Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Todays ref Stuart Attwell

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Stephens' booking was utterly ridiculous. Completely clean challenge. Not studs up.took the ball cleanly.

For me, Kolasinac was reckless in leading with his shoulder and should have been sent off. Seen it again on telly and not changed my mind.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Seriously? I think I'll go with Shearer's analysis on MOTD2.

Which included a comment that his tackle was not even a foul (and video evidence produced in support) - so, can yellow cards be appealed? This one was clearly wrong.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
The odd thing is that unjust as it was for Kolasinac to remain on the pitch, it sounded as though that eventually worked in our favour. I was only listening on the radio but prior to the incident it sounded as though we were really under the cosh. After that it seemed that we shut the game out and Arsenal actually created very little. Funny how these things work out.

I could have this wrong. I wasn't there. Happy to be corrected.

I agree. It came at a very good time for us and the game changed after.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The odd thing is that unjust as it was for Kolasinac to remain on the pitch, it sounded as though that eventually worked in our favour. I was only listening on the radio but prior to the incident it sounded as though we were really under the cosh. After that it seemed that we shut the game out and Arsenal actually created very little. Funny how these things work out.

Well the break in play may have helped us, but playing against 12 instead of 10 didn't.

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thought first half he was exceptionally good. But must have knocked back a fair few brandies at half time as second half was a display of abject incompetence.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
Apart from not sending off Kolašinac and booking Stephens for a perfectly good tackle he did okay. He played the advantage where possible, and brought play back if none gained.

The problem with Internet forums is, everyone gets to have an opinion until the thread is closed. This means that comments like this, which is factually correct - not an assessment or opinion, just purely the truth - is lost in the more of another 5 pages of people’s comments.

This is exactly it, but it is far too balanced and sensible. In an ideal world the thread would just end there.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
He made a couple of bad decisions like Stephens tackle which was a joke and Scheletto not even getting a free kick but he knew if he gave the free kick would have to send him off .

On the other hand he got their penalty dive shout right which was a silly swipe from Stephens but luckily he saw there was no contact .

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I think he was referring to the offside from the free kick in the first half. Definitely onside.

How about the penalty appeal in the second half?
If Attwell was so sure that it wasn't a foul (which it wasn't), shouldn't he have given Zhaka a second yellow for simulation?
Yes. Another howler. My son spotted that and said "why's he not been booked for diving?".

We got sod all from the ref all game and he made some awful decisions which could have cost us the points.

I was convinced when Bruno came on that they would be guaranteed a penalty if they got a corner.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

The heat certainly seemed to go from the game after the delay. This doesn't detract from the fact that his booking of Stephens for not committing a foul could only be rationalised by the referee thinking that the challenge was reckless and could have endangered an opponent, but that when Arsenal's player made a challenge that was obviously reckless and materially did endanger an opponent, he didn't apply the same logic. I would hope that Atwell has watched back the game and understood that he punished one challenge because he thought it looked reckless simply because of Stephens' speed and desire to win the ball and didn't punish the one that could have seen Schelotto leaving the stadium in an ambulance.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think the referees this season have been excellent, until today. He was shocking.

Gave everything their way and the Stephens booking and Kolasinic non-red were big, diabolical decisions.

It highlights again just how good our performance was against 12 men.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Having now watched the highlights again, I'd like to add another point:

I hadn't noticed earlier, but when Stephens tries to clear the ball and misses, and Xhaka goes down, he grabs his leg and griminesses as if in agony (looking for a penalty), despite having not been kicked. As he sees play has moved he just jumps up and gets into position to carry on, clearly not feeling any knock at all.

Cheating ****!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He was offside for the ball he put across for Murray to score. But don't think he was offside when the free kick was put through for him to run on to. Two different incidents.

Wrong on both counts.

Izquierdo was (correctly) called offside when he received the returned pass.

Then when Murray "scored" he was behind the ball when it was played, as Izqueirdo had pulled it back, therefore not offside. They made the right call on the initial pass back to Jose though. Tight...it was almost another Swansea. 3-1 would've saved my arsecheeks from a fearful clenching that last half hour.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Wrong on both counts.

Izquierdo was (correctly) called offside when he received the returned pass.

Then when Murray "scored" he was behind the ball when it was played, as Izqueirdo had pulled it back, therefore not offside. They made the right call on the initial pass back to Jose though. Tight...it was almost another Swansea. 3-1 would've saved my arsecheeks from a fearful clenching that last half hour.

He’s talking about a different offside to the disallowed goal one. There were a few very dubious decisions offside wise.

Also, nobody has mention the clear handball in build up to corner when they hit post?!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The Schelletto incident was baffling.
Anyone who genuinely thinks that was an accident hasn't seen the footage properly, or is a gooner.
Chris's view doesn't count because he pretty much never vocalises any dissent in interviews.

Yet again, I refer back to Hemed's trial by TV and subsequent red card.
How the absolute ****, can you compare the two incidents and consider one to be worthy of a red and the other an accident.

Ridiculous.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here