Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Hart - do you agree?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Hart, Nogan and Zamora for me. In that order too, with an outside mention for Darren (Rock God) Freeman. Watching away games Gary Hart always gave it his all, and in spite of what many seem to think, prior to some pretty serious injuries had some considerable youthful talent/promise, and I'm willing to bet was being watched by bigger clubs into the bargain. I'll never forget the goal he scored away at Darlington alongside Ritchie Barker in attack... Hart beat his man and SMASHED it into the top corner from the edge of the box... Awesome and a legend indeed.

I miss his type of persona and player in our current team.

Kosh

Zamora 25

Mar 11, 2008
Brighton
45 goals in 373 appearances in 13 years is hardly banging them in or legend material, he did nicely to get a contract here all those years especially in light of the finances most of the time

I remember watching Harty like it was yesterday and I totally agree with his opinion on the club, it has changed but that was always going to happen.

But 45 goals in 373 appearances is not bad for a player who was very versatile! I remember him playing at Right back and that must of been for a couple of seasons at least! so correct he's hardly going to be 'banging them in' when playing right back, and many other roles in midfield.

And on the many occasions I met Gary he always signed ALL the autographs and had photos taken with fans.

Harty will always be a legend in my books.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Utter nonsense, imo.

Go anywhere behind the scenes in the stadium, and the place is covered floor to ceiling with images of honest triers like Gary Hart plying their trade at Withdean. The pre-match video shows the York pitch invasion, the celebrations at Hereford, the fans' march at Mellor. The club's head of communications is a Goldstone era fanzine writer. You're miles wide of the mark with that suggestion, for me.

I agree that it was a VERY proud time to support the club - strength in adversity, and all that - but you're stretching it a bit with the last part... :jester:

I'm not saying there aren't images around the stadium or videos on the screen. What I feel that it's been totally wiped from the culture of the club; the behaviour of the club doesn't reflect those roots (in my opinion). Noted re Gary Hart's prolific scoring....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I remember watching Harty like it was yesterday and I totally agree with his opinion on the club, it has changed but that was always going to happen.

But 45 goals in 373 appearances is not bad for a player who was very versatile! I remember him playing at Right back and that must of been for a couple of seasons at least! so correct he's hardly going to be 'banging them in' when playing right back, and many other roles in midfield.

And on the many occasions I met Gary he always signed ALL the autographs and had photos taken with fans.

Harty will always be a legend in my books.

Two seasons at right back? Give over. The occassional emergency stand-in.

He played a fair bit right midfield, I'll give you that, but more often as an 'attacking' player.

Doesn't account for returns of 0 in 9 (10/11), 0 in 19 (09/10), 0 in 11 (08/09), 0 in 8 (07/08), 2 in 28 (06/07), 1 in 36 (05/06)....

(yes, I'm bored)

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Two seasons at right back? Give over. The occassional emergency stand-in.

He played a fair bit right midfield, I'll give you that, but more often as an 'attacking' player.

Doesn't account for returns of 0 in 9 (10/11), 0 in 19 (09/10), 0 in 11 (08/09), 0 in 8 (07/08), 2 in 28 (06/07), 1 in 36 (05/06)....

(yes, I'm bored)

The facts don't lie ay? but they far from paint (ahem) or perhaps fully illustrate/illuminate the Gary Hart canvas do they? He was a good player, often in awful teams... in a better team (playing as a striker) with better service he'd have bagged some serious goals. I know this to be true, as it's what I believe to be so.

I wish he was 22 and fit to start vs. Boro... don't you?

So smoke it. :rock: & get him on the wall of utter legends.

Kosh

Last edited:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
If we were in League Two, yes.

Now do I detect a slight hint of derision?!? OK, IF he were surrounded by a floundering League Two team I would say he'd struggle. However a 22 y/o fit and fast Gary Hart, combined with his boundless effort in a team with Tex, Paddy et al. I'd say he'd be FAR more likely to score than our current Nacca-rd (out of sorts indeed) & Columbo combo and as for O'Grady; are you telling me he's better than a young Gary Hart?!? What are you basing that on? His goals to game(s) ratio, how he tore League two Burton a new one?

If I could somehow prove this, God how I would, but I can't hence your opportunity to buy me a pint slap me on the back and say: "Kosh man, you were spot on! that young Gary Hart certainly showed Boro where it's at i.e. the back of their f'ing net mate! wha ha ha ha ha ahh ah hah ah ha..." "You know something K Dogg, you're not quite the utter t w a t you appear to be on NSC, Jesus who'd of thought it..." and so on... Lordy Lordy what a night!

Kosh

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Now do I detect a slight hint of derision?!?

Not derision, no. I'm not in the habit of DERIDING guys who have sweat blood for the Albion. Hart is there with Revell, Barnes, CMS, etc as honest hard-working guys who always give of their best. Nothing worthy of derision there, from any Albion fan.

He just wasn't particularly GOOD, that's all. Mackail-Smith isn't quite good enough in this league, and his scoring record at the level Hart plied his trade is roughly 400% better than GH's.

Honest hard-workers are not going to get us up this division.

To be honest the only thing lacking in the current team that a peak Gary Hart would add, is a little aggression. Though Barnes, more recently provided this, along with a litle more quality (all just IMO, of course).

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Loved that goal he scored against Tranmere at Withdean.

They have some signed shirts in Dick's and there also some pictures on the stairs as you head up, I'm sure he's featured in one of them? But the numerous amounts of ex-players featured there's always going to be or two that feel they not represented well by the club.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'd have Hart down as a bit of a cult hero really, more than a bona fide legend, and I really mean that in a good way.

Came in at a time when the club was on its knees, did pretty well for a time in a very poor team (mostly), and- most important of all in the eyes of the fans- never gave less than 100%. All fans love a trier, and let's be honest, that final year's contract that he wangled was entirely down to his willingness to work his nuts off where other players perhaps weren't. The higher that team went though, the less he could offer on the pitch, simply because he was naturally a League Two level player at best. To suggest you'd want a fit, young Gary Hart to start against Middlesbrough in a week or so- I'm sorry but people are completely underestimating the level we're playing at now compared to then. Watch old videos of us in the fourth tier during Hart's prime. The games are absolutely bloody awful. I sometimes watch League Two games on the FL Show, and find myself marvelling at the low standard of some of what's on offer. We had that, every week, only even worse (as at least there are a few proper footballing teams down there now).

Can't fault Hart's efforts for the club, and I'm grateful to him for a fair few goals. But he wasn't even close to the likes of Zamora and even Leon Knight in terms of ability at that level. I don't necessarily think he warrants a place on the hallowed wall either (then again, I don't think Paul Rogers, Guy Butters or a couple of others do either). He'll always be welcomed by fans, and he'll always find his photo on the wall of one of the corridors somewhere. But let's not talk him up into something he wasn't, simply to suit the club-bashing agenda of a few on here.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd have Hart down as a bit of a cult hero really, more than a bona fide legend, and I really mean that in a good way.

Came in at a time when the club was on its knees, did pretty well for a time in a very poor team (mostly), and- most important of all in the eyes of the fans- never gave less than 100%. All fans love a trier, and let's be honest, that final year's contract that he wangled was entirely down to his willingness to work his nuts off where other players perhaps weren't. The higher that team went though, the less he could offer on the pitch, simply because he was naturally a League Two level player at best. To suggest you'd want a fit, young Gary Hart to start against Middlesbrough in a week or so- I'm sorry but people are completely underestimating the level we're playing at now compared to then. Watch old videos of us in the fourth tier during Hart's prime. The games are absolutely bloody awful. I sometimes watch League Two games on the FL Show, and find myself marvelling at the low standard of some of what's on offer. We had that, every week, only even worse (as at least there are a few proper footballing teams down there now).

Can't fault Hart's efforts for the club, and I'm grateful to him for a fair few goals. But he wasn't even close to the likes of Zamora and even Leon Knight in terms of ability at that level. I don't necessarily think he warrants a place on the hallowed wall either (then again, I don't think Paul Rogers, Guy Butters or a couple of others do either). He'll always be welcomed by fans, and he'll always find his photo on the wall of one of the corridors somewhere. But let's not talk him up into something he wasn't, simply to suit the club-bashing agenda of a few on here.

Exactly right.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

So legend status is only attributed to talent/ability?

Blimey, how the club and it's fans have changed. By that reckoning we'd have CKR at a higher 'legend status' than Danny Cullip. God help us!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
So legend status is only attributed to talent/ability?

Blimey, how the club and it's fans have changed. By that reckoning we'd have CKR at a higher 'legend status' than Danny Cullip. God help us!

I'm sorry. I must have missed the part of my post where I said only talent/ ability counted.

Legend status is conveyed by a combination of various factors, I'd say. Attitude is huge. Ability must come into it to a degree or a player wouldn't be in the side for long enough to warrant such status. Impact, contribution to success. All count. Personal opinion of course. But clearly nobody would pick CKR, that's a quite ridiculous thing to say.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I'm sorry. I must have missed the part of my post where I said only talent/ ability counted.

Legend status is conveyed by a combination of various factors, I'd say. Attitude is huge. Ability must come into it to a degree or a player wouldn't be in the side for long enough to warrant such status. Impact, contribution to success. All count. Personal opinion of course. But clearly nobody would pick CKR, that's a quite ridiculous thing to say.

It's pretty obvious to be fair, you just need to re-read your post.

Glad to hear it wasn't meant though as that would clearly be a quite ridiculous thing to believe. Much in the same way as believing that any views other than 100% backing to whoever works for the club is deemed to be a club bashing agenda. Such blind faith gets you into all sorts of problems; no harm in questioning what happens and judging issues on their merits.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Some top comments from Edna there. One thing I think we can all agree on is this: Gary Hart will be remembered for a significant time, by those who bore witness to his efforts and the occasional flash of (for me at least), a player with the potential to play at a higher level. I would however say in spite of some of the very lucid and sane remarks herein, that I would still put a fit young Hart on the pitch ahead of a devoid (in every sense) CMS, a seemingly vapid Colunga and a yet to kindle never mind ignite Oh 'will he make' the Grady. I realise some might cry: insanity Kosh, I hear the calls from the forum to sit down you insane leather clad rocker from yester yore somewhere north of Newcastle... yet if it were my nod to give, then nod I would in the direction of that dear Hart of Stanstead. I hear the crowd roar, I see the Hart score!

Alas it will never be, for the laws of physics (as I understand them) make it an impossible dream given pointless life by my minds highly productive fiction factory.

Kosh

Last edited:

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
It's not his goals that he will be remembered for, it's his work rate,away to Bristol Rovers in a nite game, was what he was all about,if you were there, you would agree, stands shoulder to shoulder with us in the terraces many a time, if only we had more players who showed his attitude

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here