Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

****** The Official January Transfer Window Thread *******

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Exorbitant running costs of the stadium, players wages much higher than Withdean, general wages astronomical compared to Withdean years I'd imagine, extra running costs due to training facilities.

Do you remember those Withdean days when we were missing out to teams like Reading;suggestion at the time being that their new ground meant that we couldn't compete financially? Now we're saying that the overheads of such a stadium are restictive.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Do you remember those Withdean days when we were missing out to teams like Reading;suggestion at the time being that their new ground meant that we couldn't compete financially? Now we're saying that the overheads of such a stadium are restictive.
Ah yes - the great conundrum. Either you can't afford a decent stadium or you have a decent stadium you can't afford...........

Serious question - how many English clubs (apart from Arsenal) are actually making money? And how long can that bubble go on without bursting?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Ah yes - the great conundrum. Either you can't afford a decent stadium or you have a decent stadium you can't afford...........

Serious question - how many English clubs (apart from Arsenal) are actually making money? And how long can that bubble go on without bursting?
Newcastle United have post tax profits of nearly £10m, and they've been in profit 3 years on the bounce.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Indeed, it's quite the conundrum isn't it.

albion1972

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
we are not skint what horseshit. We just spent nearly half a millon on a player.Some of the shit on here is well just shit.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
This transfer window has been so boring, not just for Brighton. Can anyone give me any exciting transfers that have happened this month to any teams?

Think Cuadrado will be a great signing for Chelsea if they get it done in time. Along with Hazard and Costa, he will make up a pretty formidable front three.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
The number of loan signings we've had this season has massively contributed towards our predicament so to sign another one would be a huge disappointment. The club seem to be so complacent this season I can honestly see us going down as this is the fourth transfer window in a row that we have failed to bring in any real quality.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well, so far it hasn't actually been a bad transfer window for us.

Halford loan extension, ( and he was originally the Maksimenko replacement anyway ).
Kayal replacing Toko.
Best replacing Colunga.

However, it is what happens today which will make or break the window for us.

McCourt to go ? ??? and a replacement brought in ?
CMS to go ? ??? and a replacement brought in ?

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
This transfer window has been so boring, not just for Brighton. Can anyone give me any exciting transfers that have happened this month to any teams?

How do you mean 'exciting'? I'm very happy with our business but I wouldn't expect a Brighton fan to be excited, are there any in previous years that you were excited about?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The number of loan signings we've had this season has massively contributed towards our predicament so to sign another one would be a huge disappointment. The club seem to be so complacent this season I can honestly see us going down as this is the fourth transfer window in a row that we have failed to bring in any real quality.

Have to say I agree. The complacency demonstrated by our board as we hover so dangerously just above the relegation zone is staggering and, even more remarkably iMHO, this complacency seems to have rubbed-off on some fans (a minority) on here. Personally, I think the thought of being relegated, which would be an enormous and unmitigated disaster for our club, should mean the cheque book is well and truly out.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well, so far it hasn't actually been a bad transfer window for us.

Halford loan extension, ( and he was originally the Maksimenko replacement anyway ).
Kayal replacing Toko.
Best replacing Colunga.

However, it is what happens today which will make or break the window for us.

McCourt to go ? ??? and a replacement brought in ?
CMS to go ? ??? and a replacement brought in ?

Kemy to go. Replaced by the fitter and leaner Eric Pickles.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The club seem to be so complacent this season.

Well its been frustrating results wise and you can argue they've made wrong decisions, but complacent ? In the last 2 months they've replaced their manager and sacked their Head of Football Operations, ultimately responsible for the summer recruitment. Despite all the ins/outs in the summer, they've tried to strengthen the squad with (emergency) loans of Halford, Bent and EBennett before Christmas in attempt to improve results. And now in this window they've signed a ex Champs league midfielder, brought in an ex Prem League striker, and secured Halford. They might even do more business today.
Hardly sitting on their hands.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Andy Naylor [MENTION=14853]andy[/MENTION]NaylorArgus
Follow
Bit of non-transfer news to disappoint headline writers. Albion will not be making a move for Tranmere midfield prospect Max Power. #bhafc
8:58 AM - 2 Feb 2015

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The complacency demonstrated by our board as we hover so dangerously just above the relegation zone is staggering and, even more remarkably iMHO, this complacency seems to have rubbed-off on some fans (a minority) on here. Personally, I think the thought of being relegated, which would be an enormous and unmitigated disaster for our club, should mean the cheque book is well and truly out.

Are you suggesting the club have done nothing in the last 2 months given where the SH regime left us... ? (see my other post but signing 5 new players, sacking the bloke responsible for recruitment, changing your manager/coaching team).

Or that the board is unaware what a massive risk relegation is ? Its spelt out in black and white in the recent financial accounts for example.

You can argue they've made and continue to make wrong decisions to get the club up the table or strengthen the squad in your view but complacency ? or naive about relegation threat ? Hardly.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Well its been frustrating results wise and you can argue they've made wrong decisions, but complacent ? In the last 2 months they've replaced their manager and sacked their Head of Football Operations, ultimately responsible for the summer recruitment. Despite all the ins/outs in the summer, they've tried to strengthen the squad with (emergency) loans of Halford, Bent and EBennett before Christmas in attempt to improve results. And now in this window they've signed a ex Champs league midfielder, brought in an ex Prem League striker, and secured Halford. They might even do more business today.

sorry gave you thumbs down instead of up.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Whilst I genuinely admire your positivity - is that positive spin? - as has already been pointed out, many of the loans have been part of the problem, and I cannot shift the feeling of too little, much too late. We've managed to turn a top 6 squad into an, at best, mid-table one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here