Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

B&HA Moochers

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
They are actually players not fans and it's from 1910/11 not 1906. The postcard is in David Ticehurst's book:

In the years leading up to the Great War novelty postcards were often produced by local photographers which proved very popular with the public. Taken during the 1910-11 season, this photo shows the Albion "Moochers" with a variety of props. Lto R: Back: Joe Lumley, Joe Leeming, Billy Booth, Ralph Routledge, Jimmy Smith. Seated: Jack Haworth, Tom Wake, Jimmy Coleman, unknown, Harry Middleton, Billy Miller, Bob Whiting

Well they'd just won the Charity Shield ! 1910 version of the 'Crazy Gang'.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Good work [MENTION=11720]kevo[/MENTION]

We have signed our fair share of Unknowns over the years .

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
attachment.php

The 1906 Version of NSC?

Brighton and Hove Albion defeated swindon 3-0 in the FA Cup on Saturday the 13th of January 1906

They are actually players not fans and it's from 1910/11 not 1906. The postcard is in David Ticehurst's book:

In the years leading up to the Great War novelty postcards were often produced by local photographers which proved very popular with the public. Taken during the 1910-11 season, this photo shows the Albion "Moochers" with a variety of props. Lto R: Back: Joe Lumley, Joe Leeming, Billy Booth, Ralph Routledge, Jimmy Smith. Seated: Jack Haworth, Tom Wake, Jimmy Coleman, unknown, Harry Middleton, Billy Miller, Bob Whiting

Found this, is quite interesting.:thumbsup:

http://www.photohistory-sussex.co.uk/BTNPannellB&HAlbion.htm

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I always thought a moocher was a loafer or scrounger as in the Cab Calloway jazz song. Does it have another meaning?
Great photo. Time for a revival?

Maybe because they scrounged all the items in the photo...?

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Amazing, and well ahead of it's time. Even using a sweeper decades before it became the norm in world football.

Very much so, 20 Woodbines, a beef and dripping sandwich all washed down with a couple of pints of Watneys Ale before kick off and the lads were raring to go.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Thats quality. Im loving the pyramid hats, witches broom and the bottles of ale.

Our firm looks like they could give anyone a run for their money in...erm..1906

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
Bob (Pom Pom) Whiting was killed in WW1 in 1917. I wonder how many more in that photo didn't survive.

WhitingB&HATeam1914-15.jpg

The Brighton & Hove Albion Football Team for the 1914-1915 Season pose for a team photograph taken by Ebenezer Pannell. Five of the players pictured in this team photograph were to lose their lives during the First World War. The five players who made the ultimate sacrifice (marked by a blue dot) were Charlie Matthews (inset, left), Bob Whiting (in the centre of the back row wearing the goalkeeper's jersey), Jasper "Ginger" Batey (standing in the middle if the third row next to Mr J. Robson, who wears a collar & tie), Ernie Townsend (the last player in the third row, standing next the assistant trainer, M. F. Coles) and Charlie Dexter (the player seated second left in the 2nd row of the team photograph).

http://www.photohistory-sussex.co.uk/Bob_Whiting_of_BHA.htm

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

The Brighton & Hove Albion Football Team for the 1914-1915 Season pose for a team photograph taken by Ebenezer Pannell. Five of the players pictured in this team photograph were to lose their lives during the First World War. The five players who made the ultimate sacrifice (marked by a blue dot) were Charlie Matthews (inset, left), Bob Whiting (in the centre of the back row wearing the goalkeeper's jersey), Jasper "Ginger" Batey (standing in the middle if the third row next to Mr J. Robson, who wears a collar & tie), Ernie Townsend (the last player in the third row, standing next the assistant trainer, M. F. Coles) and Charlie Dexter (the player seated second left in the 2nd row of the team photograph).

Really moving that. Surprised it wasn't more of them actually given the horrible carnage reaped on that generation.

RIP lads.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
attachment.php

The 1906 Version of NSC?

Brighton and Hove Albion defeated swindon 3-0 in the FA Cup on Saturday the 13th of January 1906

Thanks for this!

Was there any more info on it's origin or who these fellas were?

See below

The listing has gone. Someone must've bought it.

I did; see below. And, again...thanks.

The chap with the sign,is his cap on backwards?

Years ahead of his time, a real trendsetter

And it was his postcard.... see below.

Long shot, but does anyone have any information at all about these moochers?

We have a little more now...see below

Brilliant info - thanks - see below

Well they'd just won the Charity Shield ! 1910 version of the 'Crazy Gang'.

Was it this team that won the Charity Shield? If so, given its provenance, it's not impossible that the museum would want it - see below.

Enough teasing - but I'm excited.

You know how sometimes (read "often") you buy something off ebay and are disappointed when it arrives? All those potions with miracle body-lengthening claims, for example, which seem to have no effect other than make you smell like a vet's clinic? Ahem. Well - sometimes, just sometimes - you get a little gem:

attachment.php

OMFG.

Most of it is clearly legible, but there are two bits of black - which appear to be left-overs from where the card has been stuck into an album. I suspect that with the right chemical (which will take off black paper, but leave behind black fountain pen ink - nope; no idea, but I know a document restorer who will - unless there's one on here??) we'll be able to find out what lies underneath - as it happens, they obscure two pretty important pieces of info...

Anyway, this is what we have:

On the left - a little bit of punctuation added, just to make it easier to read:

"D(ear?) P?...l?l? [ok - Dear Who??!!]

Just a P.C of the Brighton & Hove Moochers & a lively lot we do look[.] I suppose you will know most of us[.] so glad to hear you are getting on alright[.] from/ Joe Lumley"

On the right:

"We have just left o(f/j) u?.. [where have you just left??] and I am just writing l/t... [these?] lines in your dear old ...... [oh, FFS, where?]. I suppose you will have a good laugh when you see it & I have some more to send to you when I can get them [random "Wi/ell Pay" inserted here??]. I hope you are keeping well and I send you my best wishes and best of luck from/ Joe Lumley."

The card has never been stamped or franked. Perhaps Joe wrote the left side first, intending to send it by post, then wrote a second message on the right - a total guess.

It would be great to get the black stuff off - we can then see to whom it was sent (a former player perhaps - "...I suppose you will know most of us..."?)

Joe Lumley is, according to @kevo , the guy on the back left, with the poster...

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Absolutely FANTASTIC.

Post of the year so far I reckon. Wonderful work, [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION].

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex

And this is one reason we sing GOSBTS - always get a tingle when the music cuts out and we carry on singing. Anyhow, be great if the current team would recreate the Moochers

And this is one reason we sing GOSBTS - always get a tingle when the music cuts out and we carry on singing. Anyhow, be great if the current team would recreate the Moochers

Everyone around me sings about going up to win a cup, I'm still not sure what that has to do with Marching to War.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here