Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South Downs: England's Mountains Green

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
The Vicar did my head in. I had to remind myself that it wasn't Crocodile Dundee who presented the programme.

Why did he walk around with a giant stick?

I thought it was Gandalf, talking with his mouth full.

Nice scenery, without a doubt.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Mrs Gwylan and I are thinking of a few days walking the SDW this summer. Does anyone know any dog-friendly B&Bs/pubs in the wrong half of Sussex so we can take our four-legged family member? I was thinking somewhere in the Cocking/Midhurst area.

Searching for dog-friendly places on Google isn't as easy as I thought it would be

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Mrs Gwylan and I are thinking of a few days walking the SDW this summer. Does anyone know any dog-friendly B&Bs/pubs in the wrong half of Sussex so we can take our four-legged family member? I was thinking somewhere in the Cocking/Midhurst area.

Searching for dog-friendly places on Google isn't as easy as I thought it would be

Just look for B&B / Pubs and ring them up. Thats what I do and find most ok with dogs.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
Just watched this on iPlayer.

Fantastic programme, beautifully showcasing plenty I already knew about the downs, but plenty I didn't too. I feel a bit restless if I haven't had a wander up at Firle Beacon or around the Cuckmere Haven of a weekend, but this has inspired me to head further west too. Kingley Vale looks particularly good - thanks for the photos Stat Brother, I may well venture there this weekend (though expect it to be busy!)

Plenty more were they came from!!

I'd recommend holding off for a couple of weeks.
Unsurprisingly it was still somewhat wintery today, but the ground was full of inch high bluebells.
When they, along with everything else, are flowering KV takes on a whole new lease of life.

View attachment 82450

View attachment 82451

Hola SB, I didn't make it over to Kingley Vale for the bluebells in the end, but heading over on Saturday. Any chance you can recommend a decent (dog friendly) pub nearby for a bite to eat?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

5 Bells in West Chiltington; maybe off your route a tad but the Landlord/Landlady breed Airdales and dogs are always welcome in the pub (and they do 5 well kept real ales) so might be worth a slight diversion?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hola SB, I didn't make it over to Kingley Vale for the bluebells in the end, but heading over on Saturday. Any chance you can recommend a decent (dog friendly) pub nearby for a bite to eat?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Ah now this sets up a bit of a problem.

Firstly - It's not my manor for drinking, as I'm 20+ miles east, so all recommendations stem from cycling past not stopping.
Coffee and cake, not a problem :lol:

Secondly - The pubs I'd send you off to are North West of KV.

As I'm sure you now know the car park to KV is one road up from the busy B2146 (which has some pubs on it).
But we normally ride across the top of KV, taking us past here http://www.hareandhoundspub.co.uk/ and The Barley Mow pub in Walderton.
They look nice and seem the quintessential textbook quiet Sussex Downs pubs, but as said this isn't a recommendation, for all I know they're la de da gastro monstrosities.

Both of which you could walk to, but you might have to be creative and perhaps park at the pub, as the KV car park is some distance away from the wood, in the other direction.

Alternatively you could do me and a few others on here a favour and pop in here http://www.royaloakhooksway.co.uk/ as featured here:-
http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...b-for-food-near-Arundel-ish&highlight=Arundel

It certainly seems rustic and is most definitely 'rural'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey [MENTION=14054]MJsGhost[/MENTION] I found this walk to and through Kingley Vale from the 'other' side:-

https://www.ifootpath.com/display-ifootpath-walk?walkID=2283

Assuming you're coming from Lewes you can plot a cross county route to the start point taking you through Poynings, Steyning, Storrington, Amberley, Slindon, Eartham, Goodwood Racecourse, East Lavant, Hooksway then East Marsden.

That might seem like a bit of a ballache, but I guarantee it'll be considerably more picturesque, and I'd almost guarantee it'll be quicker than fighting through Worthing, Arundel and Chichester on the A27 on a busy sunny Saturday in the summer, which will be fine for the journey home.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
Hey [MENTION=14054]MJsGhost[/MENTION] I found this walk to and through Kingley Vale from the 'other' side:-

https://www.ifootpath.com/display-ifootpath-walk?walkID=2283

Assuming you're coming from Lewes you can plot a cross county route to the start point taking you through Poynings, Steyning, Storrington, Amberley, Slindon, Eartham, Goodwood Racecourse, East Lavant, Hooksway then East Marsden.

That might seem like a bit of a ballache, but I guarantee it'll be considerably more picturesque, and I'd almost guarantee it'll be quicker than fighting through Worthing, Arundel and Chichester on the A27 on a busy sunny Saturday in the summer, which will be fine for the journey home.

Thanks SB, I really appreciate you taking the time :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks SB, I really appreciate you taking the time :thumbsup:
It's just occurred to me, the faffy but constantly moving drive out to KV that I suggested, would double up as a good homage to the programme.
It'll take you past Devil's Dyke, Chanctonbury Ring, did he do something on the Arun? and Slindon/Eartham Woods (Stane St).
The route will have you hugging the Downs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The holiday thread has reminded me that we're pretty much at 'Bluebells in Kingley Vale' o'clock.

Well worth the journey over.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The holiday thread has reminded me that we're pretty much at 'Bluebells in Kingley Vale' o'clock.

Well worth the journey over.

Blimey. Far from it over here.....Mind you, the daffs have just flowered....some of them. Hmmm :bigwave:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey. Far from it over here.....Mind you, the daffs have just flowered....some of them. Hmmm :bigwave:

The daffs have been out for 2 or 3 weeks here, if not a bit longer.
There wasn't any sign of bluebells, in Rackham woods yesterday, as I cycled past, but I'll hazard a guess (looking at the weather forecast) they'll be out in force next week.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On a bike ride around the Dyke just then, I came across a magnificent Adder slowly crossing the road, as cars approached. I managed to cajole it back into long grass. (Virtue signalling), but I love doing little deeds like that, we share the planet.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
On a bike ride around the Dyke just then, I came across a magnificent Adder slowly crossing the road, as cars approached. I managed to cajole it back into long grass. (Virtue signalling), but I love doing little deeds like that, we share the planet.

There are supposed to be quite a lot of adders around the Dyke but I've never been lucky enough to see one. It's more than 50 years since I saw one in the wild, there aren't so many about these days.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There are supposed to be quite a lot of adders around the Dyke but I've never been lucky enough to see one. It's more than 50 years since I saw one in the wild, there aren't so many about these days.

I've only ever seen one before, at a client's in Ashdown Forest, a couple of years ago. It was October and he was slowly heading into a giant pile of leaves in a woodstore to hibernate.

I've only ever seen one before, at a client's in Ashdown Forest, a couple of years ago. It was October and he was slowly heading into a giant pile of leaves in a woodstore to hibernate.

Hope you got your client to settle his invoice before he went off to his giant pile of leaves. What did the adder do?

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset

I saw an albino badger in Ashdown Forest when I was a kid , until last week the only badger Id ever seen. Then one walked up my drive !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here