Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JCLs to be upgraded

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I first saw Albion in 1987, I was born and grew up in the Hastings area and have always followed and watched both my hometown non-league club and Albion and became really extra hooked on Albion in 1996 as I lived in Brighton for 2 years. I've seen Albion at all 4 home grounds, but because I lived abroad for two and a bit years up until 2012, I didn't go to The Amex for the first time until well into 2012, and became a season ticket holder as soon as I could after that. So am I a JCL and a traitor to my local non-league team, even though I still follow and watch Hastings occasionally, despite being Sussex born and raised?

Probably...;) i don't think local non league support counts as a 'rival'. You are indeed a man of Sussex!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Does the F stand for f***ing?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why? Surely it's no worse than someone going from Worthing, Lewes, Eastbourne, Horsham, Crawley, etc down to Brighton? Those people too have turned their backs on their local clubs in order to support a bigger one. And every single one of the, perfectly valid, reasons they can give for choosing to support Brighton over their local team are exactly the same reasons as people give when asked why they support London Prem sides and not Brighton.

It seems the 'you should support your local club' rule only goes one way.

If everyone DID support their nearest local, amateur side then we'd have a load of non-league clubs getting crowds of 1,000 all over Sussex with no top level professional side in the county. I assume you DON'T want that to happen?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Spot on , i take this disapproval also extends to people born in England who support India, Pakistan, West indies etc [MENTION=258]Pavilionaire[/MENTION] ?

Why would you assume that? Someone born in Chichester of Sussex parents has no cultural attachment to Arsenal, but there's nothing wrong with, say, someone of Indian parentage into their cricket wanting to support India.

It just comes down to whether - as a fan - you've got any personal / cultural / geographical link to your chosen team.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I still have no idea what the 'F' stands for..

I like the JCI post earlier on. JCImminently. Like a horde of zombies slowly walking up to the Amex in anticipation.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
When does a JCL stop being a JCL? I became hooked just towards the very end of the Withdean era. Having studiously done my research into this amazing club since then, I feel I have a better knowledge than most of those who didn't witness first hand the dark years, and I still reflect with a mixture of shame and awe on those who lived through those times, stuck by the club and saved it from destruction. I've had a relatively cushy time since then as an Albion supporter, the biggest traumas so far being the Hyypia season, and last season's bitter-sweet finale, but I genuinely believe that nothing would induce me to change allegiances now - there is so much more to this club than just (usually, obviously not now) mediocre football and a nice ground. Am I allowed to not be a JCL any more?

Pretty much where I am as well.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I would have thought it was pretty clear. Think 'Anglo Saxon adjective.'

That's what I meant when I asked if it was something that would be asterisked here if I wrote it.

But the blindingly obvious isn't always right. It might have been fortuitously, or fortunately, or forlornly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Alan Davies always points out that 'football tourists' are the reason there's no atmosphere at the Emirates.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Thank ****. I'll admit I became a proper fan in 2013, but then I wasn't really into football at all before that and I was 15 so I guess it makes it okay (awaits sarcastic and aggressive replies :rolleyes:).

Seriously that whole "I think I'm going to get a season ticket when they go up" statement makes me want to cringe. Cringe so much.
I don't have one because I couldn't afford it. And now that I can I probably won't be in Sussex for the majority of next season anyway so there's no point.

But if I could've I would've had one for at least the last 2-3 seasons, including the Sami Hyypia disaster one.

In a way I am not looking forward to us going up (whether it be this year or in 10 years). I can;t afford a season ticket at the moment and have my second child on the way which is another complication to throw into the mix in terms of childcare if my wide is working

However, the boy and I have managed 6 games so far this season which isn't bad for a 200 mile round trip to the AMEX. However I have a horrible feeling that it will be increasingly difficult to get down were we to go up.

I am not one of these people that would expect to see us v Chelsea, United etc. just because I had a season ticket at Withdean, but it would be nice to know that I could go down and see a game at some stage instead of a load of twats jumping on the bandwagon and taking up seats against Watford, Bournemouth, Everton etc.

Hopefully the club resist the urge to up the level of season ticket holders (if that is even possible)

I was a ST for most of the time at the Goldstone, did go to Gillingham quite a lot and an infrequent visitor at the Withdean.
I'll admit I cannot afford a season tickets for my wife and myself, but as [MENTION=28761]carteater[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3110]Paul Reids Sock[/MENTION] have mentioned, we try and get to the Amex at least 6/7 times a season.
We go to more away games local to us, relying on opposition fans getting us tickets, only to be cautious in celebrating to where we are seated, enemy territory basically.
The coming Brentford game we are going with my mate who has got us tickets!
Still getting to see the team I love and support!
No rose tinted glasses needed to tell me it's going to be harder to get tickets, once in the PL :albion2:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Selfie sticks, half & half scarves and filming the match on iPads.
After spending £200 in the club megastore.

You can hardly blame clubs for courting those fans, all the while their core support is having a shitfit about losing free tea & coffee.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Alan Davies always points out that 'football tourists' are the reason there's no atmosphere at the Emirates.

Went to the Nou Camp when we were on holiday - even worse than the Emirates. Felt like at least half the crowd were tourists if not more. All the resorts were selling tickets (we were based 90 miles away) with inclusive bus travel etc. Very obvious in the ground that most had no real interest in the result.

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
Can someone tell me when you stop being a JCL please. I started when we moved into the Amex like plenty of others and have this season also gone to all but 2 away games and that includes the friendlies. Any chance of an upgrade please��

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have 2 season tickets. My second ticket is used by Mrs T when its feasible (complicated life), family of the lovely boys who sit near me, a few mates who support the Albion but live miles away or are skint, my brother (my other brother supports Leeds and refuses to join me, even if we are playing Leeds - in fact especially, which is commendable) and occasionally people I know from the old Mailing List who live in Hawaii and elsewhere.

There is no chance on God's sweet earth, none whatseover, I will be extending my largess to carpetbaggers. I'd rather punch myself in the face.

GREAT thread, BTW, and hats off to the OP :bowdown::wave:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here