Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T: Zip Files

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
So, i've received a zip file which is password protected, however the password that is supposed to be correct...well, isn't.

Does anyone know of any methods to bypass or crack the password for a zip file? I've tried various combinations of the possible password with no luck.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I read this as Zip Flies.

Which would have been a quite different thread.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Can you not ask the sender to re-zip and send it again?

Frustratingly, no - they decided that as they had sent it to me they didn't need the files anymore so deleted them :clap:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not strictly related to the topic in hand [MENTION=22929]Grombleton[/MENTION], but was that you I spotted loitering outside the newsagents by the railway arches just down from Preston Park the other day?

dog3.jpg

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
So, i've received a zip file which is password protected, however the password that is supposed to be correct...well, isn't.

Does anyone know of any methods to bypass or crack the password for a zip file? I've tried various combinations of the possible password with no luck.

There are tools available to try a brute force password attack. Your success will depend on the length and complexity of the password used and the encryption method.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Frustratingly, no - they decided that as they had sent it to me they didn't need the files anymore so deleted them :clap:

When you password protect a zip file you have to enter the password twice, don't you? In which case the sender couldn't have created the password incorrectly, so he must have made a mistake when he sent you the password. If it's letters only the mistake is usually an uppercase letter or lack thereof. If it's letters and numbers the mistake is normally using the letter instead of the number e.g. i instead of 1 or e instead of 3 or o instead of 0. You may have tried these options already but maybe, just maybe, it'll help you crack the password.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Not strictly related to the topic in hand [MENTION=22929]Grombleton[/MENTION], but was that you I spotted loitering outside the newsagents by the railway arches just down from Preston Park the other day?

View attachment 78198

I'm a regular down there. Say hi next time!

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
100% your best option is to brute force it. It's just going to take time.

There are a fair number of free tools available to download for free. Make sure you've got up to date virus protection just in case you choose a dodgy one.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here