Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An appeal to the club to change their Twitter handle

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patreon
Jan 19, 2010
Dale Winton (born Winton Dale due to a typographical error; 22 May 1955) is a British television personality best known for hosting game shows and other worthwhile things. In 2009 on a reality show, Winton gave Les Dennis Swine Flu.

He is also notable for co-founding the Society of People with Amusing Skin Issues (SPASI), along with Michael Jackson and Marilyn Manson. He is what is commonly known as an Oranoman - a man who is orange in colour.

Source: http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Dale_Winton

(and yes, I know it's a spoof)

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I like the @OfficialBHAFC. It sounds - official. Official means genuine to me. Maybe my interpretation is wrong.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Surely there's more to life than worrying about a Twitter handle?

Bongs performance, clapping away fans and lights on mobile phones come to mind.

Northstandchat at its best.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
In an attempt to dovetail the two themes of this thread, can we get the club's official twitter account to tweet him (@DaleJWinton) to try and find out his favourite colour?

I've got loads of work to avoid today, and the prospect of thinking about Dale Winton's favourite colour is far more enticing.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
As with domains, some smart charlie probably has [MENTION=5978]bhafc[/MENTION] and would sell it for a princely sum, @official also states what it is and not some kid in his bedroom trying to pretend to be "BHAFC".

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
As with domains, some smart charlie probably has [MENTION=5978]bhafc[/MENTION] and would sell it for a princely sum, @official also states what it is and not some kid in his bedroom trying to pretend to be "BHAFC".

The tick / verified status does that.

Club probably do have a legitimate case that the account breaks Twitter's rules if
a) they are that concerned - its not that much of an issue - /bhafc doesn't tweet much etc.
b) can argue that #bhafc belongs to them as a name - *which they could probably argue too - ie: cite other football clubs twitter account names.
https://support.twitter.com/articles/106373
I'd cite tweets like this as breaking twitter rules, using the official site URL in the bio etc.
https://twitter.com/BHAFC/status/771086582157893633

but Twitter are inconsistent in how they apply their rules and might not agree. Although they're keen to support and encourage football clubs as partners.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I find it odd that so many people don't seem to know that the blue tick means it's an official account anyway so it is weird that the unofficial one using the bhafc handle has so many followers.

That link you posted though clearly states that the handle that is being claimed must be inactive which it isn't.
the bhafc account does clearly state in the bio that the official club Twitter page is the Officialbhafc one though

View attachment 77891

The club account being verified is only a relatively recent thing.
[MENTION=5978]bhafc[/MENTION] joined Twitter in February 2009.
@OfficialBHAFC joined in July 2009.

They are both laggards, however. NSC joined Twitter in April 2008.

Over the years I have tried to communicate with the owner of [MENTION=5978]bhafc[/MENTION] several times to see if they'd give up the handle, either as a direct sale or for a charity donation, but they never responded.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
It's not even a correct use of the term "gerrymander", which means to manipulate the boundaries of an electoral constituency to favour one party over another.

:lol: I was racking my brains to try and work out what on earth he meant by using that term in the context of this particular debate.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
That link you posted though clearly states that the handle that is being claimed must be inactive which it isn't.
the bhafc account does clearly state in the bio that the official club Twitter page is the Officialbhafc one though

if the owner of the account doesn't want to give it up the club have 2 choices
- ignore it
- or make a claim about the account breaking twitter's terms of use for fan accounts. They have a legitimate case, i think, of arguing that it does indeed break the rules although twitter tend to apply these inconsistently.

if twitter agreed, they would suspend the (bhafc) account and the club could ask for the account name to be switched....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
:lol: I was racking my brains to try and work out what on earth he meant by using that term in the context of this particular debate.

I thought he was referring to the silky winger who scored twice against Liverpool in FA Cup matches in 1983 and 1984 for the Albion, but I may be wrong.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
- ignore it
- or make a claim about the account breaking twitter's terms of use for fan accounts. They have a legitimate case, i think, of arguing that it does indeed break the rules although twitter tend to apply these inconsistently.

if twitter agreed, they would suspend the (bhafc) account and the club could ask for the account name to be switched....

I suspect they're not bothered now.

1. They have officialbhafc on FB also. (bhafc not being used it seems)
2. They have officialbhafc on Instagram. (bhafc registered but inactive)

They have yet to dip their toe into Snapchat (something I've already given them a nudge on), but neither bhafc nor officialbhafc have yet to be registered.

I thought he was referring to the silky winger who scored twice against Liverpool in FA Cup matches in 1983 and 1984 for the Albion, but I may be wrong.

While we are on the subject of Liverpudlians ... Ringo Starr recorded a song called "Wrack My Brain". If he had meant "Rack My Brain", I'm sure he would have said so.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
- ignore it

Twitter can be surprisingly selective about this kind of thing. There's an account which used to be called The News By Des'ree, which offered comment on topical subjects in the style of Des'ree's song Life (most infamously trite lyrics: "I'm afraid to see a ghost, it's the sight that I dread most, rather have a piece of toast, watch the evening news").

It was quite clearly not the work of Des'ree, nor did it ever claim to be Des'ree, yet somebody- I imagine connected to Des'ree- complained and the account was threatened with being shut down.

All of which gave the account greater publicity and more followers, of course, resulting in further threats of legal action. It's still up and running (@thenewsbydes) but they've had to change the name and add various disclaimers.

[tweet]775949836331864064[/tweet]

[tweet]755410111829577728[/tweet]

[tweet]740431967779454976[/tweet]

Yet there are accounts which are quite clearly intended to deceive Twitter users which are allowed to proliferate. Go figure.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
@TheBig_Sam was once threatened with legal action by the sense of humour bypass that is the current England manager, and had to change a few details, even though it was clearly a parady.

Not sure what happened to @NotGusPoyet though.....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here