Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

9 dart finish combinations.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
"I could have been a contender" on the darts stage if I'd been any good at maths. It always amazes me at how these professional players, who are hardly rocket scientists, are so good at adding up and can work out their finishes almost instantly in their heads with all that pressure. I'd be standing there for five minutes trying to add on my fingers.

They don't work them out, they learn them.
Throw after throw after throw, they are constantly going for the same finish combinations in hours and hours and hours of practise.

It's repetition that does it.

You only have to see their confused little faces on stage when they sometimes miss a big number or land in the wrong treble.
Most of them are completely incapable of recalculating, so they ask the referee what they have left.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
In Fridays Star it said that there are 4,944 combinations of how to complete a 9 dart game how many do we know:

I will start with a few: Treble 20 (180) , Treble 20,(180), treble 17 Treble 18 Double 18 (141) = 501.

180, 180, Treble 19 Treble 18 Double 15.
180 180 Treble 20 Treble 19 Double 12 (the usual)
180 180 Treble 17 Bull Double 20

Any not starting with 180 180?
By the way, the Star have got it slightly wrong.
There are 145 possible combinations giving a possible 3944 sequences to complete a nine-darter.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
They don't work them out, they learn them.
Throw after throw after throw, they are constantly going for the same finish combinations in hours and hours and hours of practise.

It's repetition that does it.

You only have to see their confused little faces on stage when they sometimes miss a big number or land in the wrong treble.
Most of them are completely incapable of recalculating, so they ask the referee what they have left.

You are right. I sit there sometimes thinking...' c'mon, c'mon...its not that difficult '...and yet they seem on auto-pilot. Its as if they are completely thrown and can't readjust.
As an aside, I never remember Bristow being flummoxed by anything ( sharp as a razor )

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Brissy is regarded as one of the best counters the game has ever seen.
As a kid he chalked games for his Dad, who wouldn't let him join in until he had learnt how to mark properly.
Served him well methinks :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here