Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Fantasy Cycling.

For those up for it again - I've just set up a mini league for the Tour Down Under on Velogames (I think we have to set up a new mini league for each race we do?, hence why I've taken my turn to set one up this time around).

Teams need to be in by Tuesday midday.

NSC Geeks league code is: 16110240

Velogames TDU page: http://www.velogames.com/tour-down-under/2016/entryform.php

Usual nice and simple rules. No transfers, just pick a team for the whole tour and let it run :thumbsup:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'm in.

It's great to be out again, even if the harris and legs aren't running at the same pace my head is. I was gonna go a bit longer but decided I should point homeward. Good call; within 15 mins the temperature dropped. Can't have '8.x' or *shudder* a '9.x' on my records so eeked it out with f all in the tank. I then see we are leading. A bang tidy day even though I'm riding at weird times. It will be better once the Bowie related clouds clear though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The east to west section of our ride today has 3 routes home, short medium and long.

'Fancy Coombes after work' is code for the short route.
While riding Phil said 'it'll be a nice tailwind home', to which I replied 'if we go that way'.

10 minutes later we're approaching the short turn, I'm in front "well"?, Phil replies:-
"I don't mind, you call it, no go straight on" :lol:

At the second turn he says 'We're here now so we might as well crack on'.

So a 25 mile route becomes a 45 mile route, on a lovely but chilly afternoon.

I can't believe, this week, I've gone over 150 miles in the middle of January without using my lights, got wet or frozen solid.

The weather payback is going to be brutal.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I'm in.

It's great to be out again, even if the harris and legs aren't running at the same pace my head is. I was gonna go a bit longer but decided I should point homeward. Good call; within 15 mins the temperature dropped. Can't have '8.x' or *shudder* a '9.x' on my records so eeked it out with f all in the tank. I then see we are leading. A bang tidy day even though I'm riding at weird times. It will be better once the Bowie related clouds clear though.
I didn't understand a word of that! (apart form the bowie bit)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Fantasy Cycling.

For those up for it again - I've just set up a mini league for the Tour Down Under on Velogames (I think we have to set up a new mini league for each race we do?, hence why I've taken my turn to set one up this time around).

Teams need to be in by Tuesday midday.

NSC Geeks league code is: 16110240

Velogames TDU page: http://www.velogames.com/tour-down-under/2016/entryform.php

Usual nice and simple rules. No transfers, just pick a team for the whole tour and let it run :thumbsup:

Edit and apologies on deadline time for getting your team in.

It's tonight at midnight, not Tuesday midday as I previously stated.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A top effort from the Strava Geeks this week, chaps:-

4 x 100+ miles
3 x 80+ miles
6 x 40+ miles.
7 others riding.

All of that in the middle week of January :bowdown:

kip

Aug 2, 2011
Don't post in this thread much as you guys only ever go on about road bikes, which isn't really my thing, but even I have been hitting the tarmac in recent weeks just to keep up my fitness. The local trails are now virtually unrideable, I tried Stanmer woods yesterday and I spent half the time with my foot down, I fell off twice and my back wheel went round about 4 times more than the distance I actually covered. It's just not fun any more, the mud is driving me mad, I don't mind a bit of it now and again but week after week is so soul destroying. It's got to the point where I'm not enjoying anymore, I just want some nice dusty woodland to fly through. Riding on the road is ok but for me it's just not the same, maybe it's because my bike is big and bouncy and about as streamline as a campervan, I don't know. It's so disheartening when you are giving it all you've got and 3 roadies fly past you effortlessly like you are standing still. I love my bike but I've spent the last year setting it up for trail riding but it feels like I'm driving a tractor when it's on the road.
Anyway, i've got that off my chest :tantrum:
Please please please stop raining!!!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Don't post in this thread much as you guys only ever go on about road bikes, which isn't really my thing, but even I have been hitting the tarmac in recent weeks just to keep up my fitness. The local trails are now virtually unrideable, I tried Stanmer woods yesterday and I spent half the time with my foot down, I fell off twice and my back wheel went round about 4 times more than the distance I actually covered. It's just not fun any more, the mud is driving me mad, I don't mind a bit of it now and again but week after week is so soul destroying. It's got to the point where I'm not enjoying anymore, I just want some nice dusty woodland to fly through. Riding on the road is ok but for me it's just not the same, maybe it's because my bike is big and bouncy and about as streamline as a campervan, I don't know. It's so disheartening when you are giving it all you've got and 3 roadies fly past you effortlessly like you are standing still. I love my bike but I've spent the last year setting it up for trail riding but it feels like I'm driving a tractor when it's on the road.
Anyway, i've got that off my chest :tantrum:
Please please please stop raining!!!

It's been really shitty, hasn't it? It may not slow us roadies down quite so much, but it is a bit of a morale hoover.

I took to the trails a few times last summer. Loved it - it's where I started with bikes. But for me, it is most definitely a summer sport!

kip

Aug 2, 2011
It's been really shitty, hasn't it? It may not slow us roadies down quite so much, but it is a bit of a morale hoover.

I took to the trails a few times last summer. Loved it - it's where I started with bikes. But for me, it is most definitely a summer sport!

Problem is, it's not just slowing me down (I sort of expect that in the winter), it's completely stopping me. We went to Friston forest a while back and it was just a waisted journey, we were actually pedalling hard going downhill.
I've got a nice hardtail in the shed which has been in bits for a while, I'm actually thinking of putting some road tyres on it :ohmy: The only problem I have with riding on the road is that you have to share it with so many idiots that seem to want to kill you. At least if I kill myself doing a gap jump, it's my own stupid fault and not some stressed out mum who's late picking up her kids from school..

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Problem is, it's not just slowing me down (I sort of expect that in the winter), it's completely stopping me. We went to Friston forest a while back and it was just a waisted journey, we were actually pedalling hard going downhill.
I've got a nice hardtail in the shed which has been in bits for a while, I'm actually thinking of putting some road tyres on it :ohmy: The only problem I have with riding on the road is that you have to share it with so many idiots that seem to want to kill you. At least if I kill myself doing a gap jump, it's my own stupid fault and not some stressed out mum who's late picking up her kids from school..

You do get a lot of idiots.

The thing is, when you get out into the countryside you can cycle in glorious isolation for miles. You discover parts of Sussex that you never knew existed, and cycle on roads that look like they have barely been used.

Unlike some of the more puritanical geeks on here (yes, I'm looking at you [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION]), I love the variety of cycling that you get by being a roadie AND a mountain biker. My advice would be to get yourself a road bike and mix it up a bit!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Feet got cold today, despite thick socks and toe covers. We stopped at Washington Village Hall for Brighton Excelsior's Pop Up Cafe, and having put my socks and shoes on a radiator for 30mins, I took some advice and after putting my socks back on I wrapped my feet in tin foil prior to putting my shoes back on. BIG difference on the way back - much warmer feet. Ideally, thin pair of socks, tin foil, then another pair of socks, but it is a great tip on a cold one!

p.s. [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] - hardly been able to get out on my mtb, still looking brand new in the shed! :nono:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Feet got cold today, despite thick socks and toe covers. We stopped at Washington Village Hall for Brighton Excelsior's Pop Up Cafe, and having put my socks and shoes on a radiator for 30mins, I took some advice and after putting my socks back on I wrapped my feet in tin foil prior to putting my shoes back on. BIG difference on the way back - much warmer feet. Ideally, thin pair of socks, tin foil, then another pair of socks, but it is a great tip on a cold one!

p.s. [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] - hardly been able to get out on my mtb, still looking brand new in the shed! :nono:

Yes, a good tip.

I had an even better idea today. I sat on the sofa and watched the telly.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Let's save the MTB for the summer. You don't want to get it dirty.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The main difference you'll find between the 2 different exercises [MENTION=20621]kip[/MENTION], is roadies don't factor in time to point towards the middle distance.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes, a good tip.

I had an even better idea today. I sat on the sofa and watched the telly.

Yes, but with you're commute you are blessed with miles in the legs during the week to take a sensible view on it. I didn't get out all week, and was just itching so much it took away all common sense.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I had pooh bags on my feet, yesterday.
It didn't seem to make a great deal of difference.

I'll try a pooh bag double sock combo on Tuesday but not holding out much hope.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I had pooh bags on my feet, yesterday.
It didn't seem to make a great deal of difference.

I'll try a pooh bag double sock combo on Tuesday but not holding out much hope.

Haven't you bought those winter shoe monstrosities yet? I reckon having cold toes is a price worth paying to avoid being seen out in them. :)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Yes, but with you're commute you are blessed with miles in the legs during the week to take a sensible view on it. I didn't get out all week, and was just itching so much it took away all common sense.

End of the working day, Bold, just get your bike out and ride. The stresses of life melt away.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Haven't you bought those winter shoe monstrosities yet? I reckon having cold toes is a price worth paying to avoid being seen out in them. :)
If I could find a decent pair less than 3 figures I'd happily buy them and middle finger the cycling world.
My feet get so cold I couldn't guarantee not wearing on an early morning ride in July.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here