Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] (Dickheads in) club cricket.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Kinell. If you can catch and throw, any decent cricket club (particularly with a ladies team but not exclusively) will welcome you with open arms. Immediately puts you ahead of most of the (mostly male) players in the 3s and 4s at junior’s club in BH. Seriously. Give it a go.........

Kinell, if only I'd found cricket clubs as willing as that to welcome me (and I'm male) with open arms! Maybe things have changed now - too late for me. Arthritic hips prevent me running, jumping or throwing myself about (or even walking far without a stick)!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Kinell, if only I'd found cricket clubs as willing as that to welcome me (and I'm male) with open arms! Maybe things have changed now - too late for me. Arthritic hips prevent me running, jumping or throwing myself about (or even walking far without a stick)!

That would put you in our thirds currently.......you should see the 4ths [emoji23][emoji23]

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
We've discussed this before - I've described how I turned my back on League cricket years ago, due to the proliferation of dinlows taking themselves too seriously.

Spotted this on the BBC, from over the weekend.

Opposition batsman on 98 - two runs short of his first ever ton, with two runs needed to win the game. So the opposition bowler chucks a deliberate no-ball to the boundary to finish the game. What an utter, utter prick.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/45075013

I'm trying to imagine the parochial spat that would make someone be such a weapons grade dick.

Please let it be a personal spat between bowler and batsman regarding best strawberry prize at the allotment summer festival.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
We've discussed this before - I've described how I turned my back on League cricket years ago, due to the proliferation of dinlows taking themselves too seriously.

Opposition batsman on 98 - two runs short of his first ever ton, with two runs needed to win the game. So the opposition bowler chucks a deliberate no-ball to the boundary to finish the game. What an utter, utter prick.

Pretty much exactly this happened in a game I was playing in 20 years ago. It was a Sunday FRIENDLY game at Bexhill (I'm happy to name and shame them). We are a purely friendly village team but with some decent players. Bexhill clearly thought we were useless nomarks and declared early at 200-odd. They then thought they had our opener caught behind (they hadn't, we have a strict walking code and boot out anyone who dissents at all from this, and the guy in question is unshakeably honest). We only lost 1 wicket and as we approached their total is was nip and tuck whether said batsman would get to a ton. Bexhill were not taking a heavy defeat well, bickering among themselves, and they bowled deliberately wide twice, the keeper making no attempt to stop the ball as it sped to the boundary, the second time for the winning runs.

Petty, vindictive and sad. You won't be suprised to hear we haven't played there since.

PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That would put you in our thirds currently.......you should see the 4ths [emoji23][emoji23]

Oh if only I could be in the thirds, even just once! Even if -shock horror - the team included ladies! For years I dreamed of playing one last cricket match before I ....well, you know. Ain't gonna happen now, though.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Pretty much exactly this happened in a game I was playing in 20 years ago. It was a Sunday FRIENDLY game at Bexhill (I'm happy to name and shame them). We are a purely friendly village team but with some decent players. Bexhill clearly thought we were useless nomarks and declared early at 200-odd. They then thought they had our opener caught behind (they hadn't, we have a strict walking code and boot out anyone who dissents at all from this, and the guy in question is unshakeably honest). We only lost 1 wicket and as we approached their total is was nip and tuck whether said batsman would get to a ton. Bexhill were not taking a heavy defeat well, bickering among themselves, and they bowled deliberately wide twice, the keeper making no attempt to stop the ball as it sped to the boundary, the second time for the winning runs.

Petty, vindictive and sad. You won't be suprised to hear we haven't played there since.

PG

Interesting. I'll declare an interest here and state I have connections to Bexhill cricket club, though not as player myself. If it was 20 years ago when you played them in 1998 then they would have been defending Sussex Premier Cricket League champions as they won the league the year before in 1997. They were some seriously good players in the team at the time obviously and I can think of a few who'd play hard and chirp and sledge on the pitch etc, I can imagine if you were just a village team as you say, then some egos would have been bruised and I can think of a few players who may have had a sore head from the preceding Saturday night, though I'm surprised they'd have gone that far. I'm not doubting you in the slightest though. I'm intrigued enough to make some enquires on that, though very few of that title winning side are involved with the club now.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
There's a cricket forum I check occasionally and this was posted on there talking about the batsman:

Used to play in this league, my old club are in the same division this season. The batter chucks it while bowling pace to the point where all the other teams in the league complained and sent in slow-mo video footage about 5 years ago when he was at a different club. Was also unpopular with other teams back then because of how he acted, would not be surprised in the slightest if there was an incident earlier in the game.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I too was surprised they went that far, I was umpiring at the time! We were so furious we left without buying a drink which is the main purpose of playing for many of us!

I can't be certain, but I think it was 1997. Bexhill were clearly a strong club then but did come across as 'entitled'. We had 3 batsmen in the form of their lives (none of whom play(ed) League cricket regularly) who all scored a lot of runs that year.

TBF I have been back to Bexhill CC since whilst coaching a junior team in the Festival, and they were perfectly nice. What was apparent at the time in 97, though, was that the incident was orchestrated between at least bowler and wicketkeeper, unlike the recent incident where it appears one guy lost his rag.
Interesting. I'll declare an interest here and state I have connections to Bexhill cricket club, though not as player myself. If it was 20 years ago when you played them in 1998 then they would have been defending Sussex Premier Cricket League champions as they won the league the year before in 1997. They were some seriously good players in the team at the time obviously and I can think of a few who'd play hard and chirp and sledge on the pitch etc, I can imagine if you were just a village team as you say, then some egos would have been bruised and I can think of a few players who may have had a sore head from the preceding Saturday night, though I'm surprised they'd have gone that far. I'm not doubting you in the slightest though. I'm intrigued enough to make some enquires on that, though very few of that title winning side are involved with the club now.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I play 3rd XI in the Surrey Championship for a London based club which is an OK standard without being brilliant. I've played for around 15 years for the same side and still love it - some of my best mates I met through the club and we still play in the same side and have a strong "social" ethos. The general rule for us on oppo is the closest they are to Croydon the more tw@tty they're likely to be which usually holds true (and also in football/life in general of course). But largely games are hard fought but fairly well mannered. But this year, after a couple of promotions we've encountered the "big clubs" (the ones whose first teams tend to have ex pros most of us have heard of) who regularly turn up with their own "neutral" umpire who then can insist on umpiring both ends based on being "qualified" (once sat in a classroom with some other old blokes for a few hours). The level of cheating is staggering. After one game we were so hacked off we checked the stats - and in the last 1.5 seasons the side had been awarded 3.5 times more LBWs than had been given against them!

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Minor league cricket has turned to shit really. Too many Billy BigBollocks who act like they're playing in the Ashes - sledging, sweary send-offs etc are now the norm. Like HKFC I stopped playing it but still watch junior quite often - can get quite unpleasant - never used to be like it, even at more senior levels.

That's more the old-school 'rules are rules' nobs. My next door neighbour got called in the the secretary's office at his former club and was told he'd 'been seen on the course with an untucked shirt'. At the same club, I was in the bar having a drink after a round on a very hot day and a member spoke to the guy I'd played with and asked him to ask me to 'fully comply with the dress code'. Apparently sandals without socks wasn't allowed. I told him he could speak to me directly but he completely blanked me and said to my pal 'Please advise your guest I only speak to members'

Agree thats pathetic he wouldn`t speak to you directly.........However like anything anywhere where rules are in force they should be adhered to...Anyone not liking it does not have to play !!

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’m HH these days. I have literally never played, so I’d be absolutely starting from scratch. Always had a decent throwing arm (I know this from playing alternative ball games at school!), can catch, and used to be pretty decent at hitting a rounders ball or baseball. But have zero actual cricket experience other than watching.

I did glance at those soft-ball events advertised by the ECB, but imagined they were probably aimed at kids or players a fair bit younger than me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should try Burgess Hill St Andrew's.... http://standrews.play-cricket.com/website/web_pages/175328

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’m HH these days. I have literally never played, so I’d be absolutely starting from scratch. Always had a decent throwing arm (I know this from playing alternative ball games at school!), can catch, and used to be pretty decent at hitting a rounders ball or baseball. But have zero actual cricket experience other than watching.

I did glance at those soft-ball events advertised by the ECB, but imagined they were probably aimed at kids or players a fair bit younger than me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or alternatively Burgess Hill CC do beginner sessions http://www.burgesshillcc.co.uk/girlsladies-cricket/

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

PG

Bexhill :lolol:

Crikey this is very much not a life-affirming thread. Having denounced him, I'm coming over a bit Corbyny again...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I play 3rd XI in the Surrey Championship for a London based club which is an OK standard without being brilliant. I've played for around 15 years for the same side and still love it - some of my best mates I met through the club and we still play in the same side and have a strong "social" ethos. The general rule for us on oppo is the closest they are to Croydon the more tw@tty they're likely to be which usually holds true (and also in football/life in general of course). But largely games are hard fought but fairly well mannered. But this year, after a couple of promotions we've encountered the "big clubs" (the ones whose first teams tend to have ex pros most of us have heard of) who regularly turn up with their own "neutral" umpire who then can insist on umpiring both ends based on being "qualified" (once sat in a classroom with some other old blokes for a few hours). The level of cheating is staggering. After one game we were so hacked off we checked the stats - and in the last 1.5 seasons the side had been awarded 3.5 times more LBWs than had been given against them!

I have to say, having read this thread, that institutionalised hitmeinthefacery seems to be a new thing I'd missed. So they do their prancing ninny thing, and then you just hit them in the face? Sounds a bit stupid to me. I'm out.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Despite all of the above. As a parent, cricket is still streets ahead of football as far as your kid enjoying sport and teaching them right from wrong is concerned.

My son is 11 and he's been at the same club since he was 6. The camaraderie, the friends he's made, the great coaches. Playing for Sheffield, South Yorkshire (and Yorkshire last season) it's great. It seems the further you get up the pyramid the less bad behaviour is allowed so that becomes less of an issue. He's made so many friends through cricket, as have we.

The politics are there just like in any sport of course. It's still a lot of who you know...... I could pontificate on that for hours as I'm not a known face in Yorkshire cricket so my lad even getting into the team once was purely on merit. This season he didn't even get a trial despite being the best bowler in S Yorks......

Of course that can get frustrating but as long as he's still enjoying it, I couldn't care less about the bullshit.

Wouldn't swap it for anything.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

A lot of the dinlows you describe are the 18-20 age group who whilst many have talent will engage mouth before brain, many grow up become good club cricketers!

The Huffer brothers at Patcham Priory in the late eighties early nineties were different to the ones I played against at Parham Park for example [emoji23]

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Despite all of the above. As a parent, cricket is still streets ahead of football as far as your kid enjoying sport and teaching them right from wrong is concerned.

My son is 11 and he's been at the same club since he was 6. The camaraderie, the friends he's made, the great coaches. Playing for Sheffield, South Yorkshire (and Yorkshire last season) it's great. It seems the further you get up the pyramid the less bad behaviour is allowed so that becomes less of an issue. He's made so many friends through cricket, as have we.

The politics are there just like in any sport of course. It's still a lot of who you know...... I could pontificate on that for hours as I'm not a known face in Yorkshire cricket so my lad even getting into the team once was purely on merit. This season he didn't even get a trial despite being the best bowler in S Yorks......

Of course that can get frustrating but as long as he's still enjoying it, I couldn't care less about the bullshit.

Wouldn't swap it for anything.

Was he born up there or down here? It still makes a difference. My son was just 8 weeks old when I moved to Yorkshire.
He preferred squash to team games.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
[MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION] - my lad plays for St Andrews and I've played several times myself, so if you want an intro more than happy to help - similarly have contacts at Burgess Hill too. The club are struggling for players this season - have had to concede a couple of 3rd XI games due to lack of players. Obviously season is almost over now (league ends at the end of August) - there will be winter nets (both clubs) that might be a good time to start though - everyone welcome and no commitment required to have a go.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here