Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5 years from now

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Are we about to, or have we peaked? This journey can’t keep going like it has over the last five years....can it?

If it does then we will have a trophy / European football at the end of it.

Incredible really that since we moved to the Amex ( bar that 1 rogue season ) , we have been absolutely flying . That's about a 7 year buzz , the momentum has been unbelievable.

It will be strange to many younger ones when we do have a shit season.

For the older ones , they barely saw a good one.

7 years !!!!!!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Since when did a Premier League team not threatening the top 10 not be one of the favourites for relegation ?

If a team doesn't challenge for the top half it's one of those who might be going down.

??? Deconstructing a post from 2014 :lolol:

to be fair to the OP when he posted it, if you could get more points than Old Etonians and Leicester Fosse back then it practically guaranteed safety ...

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Your second paragraph was 100% accurate. Thrashed by Derby, Oscar's resignation, Hyppia's hopelessness, Nathan's rescue games, & Chris Hughton's safety mid-table finish.

Except that we finished 5th from bottom! We had that good run with Jones and Hughton stabilised further but at the end of the season we were in terrible form, I remember some here calling for Hughton's head.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Whatever happens over the next week, it's fair to say that we are now an established top championship side. That is massive progress from where we were 5 years ago. So where do you think we will be 5 years from now?

For what it's worth, I think we will be a Premier League team that won't yet threaten the top 10 but are not favourites for relegation either. We might get turned over once or twice a season, but will also win the odd game against one of the 'top sides'. And a long cup run always a possibility. (Sad to say, just where Palace will probably be next season!)

As you're a year ahead with Albions PL maiden voyage :clap:
Perhaps you could predict their date for entering the CL :thumbsup:
I'm a bit disappointed you haven't given us an impeachment date for the demise of that buffoon from over the pond :wink:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Except that we finished 5th from bottom! We had that good run with Jones and Hughton stabilised further but at the end of the season we were in terrible form, I remember some here calling for Hughton's head.

Yes, and we only got that far up the table because Rotherham were deducted points! Norwich fans (oh, they knew so much!) were already saying 'Told you so!'

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting that although relegated teams are awash with parachute payments only one team of the last six promoted to the Premier League bounced straight back after relegation. The Championship is a fecking jungle!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Interesting that although relegated teams are awash with parachute payments only one team of the last six promoted to the Premier League bounced straight back after relegation. The Championship is a fecking jungle!

I can't be bothered to look it up but, in the past five years, we may have seen more teams relegated than bounce straight back - Wolves, Wigan and Sunderland spring to mind. Some statto probably knows but it must be pretty close

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I can't be bothered to look it up but, in the past five years, we may have seen more teams relegated than bounce straight back - Wolves, Wigan and Sunderland spring to mind. Some statto probably knows but it must be pretty close

Purely from memory the bounce backs since 2013 have been:

QPR (play offs)
Norwich (play offs)
Burnley (winners)
Newcastle (winners)

Not many out of 15 potential promotion spots. Meanwhile Sunderland dropped straight through and many others have struggled in the bottom half of the table, despite being in receipt of parachutes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Purely from memory the bounce backs since 2013 have been:

QPR (play offs)
Norwich (play offs)
Burnley (winners)
Newcastle (winners)

Not many out of 15 potential promotion spots. Meanwhile Sunderland dropped straight through and many others have struggled in the bottom half of the table, despite being in receipt of parachutes.

Hull?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Whatever happens over the next week, it's fair to say that we are now an established top championship side. That is massive progress from where we were 5 years ago. So where do you think we will be 5 years from now?

For what it's worth, I think we will be a Premier League team that won't yet threaten the top 10 but are not favourites for relegation either. We might get turned over once or twice a season, but will also win the odd game against one of the 'top sides'. And a long cup run always a possibility. (Sad to say, just where Palace will probably be next season!)

Would you have ever guessed that our biggest moans would be about only getting a 3m transfer fee for a back-up defender and not being allowed to bring flasks to the Amex?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I recall someone on here and I won't name names ''calling for his head'' in the year we missed out in the ''play offs'' - If I recall it was after losing to Ipswich around Christmas time and when I asked who would you replace him with. The person responded ''Jose Mourinho''

Look how that turned out given last Sunday's result.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
??? Deconstructing a post from 2014 :lolol:

to be fair to the OP when he posted it, if you could get more points than Old Etonians and Leicester Fosse back then it practically guaranteed safety ...

:ffsparr:

I still haven't got my head round these threads that pop back again. I often miss the dates.

I'm half expecting 'Thatcher becomes Tory leader' to appear soon...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
:ffsparr:

I still haven't got my head round these threads that pop back again. I often miss the dates.

I'm half expecting 'Thatcher becomes Tory leader' to appear soon...

Relax, I do the same all the time. We are all mere mortals :lolol::cheers:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Would you have ever guessed that our biggest moans would be about only getting a 3m transfer fee for a back-up defender and not being allowed to bring flasks to the Amex?

What? That's outrageous! Barber out! Sack the board!

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
If it does then we will have a trophy / European football at the end of it.

Incredible really that since we moved to the Amex ( bar that 1 rogue season ) , we have been absolutely flying . That's about a 7 year buzz , the momentum has been unbelievable.

It will be strange to many younger ones when we do have a shit season.

For the older ones , they barely saw a good one.

7 years !!!!!!!

I’d say that this team must have been one of the most successful in all of football in this millennium (relative to the division they are in)

2000-01 - Division 3 Champions
2001-02 - Division 2 Champions
2002-03 - Relegation to Division 2
2003-04 - Playoff Winners to Championship
2004-05 - 20th Championship
2005-06 - Relegation to League 1
2006-07 - 18th League 1
2007-08 - 7th League 1
2008-09 - 16th League 1
2009-10 - 13th League 1
2010-11 - League 1 Champions (Keep up)
2011-12 - 10th Championship
2012-13 - Playoff Semi Finalists (Paper Ceiling)
2013-14 - Playoff Semi Finalists
2014-15 - 20th Championship
2015-16 - Playoff Semi Finalists
2016-17 - Championship Runners Up
2017-18 - 15th Premier League

Apart from between 2006-10 and a couple of relegations we have achieved in 17-18 years:

5 Promotions
3 Reached Playoffs (not counting the promotion)
A rise from bottom division to Premier League

On a points per game basis over that time we must be in the top ten teams out of the 92 - we have won far more games than we have lost and we have had a lot to celebrate on the pitch, as well as off it.

We really are very very lucky!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I’d say that this team must have been one of the most successful in all of football in this millennium (relative to the division they are in)

2000-01 - Division 3 Champions
2001-02 - Division 2 Champions
2002-03 - Relegation to Division 2
2003-04 - Playoff Winners to Championship
2004-05 - 20th Championship
2005-06 - Relegation to League 1
2006-07 - 18th League 1
2007-08 - 7th League 1
2008-09 - 16th League 1
2009-10 - 13th League 1
2010-11 - League 1 Champions (Keep up)
2011-12 - 10th Championship
2012-13 - Playoff Semi Finalists (Paper Ceiling)
2013-14 - Playoff Semi Finalists
2014-15 - 20th Championship
2015-16 - Playoff Semi Finalists
2016-17 - Championship Runners Up
2017-18 - 15th Premier League

Apart from between 2006-10 and a couple of relegations we have achieved in 17-18 years:

5 Promotions
3 Reached Playoffs (not counting the promotion)
A rise from bottom division to Premier League

On a points per game basis over that time we must be in the top ten teams out of the 92 - we have won far more games than we have lost and we have had a lot to celebrate on the pitch, as well as off it.

We really are very very lucky!

Some of us 'older ones' go back well before the millennium!

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Some of us 'older ones' go back well before the millennium!

Me too - I was just referring to the last 18 years as being relatively a very successful period of time as the previous poster had said about just the time we had been at the Amex.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Me too - I was just referring to the last 18 years as being relatively a very successful period of time as the previous poster had said about just the time we had been at the Amex.

Yeah true.

Doesn't feel like that ( maybe due to the off field things ) but you are correct

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here