buy into that, changing the name rarely does down well.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
It makes it sound like they want a battle and confirms that they dont want to stay in whitehawk.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Interview with the Whitehawk chairman John Summers

http://whitehawkfc.com/interview-with-john-summers/

You can dress up as a red lobster and be welcome at Whitehawk but I doubt you would get in at the Amex??????

What planet is this guy on

Really enjoyed the comment about average crowd not even paying for maintenance. Just shows running before they can walk and will plummet downwards when the money leaves.

But hey Brighton City will solve everthing.

If it is true that a name not starting with Brighton would be acceptable why not just accept that and move on.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here