Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
http://www.southernrailway.com/sout...etable/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

[h=1]SOUTHERN RESTORES OVER 100 TRAINS TO TIMETABLE[/h]Date: 30 Aug 2016

• Over 9 out of 10 trains now set to run
  • Near-100% service returned to London Bridge in peaks
Customers of Southern Railway today received some much-needed good news with the announcement that the train operator will reinstate 119 train services back into its timetable next Monday (5th September).

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
so the government are waiting for a strike by Aslef members? If anyone can see into the future, I'd like to know how this ends please?

I'm not the expert but if you read this thread you will see how, by funding Govia so they aren't reliant on ticket revenue (unlike all the other rail companies), the government allow them to take on the unions without financial loss. Thus paving the way for breaking the union/introducing changes the other rail companies can implement.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I got stuck for 2.5hours on Virgin East Coast today due to overhead power cable problems.

Fair play they provided free bottled water, after some time opened the cafe bit and gave out sandwiches / crisps to people with kids. When we arrived at Kings Cross we all got given a little flyer with delay repay information and how to do it.

They also ran most trains to their destination. Not dumping us in Newark or somewhere.

Refreshing to see problems dealt with well rather than our white flag waving surrender monkeys

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I'm not the expert but if you read this thread you will see how, by funding Govia so they aren't reliant on ticket revenue (unlike all the other rail companies), the government allow them to take on the unions without financial loss. Thus paving the way for breaking the union/introducing changes the other rail companies can implement.

Sadly true. Decent article here: http://www.cityam.com/248387/southern-rail-row-isnt-just-battle-between-operator-and/amp

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Breaking the union... or just trying to remove redundancy on our trains? Let's face it these strikes are primarily about job losses.

It appears the "sickness" has cleared itself up on southern's London routes,funny that...
Also,can anyone ITK tell Me how long an emergency timetable can stay in for?surely it's obvious to even the most spiteful Tory that the truth behind this whole debacle is the FACT that Southern are severely understaffed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

synavm

May 2, 2013
You will have a long wait if you think this is down to the unions

http://www.cityam.com/248387/southern-rail-row-isnt-just-battle-between-operator-and

I certainly feel most of the fault here lies with Govia on balance, but I do not believe these strikes are going to solve anything. They aren't weakening the position of Southern or the Government, it's merely punishing customers and costing jobs in some cases. If the unions can't empathise with that fact, then if I'm honest my sympathy over this whole debacle wares rather thin.

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
I was on a train back from London last night and the driver kept making announcements for the guard to check about the smoke alarm in the toilet and the guard to check about someone pulling emergency alarm.

Now, it's possible that this happened, but I wonder if they're actually just going to be making a lot more announcements like this to make it clear that if the guard wasn't there, the driver would have to stop the train to go and check.

albionite

May 20, 2009
It appears the "sickness" has cleared itself up on southern's London routes,funny that...
Also,can anyone ITK tell Me how long an emergency timetable can stay in for?surely it's obvious to even the most spiteful Tory that the truth behind this whole debacle is the FACT that Southern are severely understaffed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sickness has cleared up a little bit as the drivers summer leave period is over. So now more trains can run.

Funny that

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
There NEVER has been any extra sickness,just propaganda from Southern,they've added 100 extra trains to the timetable for London because TFL Were sniffing round.

So how will Southern find crew for these 100 extra trains? Southern's info page reads like Nineteen Eighty-Four, all I can see happening is blaming staff sickness, strike action and disputes when they're forced to cancel trains again ..... I overheard a guard tell a colleague that 'they want to break Aslef, then the RMT will be broken by default'

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
RAIL UNION RMT confirmed today that it has suspended strike action involving station staff on Govia Thameslink scheduled for next Wednesday after significant progress was made in talks held at ACAS yesterday. Strike action in the separate dispute on the Southern part of the franchise over safety and the future role of guards goes ahead as planned next Wednesday and Thursday as the company continue to refuse to engage in genuine talks without preconditions.

The core elements of the agreement in the ticket offices and station staffing dispute are as follows:

• The new arrangements will be trialled at eight locations with the pilots closely monitored by the unions
• Ticket offices will remain open and staffed during the trial period
• There will be no extension beyond the trial period without union agreement through a Joint Working Party
• The trials will prevent a situation arising where lone workers are left carrying cash
• There is an absolute guarantee that no jobs will be lost and there will be no changes to terms and conditions. Staff volunteering for the trials will be paid an additional £1000.

RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said;

“It is a testament to the solidarity and determination of our station staff members on Govia Thameslink that we have been able to achieve significant progress in the talks at ACAS that have enabled us to suspend next week’s action. The leverage from the vote for strike action has been pivotal in securing the package of measures that will protect jobs, safety and the services we deliver to the travelling public.

“The separate dispute on the Southern section of GTR over guards and safety remains unresolved and the strike action involving our members next week goes ahead as planned. The union will be focussing all of its efforts on supporting this safety-critical group of members as they continue to fight for safe, secure and accessible services for all.”

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
RAIL UNION RMT confirmed today that it has suspended strike action involving station staff on Govia Thameslink scheduled for next Wednesday after significant progress was made in talks held at ACAS yesterday. Strike action in the separate dispute on the Southern part of the franchise over safety and the future role of guards goes ahead as planned next Wednesday and Thursday as the company continue to refuse to engage in genuine talks without preconditions.

The core elements of the agreement in the ticket offices and station staffing dispute are as follows:

• The new arrangements will be trialled at eight locations with the pilots closely monitored by the unions
• Ticket offices will remain open and staffed during the trial period
• There will be no extension beyond the trial period without union agreement through a Joint Working Party
• The trials will prevent a situation arising where lone workers are left carrying cash
• There is an absolute guarantee that no jobs will be lost and there will be no changes to terms and conditions. Staff volunteering for the trials will be paid an additional £1000.

RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said;

“It is a testament to the solidarity and determination of our station staff members on Govia Thameslink that we have been able to achieve significant progress in the talks at ACAS that have enabled us to suspend next week’s action. The leverage from the vote for strike action has been pivotal in securing the package of measures that will protect jobs, safety and the services we deliver to the travelling public.

“The separate dispute on the Southern section of GTR over guards and safety remains unresolved and the strike action involving our members next week goes ahead as planned. The union will be focussing all of its efforts on supporting this safety-critical group of members as they continue to fight for safe, secure and accessible services for all.”

That's actually really encouraging. How a negotiation's supposed to work.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Indeed. Always helps if one side doesn't start the negotiations by saying - this is what we are going to do and it doesn't matter what you say.

Also just seems like a really sensible way of moving forwards with the scheme. Thameslink should have been trialling it anyway, so both sides get a win.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not quite sure this is the right thread for a question like this, but . . .

I'll be attending a wedding in Dorset the night before the Brentford game, and will need to travel to Falmer from Southampton on the day of the match. I'm aiming to catch the 10.32 West Coastway service, but in the present climate I'm afraid that it might get cancelled.

Am I right in thinking that the present emergency timetable only relates to Mon - Fri services?, and that Sat - Sun trains are as per the original full timetable?, (the Southern website isn't too clear)..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here