Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
3.55 for me, happy with that given the heat although was hoping for more like 3.45. Had a few spells of nausea (combination of heat and drinking a tad too much water I think) but no harm done. Fantastic support all the way round the course, special thanks to [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] and @Sim Gull for their encouragement!

Saw [MENTION=12697]Steve Foster[/MENTION] carrying his flag a couple of times too. Hope the pacing went well.......mine is rubbish at the best of times so not something I will be volunteering for......

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
I bailed at 12 miles. Fooked. No one reason in particular just fatigue after last week. A harsh lesson learnt. Still great to be involved though and enjoyed being part of it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I bailed at 12 miles. Fooked. No one reason in particular just fatigue after last week. A harsh lesson learnt. Still great to be involved though and enjoyed being part of it.

Wise move. You had Rome in your system. Must have bailed near the West Pier where you sprinted past me last year?
A DNF beats a DNS. Congratulations!
Sub 20 5k next?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Welll done everyone who took part today - it looked really tough out there. Lots of DNFs and lots of slowing up for the last 5-10k.
Big shout for [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] who was absolutely flying!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Evening all, I am very disappointed today, I broke my Half Marathon record which was part of my plan but then I died a death at mile 20. I had to take a quick pee break during mile 18 but other than that all my splits are consistent, but then my shin died and my calf started dying as well. I had to walk a few times, and really needed the showers in Shoreham! I'm frustrated because I felt like I'd make a 3:15 relatively comfortably and then LITERALLY on mile 20, the guy came past me and I had nothing left. I had to re-focus and calm myself down, and then crack back on. Seeing Fatboy Slim at mile 23 was important, that helped me keep going.

I ran a 3:29:12 which is a PB by 8 minutes so I should be happy and overall I am, but even so, I felt I ran a bad race. And my phone didn't track the run properly either! Happily I had my watch as a backup.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Wise move. You had Rome in your system. Must have bailed near the West Pier where you sprinted past me last year?
A DNF beats a DNS. Congratulations!
Sub 20 5k next?

I was running past the village and decided it was a good point to duck out. Thought a week off would recharge enough but not to be. Hope your DNS days are coming to an end.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Sounds exactly the same as me Ninja, blew up at mile 20 rescued only be dropping my pace and the water spray and a breeze on the way back from Shoreham power station.

Consoled myself by the thought that a lot of much better runners than me dropped out today but managed to push through it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Evening all, I am very disappointed today, I broke my Half Marathon record which was part of my plan but then I died a death at mile 20. I had to take a quick pee break during mile 18 but other than that all my splits are consistent, but then my shin died and my calf started dying as well. I had to walk a few times, and really needed the showers in Shoreham! I'm frustrated because I felt like I'd make a 3:15 relatively comfortably and then LITERALLY on mile 20, the guy came past me and I had nothing left. I had to re-focus and calm myself down, and then crack back on. Seeing Fatboy Slim at mile 23 was important, that helped me keep going.

I ran a 3:29:12 which is a PB by 8 minutes so I should be happy and overall I am, but even so, I felt I ran a bad race. And my phone didn't track the run properly either! Happily I had my watch as a backup.

That sounds brilliant. Up, down, up, down, up, down and a big up. Sub 3:30! Next year even better!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

It's an 8 minute pb. Enjoy it. Miles 18 to 26 are a lottery at the best of times. You have a 3:15 in you easy. Let's all focus on 2018!

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Me and my lad got round in 3:51 both in our Albion tops
Loads of encouragement from the crowd and The Albion fans along the way
Shook CH's hand at the start and thanked him for what he has done for us, saw Muzza at about mile 17ish by the church and got a cheer from Norman Cook at 23 miles and finished arm on arm with my lad at the end which was a bit emotional to be honest for me
No more for me now and announcing my retirement at the age of 59
Just a few halfs now and again
Heat was a bitch

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Me and my lad got round in 3:51 both in our Albion tops
Loads of encouragement from the crowd and The Albion fans along the way
Shook CH's hand at the start and thanked him for what he has done for us, saw Muzza at about mile 17ish by the church and got a cheer from Norman Cook at 23 miles and finished arm on arm with my lad at the end which was a bit emotional to be honest for me
No more for me now and announcing my retirement at the age of 59
Just a few halfs now and again
Heat was a bitch

Brilliant !

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Superb time regardless, well done....!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Thanks all, I've been following the thread - I appreciate the kind words about the upturn in my times, this year has been a surprise and I'm looking to re-define my goals for the rest of the year now. I'm consciously trying to spend less time online, but I'll keep an eye out for people at the parkruns and other events dotted around.

[MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] - We entering a team or two into the relay at Black Rock again this year?

[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] piled into a 39:45 I see, big congratulations to him and good to see you on the way around chap. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Thanks all, I've been following the thread - I appreciate the kind words about the upturn in my times, this year has been a surprise and I'm looking to re-define my goals for the rest of the year now. I'm consciously trying to spend less time online, but I'll keep an eye out for people at the parkruns and other events dotted around.

[MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] - We entering a team or two into the relay at Black Rock again this year?

[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] piled into a 39:45 I see, big congratulations to him and good to see you on the way around chap. :thumbsup:

Cheers. You've nothing to be disappointed with an 8 minute PB should be celebrated and savoured. Your running is improving rapidly and I don't think I could manage a 19 minute Park Run at Hove as it stands so you have the edge on me currently.

I'm delighted with my time, a sub 40 10K has been a big itch for some time and now I've done it! Especially pleasing as I've not set a PB since last years marathon and I've spent most of the last 12 months on the treatment table and foam roller so well chuffed!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

NSC runners should get 2 or 3 teams up this year at the weakest link relay. I'll put myself forward as team organiser. We want all NSC runners ready to join 2x2.5k run relay near the end of June.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
NSC runners should get 2 or 3 teams up this year at the weakest link relay. I'll put myself forward as team organiser. We want all NSC runners ready to join 2x2.5k run relay near the end of June.

Sounds good what's the date? Missed out last year but keen to get involved this time round.

We've an embarrassment of riches and a squad the envy of boards up and down the country!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sounds good what's the date? Missed out last year but keen to get involved this time round.

We've an embarrassment of riches and a squad the envy of boards up and down the country!

Championes, Championes....I'll have to be Chris Hughton, which may be a problem for a knocky1, but as a DNS I'll be happy to get a number of teams together on the day.
You spotted it last year. Great event.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] piled into a 39:45 I see, big congratulations to him and good to see you on the way around chap. [emoji106]
I totally get where you're coming from, but you should be delighted - and I'm sure you will be in time.

Didn't think there would be too many PBs today, so a massive well done. Sand congrats to all the other runners.

I'm signed up for 2018. Might even follow a training plan and do it properly...

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Championes, Championes....I'll have to be Chris Hughton, which may be a problem for a knocky1, but as a DNS I'll be happy to get a number of teams together on the day.
You spotted it last year. Great event.

Wednesday 21st June 7pm. £8 per team (bargain)

A perfect gap filler between the Worthing 10k and The Phoenix 10k

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here