Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex By The Sea

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
2014 is the centenary of the start of the First World War , if it wasn't for the men and boys from Sussex laying down their lives this forum would be Nordstandplatz Chat.

What you say still doesn't undermine the point that the language of the 1910s sounds quite dated now.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Nice re-write. :thumbsup:

But it's still too male-centric, and you haven't done anything with the merry bugles reference.

The military and farming themes could also do with a re-write. I would love to hear what a fully updated version of the lyrics, that truly embody these times in an uplifting way, would be like.

Ok :lolol: I've got rid of bugles and dropped the boys :shrug:

Now is the time for football,
Now let your hearts bleed blue,
Salute to the soaring seagulls,
Flying the whole way through,
So let your voices sing out loud,
And take the time from me,
And I’ll sing you a song as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Ok :lolol: I've got rid of bugles and dropped the boys :shrug:

Now is the time for football,
Now let your hearts bleed blue,
Salute to the soaring seagulls,
Flying the whole way through,
So let your voices sing out loud,
And take the time from me,
And I’ll sing you a song as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea!

Good work! I'm not sure about the third from last line, but the rest reads well, I think.

If you, or anyone else, could have a stab at rewording the other lyrics, so they capture the struggles of the 1990s, the fight for a new stadium, reaching the top flight in 1979 and the FA Cup Final in 1983 and the Amex era, we could have an anthem that speaks to everyone!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I've seen some utterly awful ideas on NSC but this takes the biscuit. Terrible idea. Leave it be. If people can't be arsed to learn the lyrics I suggest you don't lose any sleep. One thing's for sure while you JCL's are dribbling out your revised, Bieber-ised modern lyrics I will be ROARING out the original and only lyrics to GOSBTS.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
I like the idea of a slightly 'updated' version, and I'm normally a traditionalist with stuff like this.

The current version - I would guess - can only be recited by a very small percentage of our fan base. Not because of JCL's or whatever you want to call them, but because it is difficult song to learn. You will never hear the full lyrics to it unless you listen to it on Youtube; how many people in their right mind are going to do that and practice it until they know it by heart? As nice as it would be, an updated and slightly simplified version which still acknowledges the club's history (as [MENTION=12839]Goldstone Rapper[/MENTION] has suggested above) would have more chance of working, especially if the lyrics were played over the tannoy so people could become accustomed to them and hopefully learn them.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Good work! I'm not sure about the third from last line, but the rest reads well, I think.

If you, or anyone else, could have a stab at rewording the other lyrics, so they capture the struggles of the 1990s, the fight for a new stadium, reaching the top flight in 1979 and the FA Cup Final in 1983 and the Amex era, we could have an anthem that speaks to everyone!

We do sort of salute when we shout seagulls.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
FFS. Yeah just rewrite it cos it uses language that's a bit old. :shootself

These youngsters think they know it all :lol: Norman Wisdom's version is getting on for 50 years old , perhaps that should be rewritten as well.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
We do sort of salute when we shout seagulls.

Sorry, it was the 'take the time from me' lyric I didn't quite understand.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Maybe we need our local schools to start getting it sung in assemblies?! That way the next generation should know it!:D

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Sorry, it was the 'take the time from me' lyric I didn't quite understand.

It does take time out of our lives supporting them?

There are two versions anyway. We have the one when players come onto the pitch, and the other one is:

Good Old Sussex By the sea, Good Old Sussex By the sea, and we're going up to win the cup, Sussex by the Sea ----- ALTOGETHER NOW (repeat forever) This is the best adaption, forget the verses.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I like the idea of a slightly 'updated' version, and I'm normally a traditionalist with stuff like this.

The current version - I would guess - can only be recited by a very small percentage of our fan base. Not because of JCL's or whatever you want to call them, but because it is difficult song to learn. You will never hear the full lyrics to it unless you listen to it on Youtube; how many people in their right mind are going to do that and practice it until they know it by heart? As nice as it would be, an updated and slightly simplified version which still acknowledges the club's history (as [MENTION=12839]Goldstone Rapper[/MENTION] has suggested above) would have more chance of working, especially if the lyrics were played over the tannoy so people could become accustomed to them and hopefully learn them.

I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard for people to learn the first 2 verses, really not difficult. I don't think verse 8 is likely to get an airing.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
This one just goes around. And around. And around…

Modernise the words? Sure. And while you're at it, how about updating Abide with Me? Or jazzing up Jerusalem? Why not? Because the emotional appeal of those songs is totally bound up with their beautifully archaic language.

Don't put words up on the screens because of possible ridicule from other fans? Who cares – there simply is no more instantly effective way of getting those unique lyrics simultaneously in front of 20,000-plus faces.

Let's not kid ourselves, we're never going to be singing all five verses at the Amex. But learning just the first verse, plus chorus and refrain is easily manageable for anyone with real pride in our Sussex Heritage.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
What annoys me is the "der-der-der-der" at the beginning, then towards the end of the first verse, they cut in with "And were going up.....", which isnt the correct bit.

It really isnt hard, but then our fans are useless with songs/singing etc. Lots cant even get the Oscar Garcia song correct by singing "He's got more stubble", then there was when we had Vicente at the club - many of our fans couldnt even say his bloody name properly. That Viva Orlandi and Rohan Ince songs arent that hard to learn either, yet they dont get sung.

Songs and our fans dont mix im afraid !!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Nice re-write. :thumbsup:

But it's still too male-centric, and you haven't done anything with the merry bugles reference.

The military and farming themes could also do with a re-write. I would love to hear what a fully updated version of the lyrics, that truly embody these times in an uplifting way, would be like.

Were the sniffer dogs in the 1901 anything to do with merry bugle? :jester:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I think one of the main problems is that the 1st verse in particular is far too dated - it will never catch on.

"Now let your hearts be gay" and "hark to the merry bugles" may have been appropriate 100 years ago, but today it sounds a bit odd.

That is the whole appeal of GOSBTS, it's got history, nobody else can sing it,it belongs to us, if we started to use some nonsense like, simply the best, we would have lost a part of the soul of our club. So what if people don't know all the words, or if the meaning of the words have changed over the years, Shakespeare and Burns are loved for just this reason, and nobody suggest re-writing their works.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
The only bit people know is "we're going up and we'll win the cup" because it is modern and relevant to football. Do you have a problem with that rewrite?

If not, then what is stopping Albion fans creating a verse that is relevant to football, so that our fans can sing along to that bit too - rather than "der der der"

So what your essentially saying is the average Albion fan is incapable of learning/signing the correct words so we need some words that they can understand a little more? What makes you think the obviously thicko fan will be able to learn new 'modern' words? Are blue and white stripes a bit yesterday too, maybe you could suggest a new colour scheme as well!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The music is so loud you wouldn't be able to hear singing anyway - it's not a particularly raucous song either...

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
So what your essentially saying is the average Albion fan is incapable of learning/signing the correct words so we need some words that they can understand a little more? What makes you think the obviously thicko fan will be able to learn new 'modern' words? Are blue and white stripes a bit yesterday too, maybe you could suggest a new colour scheme as well!

Unfortunately I suspect the average Albion fan can't be arsed to learn the words hence my suggestion for putting the first two verses in the matchday programme. I can't see why this couldn't be done, it would only take up half a page and as others have said on this and many other similar threads on the subject, it's part of our DNA as a club and of being Sussex so it would be entirely appropriate. In fact I'm going to suggest it to the club.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This one just goes around. And around. And around…

Modernise the words? Sure. And while you're at it, how about updating Abide with Me? Or jazzing up Jerusalem? Why not? Because the emotional appeal of those songs is totally bound up with their beautifully archaic language.

Don't put words up on the screens because of possible ridicule from other fans? Who cares – there simply is no more instantly effective way of getting those unique lyrics simultaneously in front of 20,000-plus faces.

Let's not kid ourselves, we're never going to be singing all five verses at the Amex. But learning just the first verse, plus chorus and refrain is easily manageable for anyone with real pride in our Sussex Heritage.

So, so, so very much this. What an absolutely dreadful idea. It's our song. Anyone who doesn't like it can just sing a different song, not fxck about with GOSBTS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here