Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Oxfam sex abuse scandal

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
This thread is a disgrace. The only thing the usual right wing suspects are discussing is the left's perceived lack of outrage, the actual topic has been ignored and a very important issue is being used for point scoring. Disgraceful. Disgusting thread which is best left to rot.

But you saw fit to join in? My first post in this thread before you ask.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Oh dear Clamp; what a huge presumption on your part.

You want to talk about presumption? You said you wanted to know what the left's take on the Oxfam scandal was. Or rather you have claimed you know what the left's position is ( your presumption).
A slightly less agressive, perhaps more intelligent person than yourself may have posted the link to the Oxfam story (what you claim is the matter in hand) and waited to see what the left leaning folks on here thought on it? Rather than your approach, which was to start a thread launching an attack on people becuae you don't think they are outraged enough.
Truly pathetic.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I know someone who worked for a commercial company in the DC Congo for many years and she despised the NGOs. This story would match some of those she had.

Interesting. I wouldn't be able to comment on or equate these Oxfam revelations with NGOs I met during my time in Africa and their conduct, but whenever I ran into any, of any nationality, in a bar etc I would always avoid them/avoid being in earshot of having to listen to them. They were generally very annoying. If these Oxfam revelations are the tip of an iceberg, it will apply to other nationals from western countries too.

The worst and most common type of NGO I would run into were Peace Corps from The US - ultra smug, ultra condescending, ultra patronising, ultra Christian and ultra unable to deal with the concept that not everyone in developing countries are desperately poor and they could be best summed up by the shock and almost venom in their eyes by two of them at me and the Asian proprietor of a phone shop having a lengthy conversation about the previous days tied England v India ODI at the 2011 cricket world cup.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
But you saw fit to join in? My first post in this thread before you ask.

Yes, I did, as unpleasant as it is. However, I have made my point and I now see fit to move onto more fulilling threads about pies and such like.

Keep giving people! Not all charities are gravy trains for predatory nonces.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Whilst absolutely abhorrent, this actually happened in 2012. It is being reported now because Jacob Rees Mogg is calling for foreign aid to be reduced.

A billionaire advocating taking money from the world's poorest. The media need to report on aidworkers when they are terrible but the timing is strange

Which "billionaire" is advocating taking money from the worlds poorest ?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
You want to talk about presumption? You said you wanted to know what the left's take on the Oxfam scandal was. Or rather you have claimed you know what the left's position is ( your presumption).
A slightly less agressive, perhaps more intelligent person than yourself may have posted the link to the Oxfam story (what you claim is the matter in hand) and waited to see what the left leaning folks on here thought on it? Rather than your approach, which was to start a thread launching an attack on people becuae you don't think they are outraged enough.
Truly pathetic.

Oh come off it ,Clamp.
Aggressive ? No, not me mate, look at the aggression in a number of your own posts.
As far as intelligence is concerned, that is not for me to judge and almost certainly not your call either.
I didn't launch an attack on people because I didn't think they were sufficiently outraged, I just wanted to see what the level of condemnation would be by those left leaners who were so swift to have a go at a bunch of pissed up rich men a few weeks ago.
Anyway, as you say, best to move on now and talk about pies and our chances of staying in the Prem.
Yup, I will keep on giving. My chosen charity is Great Ormond St. Hospital and wow, haven't they suffered a blow, finance wise. Personally, I think they should keep the dosh raised by the President's Club and spend it as they see fit.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Indeed, but in today's climate ,it comes as no surprise.
As for me, I am just interested to hear what those who were so vocal about the relatively tame President's Club scandal, thought about this latest 'outrage'.
So far, not much response....hmmm?

Can you please show me one response on the Presidents Club Thread, the Darts Girls Thread, The F1 girls thread and now this one where anyone has suggested they are 'outraged'?

If not, stop trying to be divisive and suggest double standards when they really are not there. Everybody, without exception, has condemned this scandal in very strong terms. Trying to make a (thinly veiled) point score out of two very different events just does not work given this is the case.

For what it's worth, I'm far more outraged by this than all of the other issues/incidents combined. Can I still be a leftie whinger?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Can you please show me one response on the Presidents Club Thread, the Darts Girls Thread, The F1 girls thread and now this one where anyone has suggested they are 'outraged'?

If not, stop trying to be divisive and suggest double standards when they really are not there. Everybody, without exception, has condemned this scandal in very strong terms. Trying to make a (thinly veiled) point score out of two very different events just does not work given this is the case.

For what it's worth, I'm far more outraged by this than all of the other issues/incidents combined. Can I still be a leftie whinger?

Oh blimey,SeagullRic, I was going to move on from this. I was using 'outrage' rather like people throw around the term 'offended, dinosaur, snowflake' etc.
I am very pleased everyone has condemned this scandal.
I have no idea whether or not you are a leftie whinger, but if I had to make an educated guess, I would say no you are not.

Jan 30, 2008
Unless I have missed something, I am surprised that there has been no thread on the charity sex scandal involving 120 aid workers from Britain being accused of sexual abuse in the last year.
Additionally the revelations that Oxfam workers paid locals for taking part in organised sex parties in Haiti is surely worth a comment or two from the worthies of NSC, especially after all the moral judgements made against the 'President's Club' nasty rich men for touching up and trying to kiss scantily clad hostesses.
Just goes to show, those wonderfully moral high ground charity workers are just as bad, or even worse than the 'over privileged nobs'.
Come on you Lefties, rise up in anger and have a pop at the do gooders doing bad, or stand ready to be accused of hypocrisy!:)???
charity begins at home:thumbsup:still waiting on those Arabs to dig into their pockets to help out
regards
DR

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
This thread is a disgrace. The only thing the usual right wing suspects are discussing is the left's perceived lack of outrage, the actual topic has been ignored and a very important issue is being used for point scoring. Disgraceful. Disgusting thread which is best left to rot.

I agree about point scoring, but I see this a little differently from you.

First, I don't think this issue has been ignored, I think we have all agreed that this was despicable behavior, a massive betrayal of trust, and worthy of wholesale condemnation.

The fact that people also have a couple of questions for you is not at the expense of dealing with this topic.

Calling this thread a disgusting disgrace is an expression of outrage, and your rhetoric was similar in the President's Club thread, it also demonstrated outrage. The one topic you have not expressed quite the same level of outrage about is this one, which is the one topic truly deserving of outrage.

The conclusion I have come to is that you reserve your outrage for wealthy and powerful people, people you call "right wing" and for people who question your consistency. I.e. your outrage is for point scoring. You don't care about defending the people you claim to want to defend, you care about attacking the people you want to attack. Even in this thread you've directed more anger at the OP than you have at the perpetrators of sexual exploitation in this case.

That is what is being pointed out to you, not to score points, but because people who behave like that should be called on it, and if it makes you feel uncomfortable, good. It should.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Oh blimey,SeagullRic, I was going to move on from this. I was using 'outrage' rather like people throw around the term 'offended, dinosaur, snowflake' etc.
I am very pleased everyone has condemned this scandal.
I have no idea whether or not you are a leftie whinger, but if I had to make an educated guess, I would say no you are not.

That is precisely my point- using those sorts of cheap stereotypes is very unhelpful, and hinders the ability to have a proper exchange of opinions based on the specific issue or scandal being debated.

Thanks for what I think was a compliment but I'm actually quite hurt, as I'd describe myself as a leftie whinger and proud!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
That is precisely my point- using those sorts of cheap stereotypes is very unhelpful, and hinders the ability to have a proper exchange of opinions based on the specific issue or scandal being debated.

Thanks for what I think was a compliment but I'm actually quite hurt, as I'd describe myself as a leftie whinger and proud!

Ha-ha Ric, I am sure you are a good fellow, whatever your views!::thumbsup:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My plea to the good folk of NSC, don't let stuff like this put you off charitable giving, don't be swayed by some of the bile spilled on this thread, just do your research pick things that matter to you and well run charities and support them with what you can in terms of your time and or your money.

Spot on.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here