Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GIant PLANT pots in the road ? Mmmkay

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Sorry BOF, but if you can't see a hazard there, you need to retake your test.

It seems to have worked down on Madeira Drive. If/when i drive down there, i hope to see the hazard. I'll re-take my test if i don't.

I was, shame on me, driving at 25 in the 20. I had a big 4x4 on my backside. We both turned in to the new Waitrose. What was the rush?!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Maybe you don't appreciate the redevelopment of the Level, Queen's Road, Seven Dials, open market, etc - or the 700 new homes it has built (and two new libraries). Or maybe you aren't aware of the future development plans of Royal Sussex County Hospital, Circus Street, North Street, i360 or the Marina and more... or maybe you didn't hear that Brighton was voted European City of the year for sustainable transport in 2014.

...or maybe you are so obsessed with your right-wing bias, that you refuse to accept the unprecedented rate of improvement of the city during their time as council. They really have been great - what exactly have they done that you dislike so much?

The redevelopment of Queens Road ? You mean thousands spent on slightly wider pavements and planters ( which have never had anything growing in them except weeds ) ? Money spent even after locals residents didn't want it. Or maybe the Seven Dials that is already breaking up and that had safety barriers removed against both residents and charities for the blind objecting ( we'll ignore the debacle with the tree ). The Open Market and library building were passed by the previous administration ( the Jubilee Library even opened under the previous administration ).

Ah, RSCH, fitting ever more buildings on a wholly inadequate space, at a site with utterly poor public transport and even worse parking.

i360 - a corrupt deal through and through. Two Tories voted for it to ensure it was passed after an under the table deal. Thanks to them and the Greens we the council taxpayers are now liable for a loan that the council have given to a developer who is over £2m in debt.

Lets throw in Edward Street - over a year late and businesses failing because of lost business. Speed bumps needing to be replaced because they were too severe. Pavements replaced at huge cost when they didn't need to be ( but don't worry it's a grant - nowt to do with taxpayers money at all ! ). Or the Lewes Road improvements - Buses now travel more slowly over the distance and local roads have become rat runs. What about the Gyatory ? Completely pointless spending of £600k and the introduction of dangerous cycle lane ( which then had to be fixed at taxpayers expense ).

Parking fees - car parks and on street parking charges have gone up in multiples of inflation. Permit prices - it was promised when they were set up that the charges would only cover the cost of running the scheme. They now sit at £160 a year - way over the cost of running the scheme after multiple over inflation busting rises in charges by the Greens.

Permits forced on residents around Preston Park station - and even then they mucked up the installation of the meters and signs.

Well above inflation increases in fees for sports facilities. An attempt to increase allotment fees in multiples of inflation - surely you can't get more Green than allotments ? And when I tried to speak to Green councillors about it they ignored me ...... until after they lost the vote when I got emails from them slagging off the Tories and Labour.

Maybe the requests for stupidly high increases in council tax make them attractive .... er no.

Or maybe one of their councillors taking the piss out of Hangleton residents wanting CCTV installed to combat anti-social behaviour and drug dealing ? Yes, that'll make them popular.

The new plans for the Palace Pier roundabout ? Utterly idiotic.

Of course you'd expect the Greens to improve air quality and recycling rates ? Think again !!!! And Kitcat had the audacity to suggest the reason for low recycling rates was students - the very people who got got the Greens in ( and admitted by the Green candidate for Hanover when they lost the by-election ).

Then let's take a look at their councillors - Duncan ( c**t, supports violence and makes 'jokes' about stoning his daughter, although he's now an ex-Green but only after he became too much even for this pathetic party ), Kitcat ( male - utter mealy mouthed tosser ), Kitcat ( female - slut who thinks the people of this city are inbreds ), Davey ( a lair ), Phillips ( buggers off to Africa almost the moment she's elected to represent her voters ), Deane ( very shouty and loves travellers - to the point that she wants to double the budget for supporting them ), Macafferty ( sh1ts in microwaves ) and then we come onto the utter loon who is Hawtree.

I suggest, if they are available, you go and watch the recordings of previous council meetings - especially the budget setting ones - each and every Green that speaks shows themselves up as a dimwitted political bandstanding idiot wanting to play the political game - no different to the other parties other than they are completely out of their depth ( and strangely I thought you wanted a change to the system but you love the Greens ? ).

Nationally ? All I can say is watch the car crash that is the Natalie Bennett interview and if you still want to vote Green then I stand by my claim you need committing.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I genuinely thought they were new communal bins for the residents there when I drove past earlier

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The redevelopment of Queens Road ? You mean thousands spent on slightly wider pavements and planters ( which have never had anything growing in them except weeds ) ? Money spent even after locals residents didn't want it. Or maybe the Seven Dials that is already breaking up and that had safety barriers removed against both residents and charities for the blind objecting ( we'll ignore the debacle with the tree ). The Open Market and library building were passed by the previous administration ( the Jubilee Library even opened under the previous administration ).

Ah, RSCH, fitting ever more buildings on a wholly inadequate space, at a site with utterly poor public transport and even worse parking.

i360 - a corrupt deal through and through. Two Tories voted for it to ensure it was passed after an under the table deal. Thanks to them and the Greens we the council taxpayers are now liable for a loan that the council have given to a developer who is over £2m in debt.

Lets throw in Edward Street - over a year late and businesses failing because of lost business. Speed bumps needing to be replaced because they were too severe. Pavements replaced at huge cost when they didn't need to be ( but don't worry it's a grant - nowt to do with taxpayers money at all ! ). Or the Lewes Road improvements - Buses now travel more slowly over the distance and local roads have become rat runs. What about the Gyatory ? Completely pointless spending of £600k and the introduction of dangerous cycle lane ( which then had to be fixed at taxpayers expense ).

Parking fees - car parks and on street parking charges have gone up in multiples of inflation. Permit prices - it was promised when they were set up that the charges would only cover the cost of running the scheme. They now sit at £160 a year - way over the cost of running the scheme after multiple over inflation busting rises in charges by the Greens.

Permits forced on residents around Preston Park station - and even then they mucked up the installation of the meters and signs.

Well above inflation increases in fees for sports facilities. An attempt to increase allotment fees in multiples of inflation - surely you can't get more Green than allotments ? And when I tried to speak to Green councillors about it they ignored me ...... until after they lost the vote when I got emails from them slagging off the Tories and Labour.

Maybe the requests for stupidly high increases in council tax make them attractive .... er no.

Or maybe one of their councillors taking the piss out of Hangleton residents wanting CCTV installed to combat anti-social behaviour and drug dealing ? Yes, that'll make them popular.

Of course you'd expect the Greens to improve air quality and recycling rates ? Think again !!!! And Kitcat had the audacity to suggest the reason for low recycling rates was students - the very people who got got the Greens in ( and admitted by the Green candidate for Hanover when they lost the by-election ).

Then let's take a look at their councillors - Duncan ( c**t, supports violence and makes 'jokes' about stoning his daughter, although he's now an ex-Green but only after he became too much even for this pathetic party ), Kitcat ( male - utter mealy mouthed tosser ), Kitcat ( female - slut who thinks the people of this city are inbreds ), Davey ( a lair ), Phillips ( buggers off to Africa almost the moment she's elected to represent her voters ), Deane ( very shouty and loves travellers - to the point that she wants to double the budget for supporting them ), Macafferty ( sh1ts in microwaves ) and then we come onto the utter loon who is Hawtree.

I suggest, if they are available, you go and watch the recordings of previous council meetings - especially the budget setting ones - each and every Green that speaks shows themselves up as a dimwitted political bandstanding idiot wanting to play the political game - no different to the other parties other than they are completely out of their depth ( and strangely I thought you wanted a change to the system but you love the Greens ? ).

Nationally ? All I can say is watch the car crash that is the Natalie Bennett interview and if you still want to vote Green then I stand by my claim you need committing.

cant argue with that,best rant ive seen on here for ages :clap:

"sh1ts in microwaves" :lolol:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Its the main access road into Brighton not some backwater residential street. At peak times cars are going to be vying for space that is squeezed so cars have to give way to each other, an accident waiting to happen. I'm normally one to welcome traffic calming but on a main thoroughfare it is completely stupid and dangerous.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs

Fabulous rant mate.
This shower we have on the council couldn't find their a r s e with a map.
That why I'm voting UKIP this time. They couldn't do any worse.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's not actually as narrow as it looks down there, despite these planters (& we were querying them a tad at work the other day on coming across them).

I suppose the argument will be that it's a 20mph limit on that road anyway, & if you're going fast enough not to be able to react to the giant plant pots being in your way, then it's nobody else's fault but your own.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Shirley they would come under these restrictions I found on the .gov.uk website?

""Skip licence (England and Wales)

Overview

Contact your local council for a skip licence if you want to put a skip on a public road.

In most areas, skip hire companies are responsible for getting skip licences, also sometimes called skip permits. In some areas you’ll need to do it yourself.
You need a licence for:

• skips
  • hippobags and other skip bags
Restrictions

You can’t put a skip on the pavement. You don’t need a skip licence if you’re putting the skip entirely on private land.
You may need to put safety lights and markings on or around the skip. This could include:

• reflective markings
  • traffic cones
  • night-time safety lamps
  • the name and telephone number of the skip hire company
Contact your local council to find exact rules for lights and markings in your area.
Fines and penalties

If you don’t put up the required safety lights and markings, you could be fined up to £1,000."

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Maybe you don't appreciate the redevelopment of the Level, Queen's Road, Seven Dials, open market, etc - or the 700 new homes it has built (and two new libraries). Or maybe you aren't aware of the future development plans of Royal Sussex County Hospital, Circus Street, North Street, i360 or the Marina and more... or maybe you didn't hear that Brighton was voted European City of the year for sustainable transport in 2014.

...or maybe you are so obsessed with your right-wing bias, that you refuse to accept the unprecedented rate of improvement of the city during their time as council. They really have been great - what exactly have they done that you dislike so much?

I really do try not to be a disgruntled 'Hoveite' but have you seen the common factor in everyone of those schemes you have mentioned?

The clue is in the location.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Shirley they would come under these restrictions I found on the .gov.uk website?

Overview

Contact your local council for a skip licence if you want to put a skip on a public road.

In most areas, skip hire companies are responsible for getting skip licences, also sometimes called skip permits. In some areas you’ll need to do it yourself.
You need a licence for:

• skips
Restrictions

You can’t put a skip on the pavement. You don’t need a skip licence if you’re putting the skip entirely on private land.
You may need to put safety lights and markings on or around the skip. This could include:

• reflective markings
  • traffic cones
Contact your local council to find exact rules for lights and markings in your area.
Fines and penalties

If you don’t put up the required safety lights and markings, you could be fined up to £1,000."

The council will vehemently argue they are not skips but giant plant pots. You don't need LED lighting and reflective markings on a plant pot.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Overview

You need a licence for:

• skips
Restrictions

• reflective markings
  • traffic cones
Fines and penalties

No, because they're not skips :)

They do have reflective markings on, it appears. Be a terrible hazard for drink drivers using Viaduct Road though.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I used to think nothing would surprise me with this council.

But then I picked up the Argus yesterday and read this

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1178..._Council_leader_nominated_for_national_award/

A COUNCIL leader has proved himself more popular with award judges than some members of his own party after being shortlisted for a national prize.

Brighton and Hove City Council leader Jason Kitcat has been shortlisted for the judges’ special award at the sixth national councillor achievement awards just weeks after fighting off renewed calls by his own party members for him to stand down.

Award organisers said Councillor Kitcat was shortlisted for the award in recognition of his “leadership and drive” as the head of a first time minority administration and for his work “overcoming significant challenges”.

The outgoing leader, who has announced he will take a break from politics after May, is the only Sussex politician to make the shortlist for ten awards featuring more than 50 councillors from around the country.

Coun Kitcat will go head-to-head with politicians from Carlisle, Westminster, Stockton-On-Tees and Lewisham at the awards ceremony held on Monday March 2 at the Lord Mayor’s Parlour in Westminster City Council.

The winners will be selected by a group of judges made up of local government experts and councillors.

Award organisers, think tank Local Government Information Unit and fund managers CCLA, said the judges’ special award will be given to a councillor who has shown a “demonstrable contribution to local government” over a number of years.

Winners will be picked for longevity of service, positions of leadership or extra responsibility on the council, a significant number of achievements over a period of years and contributing to improved outcomes for their local communities, the award criteria states.

Coun Kitcat said he believed that he had been nominated by someone from within the local business sector.

He added: “I’m delighted and honoured to be shortlisted for this award.

“Brighton’s many successes are due to the hard work and partnership approach of many people across the city so this nomination recognises all of their efforts.”

Labour group leader Warren Morgan said: "Despite our political differences I would like to congratulate Jason on this award as he is stepping down in a few weeks.

“He has not had an easy time over the past three years, having to deliver Conservative cuts whilst being constantly challenged, opposed and undermined by his fellow Green councillors, Green Party members and Green Party MP Caroline Lucas."

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Shirley the obvious thing to slow down traffic there would be to remove the double yellow lines from both sides of the road ???
No offence to anyone that lives there, but I've always thought that road would a dreadful place to stay.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
It's not actually as narrow as it looks down there, despite these planters (& we were querying them a tad at work the other day on coming across them).

I suppose the argument will be that it's a 20mph limit on that road anyway, & if you're going fast enough not to be able to react to the giant plant pots being in your way, then it's nobody else's fault but your own.

I have waited a good 24 hrs before replying to the original article, and Edna agin is the point of common sense.

I do not want a lot of response to what I am going to post, but on July 2 2013. I spent a goo couple of hours on the Preston Circus junction considering suicide, and had worked out that sometimes traffic is well over 40mph by the time it's by the Fire Station, on a clear run.

I'm very much over that very dark period of my life now, but stupid or not, I understand the idea of those planters.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Three car collision on Viaduct Road yesterday, one car spun off the road hitting a pedestrian who was taken to hospital with minor injuries.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Fabulous rant mate.
This shower we have on the council couldn't find their a r s e with a map.
That why I'm voting UKIP this time. They couldn't do any worse.

I'm always genuinely interested to hear why people vote for parties with solely national issues for local council positions?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here