Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marathon Thread

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
That is a brilliant time! I normally reckon Three forts is about an hour longer than a flat fast road marathon?
Would you agree?

Yeah possibly, most of the hills are runable though unlike the end of Beachy.. and with some quick downhills i would say more like half hour... But then saying that i cant really get on with long flat road runs.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good running [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] and@Dazzer6666. Most impressive. Certainly not on for me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ive heard its tough..Harder than the sdw50? Its a training run for the sdw100. Going to test my navigation al skills! though the centurion runs are well marked..

I know the NDW is considered harder than the SDW (not checked but I think finishing times bear this out). Course will be well marked - and as it's a 50 with prob 3-400 entrants you'll probably have other runners in sight most of the time anyway (as long as they know where they are going LOL)

Pleased with a 4:02 at Bewl reservoir marathon this morning. If you like small fields, mainly trail running, not too hilly, running close to water but not on the prom, lots of shade, a very large bling of medal, 8 feed stations all with variety of drinks gels & cakes, loads of bluebells & smashing views then this is the marathon for you!

Tommy Tradlles

Aug 22, 2014
Chichester
Pleased with a 4:02 at Bewl reservoir marathon this morning. If you like small fields, mainly trail running, not too hilly, running close to water but not on the prom, lots of shade, a very large bling of medal, 8 feed stations all with variety of drinks gels & cakes, loads of bluebells & smashing views then this is the marathon for you!

I came in at 4:00:23 just failing to break four hours bur an 11 improvement on the previous year. According to my Garmin watch the course was short of the marathon distance. The watch recorded 25;80 which meant it was quite a way short as it is usual to run more than the 26:2 miles.

I came in at 4:00:23 just failing to break four hours bur an 11 improvement on the previous year. According to my Garmin watch the course was short of the marathon distance. The watch recorded 25;80 which meant it was quite a way short as it is usual to run more than the 26:2 miles.

Interesting as my farm in recorded 25.71 miles. My mates farming was only 400 metres short!
What's your next marathon/ultra event?

Tommy Tradlles

Aug 22, 2014
Chichester
Interesting as my farm in recorded 25.71 miles. My mates farming was only 400 metres short!
What's your next marathon/ultra event?

The Chiltern 50k in July. It will be my first ultra so it will be a challenge. I spoke to quite a few ultra runners yesterday including one young woman whose first ultra was the South Down 50 mile event.

The Chiltern 50k in July. It will be my first ultra so it will be a challenge. I spoke to quite a few ultra runners yesterday including one young woman whose first ultra was the South Down 50 mile event.

Good luck! Of my 86 marathons-ultras I have only ran 2 ultras both 50k's. That's far enough for me! My advice is start a few seconds per mile slower than a normal trail marathon & finish slower :)

Another weekend gone & our marathon/ultra group have knocked up 2 more marathons:

Marathon/Ultra numbers:

Pembury: 7 - North Downs Way 50m May 2015
dazzer6666: 38 - Arun river May 2015
Tommy Tradlles - 13 - Chiltern 50k July 2015
Steve Foster: 86 - Battle of Britain August 2015
Greg Bobkin: 3 - Isle of Wight Oct 2015
Y Ddraig Goch: 3 - Snowdonia Oct 2015
knocky1: 3 - Brighton April 2016
BenElton'sBrother: 3 - Brighton April 2016
Herr Tubthumper: 4 - Chicago Oct 2016

Richy_Seagull: 4
blockseagull: 4
big nuts: 3
Mr Blobby: 3
TotallyFreaked: 3
Wondergull 1

Keep running ....................:vuvu:

And our marathon list grows .....

Marathon/Ultra numbers:

Pembury: 7 - North Downs Way 50m May 2015
dazzer6666: 38 - Arun river May 2015
Tommy Tradlles - 13 - Chiltern 50k July 2015
Steve Foster: 86 - Battle of Britain August 2015
Greg Bobkin: 3 - Isle of Wight Oct 2015
Y Ddraig Goch: 3 - Snowdonia Oct 2015
knocky1: 3 - Brighton April 2016
BenElton'sBrother: 3 - Brighton April 2016
Herr Tubthumper: 4 - Chicago Oct 2016

Driver8: 4
Richy_Seagull: 4
blockseagull: 4
big nuts: 3
Mr Blobby: 3
TotallyFreaked: 3
Wondergull 1

Keep running ....................:vuvu:[/QUOTE]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sdw 50 was my first ultra. Definitely recommend it.

This. Anyone who can do a marathon can do 50k, and even 50 miles. No need to go further than marathon distance in training (I used marathons to train for the recent 50 miler, you just need a few back to back weekends - for example this week I am doing a marathon on Saturday and 15 miles on Sunday). Key things are - go slower from the start, make sure you fuel from the start (liquid and food - gels aren't really enough for 50 milers, you need real food) and don't be afraid to walk quite a bit (virtually everyone apart from the elites does - usual tactic on something like the SDW50 is walk the uphills and run the flats/downs for example). Practice EVERYTHING in training over and over again - food, kit, hydration, electrolyte balance, uphill walking, sh*tting in hedges etc. For events more than say 6-7 hours, I'd say nutrition is the most important - get it wrong and the whole thing can become miserable. Finally, keep speedwork in your training programme -vitally important.

The ultrarunning community is brilliant - hugely friendly, almost no-one is stressed about times and all very supportive

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I've done two marathons. I was under-trained (injuries) for both and consequently suffered the classic problems around the 21 mile mark. Both ended up around the 4 hour 20 minute time which was a long way from the sort of times I 'should' have done (I ran a 1:31 HM, some years before) - had I been prepared. One was fairly low profile (Taunton) and the other was the London. The former even had a 'sweeper' vehicle to collect anyone doing sub 4:30 - something that if implemented in London would need to collect about 20 thousand runners! As it happened both were on very hot days.
So like many others my advice is that anyone contemplating a marathon needs to put the miles in. Yes, I've got 2 marathons on my running CV, but I only have rather painful and disappointing memories of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here