Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Post-match thread - Reading

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Currently on the train back in to London after the game.

We started the game well and were pretty much on top for the majority of the first half I would say, Reading in the first half didn't really pose us too much of a threat barring a free-kick from the edge of the box which Stockdale saved pretty well. First half was pretty much a midfield battle between the two sides and neither really looked too promising.

Second half we came out on the front foot and brilliant work by Baldock and Hemed who teed up Murphy who was free at the back post to tap in. For the next 5 minutes or so we were pressing for another and nearly had what would have been a comical own goal from a back-pass only for Al Habsi to clear off his line. I think Crofts in the middle today for us was brilliant pretty much throughout. From about the 60th minute onwards we sat back a little and Reading started to look dangerous but without really creating a great deal, fluffing a 4 on 2 counter attack break from an Albion corner.

Once Reading scored, which never really looked like happening until the unfortunate Stockdale, who made some outstanding saves and has been brilliant this season, could only palm a long distance shot from Blackman into the feet of Vydra who then shot high in to the net literally only a minute or so after Calderon and Zamora came on. Personally I would have bought Ince on instead of Zamora as Hemed was having a good game and was linking up well with Murphy. After the goal we sat back too much for my liking and was inviting pressure on to us, with Blackman looking a changed player in the second half and Reading using the flanks well. Reading fans then woke up and found their voices once again, mocking the Albion support who sang pretty much non-stop throughout today. Final stages of the game, Reading had a lot of possession but didn't really create any clear cut chances to win the game. Disappointing that we took the lead and we couldn't hold on to what would have been a brilliant away win but a pleasing point at the end of the day. Reading don't look like a top 6 side to me, maybe they had an off day for 75 minutes.

Albion MOTM for me was Murphy, majority of our attacking and positive play came through him and finished well when taking his chance.

One moan - the queues at half-time, took a good 15 minutes or so to get served anything at half-time, surely with 4000 or so away fans they would look to have more assistants behind the kiosk.

On to Wednesday on Tuesday night. Still unbeaten, still top. Always proud to be an Albion fan.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

We started the game well and were pretty much on top for the majority of the first half I would say, Reading in the first half didn't really pose us too much of a threat barring a free-kick from the edge of the box which Stockdale saved pretty well. First half was pretty much a midfield battle between the two sides and neither really looked too promising.

Second half we came out on the front foot and brilliant work by Baldock and Hemed who teed up Murphy who was free at the back post to tap in. For the next 5 minutes or so we were pressing for another and nearly had what would have been a comical own goal from a back-pass only for Al Habsi to clear off his line. I think Crofts in the middle today for us was brilliant pretty much throughout. From about the 60th minute onwards we sat back a little and Reading started to look dangerous but without really creating a great deal, fluffing a 4 on 2 counter attack break from an Albion corner.

Once Reading scored, which never really looked like happening until the unfortunate Stockdale, who made some outstanding saves and has been brilliant this season, could only palm a long distance shot from Blackman into the feet of Vydra who then shot high in to the net literally only a minute or so after Calderon and Zamora came on. Personally I would have bought Ince on instead of Zamora as Hemed was having a good game and was linking up well with Murphy. After the goal we sat back too much for my liking and was inviting pressure on to us, with Blackman looking a changed player in the second half and Reading using the flanks well. Reading fans then woke up and found their voices once again, mocking the Albion support who sang pretty much non-stop throughout today. Final stages of the game, Reading had a lot of possession but didn't really create any clear cut chances to win the game. Disappointing that we took the lead and we couldn't hold on to what would have been a brilliant away win but a pleasing point at the end of the day. Reading don't look like a top 6 side to me, maybe they had an off day for 75 minutes.

Albion MOTM for me was Murphy, majority of our attacking and positive play came through him and finished well when taking his chance.

One moan - the queues at half-time, took a good 15 minutes or so to get served anything at half-time, surely with 4000 or so away fans they would look to have more assistants behind the kiosk.

On to Wednesday on Tuesday night. Still unbeaten, still top. Always proud to be an Albion fan.

A great roundup and I agree with the vast majority of what you said, but I'm surprised by your motm being Murphy. Other than the goal I thought he was really poor and Dunk, Rosenior & Huneymeier were the picks for me.

theroyal

May 11, 2014
Good game that, really came to life when you took the lead. I was impressed with your no. 7, seemed to work hard, also Stockdale who had a blinder. BHA were probably the best side to come to the Madejski so far I'd say, definitely the most organised and hard to break down. I was also impressed with your fans (at least until the equaliser).

I am trying to repress the memory of Vydra choosing to pass instead of shoot.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Great, thanks for that, don't tell [MENTION=206]Marshy[/MENTION] though

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill

I always enjoy your summaries, thank you.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
A great roundup and I agree with the vast majority of what you said, but I'm surprised by your motm being Murphy. Other than the goal I thought he was really poor and Dunk, Rosenior & Huneymeier were the picks for me.

I thought Murphy was pretty lively throughout barring the last 5 minutes or so where he kept needlessly giving them possession back. On the other hand I didn't think too much to Rosenior at left-back as he didn't look too comfortable playing there. Funny how we all see the game differently.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
We played one trillion times better today then we did last time we were there. I can't not fault any player for their effort. Really happy with the point. Top and still undefeated :)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not the greatest performance and apart from scoring Murphy would be appraised as not meeting expectations in my view.

How Reading failed to score when 5 v 3 is beyond me but Stockdale made the save but sadly looked like to goal was a fumble so to speak.

Our goal was textbook and we pressed hard at times but were totally overwhelmed to long ball for large parts of the second half.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Good game that, really came to life when you took the lead. I was impressed with your no. 7, seemed to work hard, also Stockdale who had a blinder. BHA were probably the best side to come to the Madejski so far I'd say, definitely the most organised and hard to break down. I was also impressed with your fans (at least until the equaliser).

Nice post :thumbsup:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

I hope Blackmans inner ear infection clears up soon.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Heard Bruno went off injured. Any idea how bad?

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Exactly my thoughts. Great write up but Murphy, goal apart, wasn't good. Too narrow, lacked energy (wasn't making any runs) and can't remember a decent cross. Thought the BFG had a great game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here