Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] American Albion fan... WTF.... Has he done.....

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
To be fair, this is part of life over here at the moment.

There are various pockets of American born Albion fans appearing here over the last year or so. My boys play footy (aged 9 & 11) and they wear their Albion shirts to most practices and out socially. The amount of coaches, other players and parents that not only recognize the stripes, but invariably comment on the BHA game from the weekend, commenting how solid we look and how relegation should be avoidable and so on, was initially surprising at first but is now a cool thing.

In order to keep spreading the word, I coach my youngest boy teams and for this years indoor 5 aside season, this is our new logo which will printed on blue shirts.

View attachment 103068

Nice work.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Exactly. I can understand people not liking the badge (I really don't understand the boots) but it seems strange to take issue with someone wanting to support The Albion.

I really don’t like the badge thing your right, I also don’t get following two clubs to the extent you incorporate your first love with your new fling.... I just don’t get it, can you have a link with a Spanish team, Italian team as well as New York and Brighton, if you want, and why, maybe I’m missing something (I usually do) but say I wanted to start supporting Atlanta because they just got promoted to the MLS and formed a SEAGULL UNITED link kinda thing, people would think I’m crazy....

Is this new found interest in the Albion just because we are in the Premier League, would it fade if we got relegated ?
I’m sure the marketing men at the club would love to promote any links.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I really don’t like the badge thing your right, I also don’t get following two clubs to the extent you incorporate your first love with your new fling.... I just don’t get it, can you have a link with a Spanish team, Italian team as well as New York and Brighton, if you want, and why, maybe I’m missing something (I usually do) but say I wanted to start supporting Atlanta because they just got promoted to the MLS and formed a SEAGULL UNITED link kinda thing, people would think I’m crazy....

Is this new found interest in the Albion just because we are in the Premier League, would it fade if we got relegated ?
I’m sure the marketing men at the club would love to promote any links.

Your analogy with Atlanta doesn't really work. The MLS is small fry on the world stage. England has one of the top leagues in the World, and people from countries with lesser leagues like to pick a PL team to follow. Good on him for not picking Man Utd or Liverpool like most other people do. I really don't see the issue.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The badge is a monstrosity and you can't shorten seagulls without cutting them in half.

It's a no from me. He needs OUR HELP to redesign the badge.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Your analogy with Atlanta doesn't really work. The MLS is small fry on the world stage. England has one of the top leagues in the World, and people from countries with lesser leagues like to pick a PL team to follow. Good on him for not picking Man Utd or Liverpool like most other people do. I really don't see the issue.

You’re right, there is no issue, good on them

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
According to the Tweet, this lady created the banner and is a co-founder of #NYCGulls

(We'll have a word with them about the "Gulls" thing later.)

DuMPmjxXcAEBnqR.jpg

Was he a season ticket holder at Priestfield? Fecking JCL's without which only 1500 would have seen us lose to Champions League Winners by 1 goal in a league game. All these bloody new fans building a fan base in the US...wtf. Wagon Wheel and Bovril for me

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

I clearly have a problem then, because I still don’t get it.
I understand ex pats, or 2nd generations relatives etc supporting Brighton, but randomly picking us to support seems contrived and almost a hipster kind of thing to do. I’m thinking too much into it or not enough, either way my brain can’t and does not want to compute.

Sometimes I wish we were still shite, it pisses me off when people who I know and work with never supported and even mocked our plight, now have season tickets, and claim to have been there in the dark days, loyal supporters.....

Yeah righto, this smacks of the same bullshit, it’s been a long day.

I apologise.

Still ain’t right.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
He's from New York. He supports a New York side. He also supports the Albion.

Barring a US tour or both the Albion and NYC's simultaneous involvement and subsequent pairing in the FIFA Club World Cup through winning our respective Champions Leagues in the same season, it's highly unlikely for him to ever have to choose between us at any time.

And his age and location probably meant that he wasn't able to serve his Albion fan apprenticeship at the Goldstone, Withdean or Gillingham.

It's really not a big deal.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
We'll, i think it's all lovely, and have no problem at all with sharing the joy and frustration with our overseas buddies. It also reminds me just how very, very lucky I am to have it all practically on my doorstep. But best of all, this guy (i am led to believe) ditched the brilliant, slick, champions of Europe elect, because (let's face it) following a club that wins week in week out satisfies just one human emotion and must be as boring as f.u.c.k.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I clearly have a problem then, because I still don’t get it.
I understand ex pats, or 2nd generations relatives etc supporting Brighton, but randomly picking us to support seems contrived and almost a hipster kind of thing to do. I’m thinking too much into it or not enough, either way my brain can’t and does not want to compute.

Sometimes I wish we were still shite, it pisses me off when people who I know and work with never supported and even mocked our plight, now have season tickets, and claim to have been there in the dark days, loyal supporters.....

Yeah righto, this smacks of the same bullshit, it’s been a long day.

I apologise.

Still ain’t right.

We've had people from all over the place come and watch Brighton games with us. A woman from Nigeria comes along regularly and she has no strong reason to support Brighton. Her American friend came along a few weeks ago, when she was visiting. Both of them have Albion shirts and a pretty extensive knowledge of the team. I think it's fantastic we can attract these kinds of fans.

I don't go along with this "if you don't have a ticket stub from Gillingham, you're not a true fan" bullshit. It's usually the same people who mock other teams for not filling their stadium. You can't win :shrug:

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
Once upon a time I was worried our fan base was shrinking...
As an expat, I’ve run into him whilst taking in an Albion game in NYC. If people want to enthusiastically take an interest in our club, then so be it. Good for him. Thousands of Americans turn out in the bars every Saturday morning to cheer on the likes of man city, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, so it’s refreshing to have people take an interest in little old Brighton. Let it be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I don't go along with this "if you don't have a ticket stub from Gillingham, you're not a true fan" bullshit.

I don't think you'll find anyone arguing that living in Gillingham means you must support Brighton...

That said, support is support. They've bought shirts, they buy 'Merch', and it all benefits the club in the end. Just don't pick up a guitar and spout twaddle on the internet, please.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just read out the OP post and Mrs T though I said 'handy vagina'.

Easy mistake to make. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
it kind of works as NYCGulls but then ... don't put gulls on the bottom. We are not Torquay.

But we are preciousas****.

No criticism. I'm with you.

Gulls, my arse. Not my

133262843_17493c7531_z.jpg

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And why the hell is the seagull wearing Timberlands? Surely if it's from New York it should have a Pizza in its beak and a burger on each wing.

Since reading your post, I've returned to the photo to study Gully's feet about 300 times. "How does he know they are Timberlands?" I kept thinking.

It's only now I've realised you are talking about the flag.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Since reading your post, I've returned to the photo to study Gully's feet about 300 times. "How does he know they are Timberlands?" I kept thinking.

It's only now I've realised you are talking about the flag.
Oh yeah! Got me too. [emoji1787]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here