Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Watched the stream yesterday, at 2-1 down he seemed to make a series of very good saves (3 or 4?). Not sure he could have done anything about all three having watched the replays, and was only really at fault for a poor throw for one of them (that doesn't make the goal entirely his fault). He gets undeserved criticism in my view, or at least not credit when he does anything good (always a keepers lot, unfortunately). Walton was solid when he played but I don't recall any great saves and his distribution was not better than Stockdale at best.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Watched the stream yesterday, at 2-1 down he seemed to make a series of very good saves (3 or 4?). Not sure he could have done anything about all three having watched the replays, and was only really at fault for a poor throw for one of them (that doesn't make the goal entirely his fault). He gets undeserved criticism in my view, or at least not credit when he does anything good (always a keepers lot, unfortunately). Walton was solid when he played but I don't recall any great saves and his distribution was not better than Stockdale at best.
This with jingle bells on. If Walton had played yesterday people would be saying there was nothing that could be done about all 3 goals and that he made 4 top class saves to keep us in it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That is the faults I can see and so can most people, but as I have said he is being compared to probably our best ever keeper so very difficult for him. Read my note 2 in my previous post

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Who was at fault for the second and third then, if we're going back to players giving the ball away?

From the stream, I would say Ince didn't cover himself in glory for the second. We were playing out from the back and he passed it straight to the nearest Norwich player, which lead to the corner.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Maybe Walton deserved to keep his place but Stockdale made some very good saves yesterday. Maybe his throw for the 1st was not great. He had no hope on the 2nd and the 3rd was hit so early don t think he had much chance. Made some very good saves at 2-1 down and kept us in the game. Walton has played well but he is still 19. Like to see him play in the cup. He will be our number 1 by 21 and if we can keep hold of him (big if) we could have a top class goalkeeper for 10-15 years.

Hard to disagree with any of this...

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
He stopped shots well yesterday but his distribution got us into so much trouble, again and again. That part of his game really needs work but still, for me, MOM.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
From the stream, I would say Ince didn't cover himself in glory for the second. We were playing out from the back and he passed it straight to the nearest Norwich player, which lead to the corner.

I said exactly the same thing at the time. Ince also jumped out of the wall at Watford, leading to a goal, but I don't see him getting slated on Nsc the way that Stockdale & JFC do.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If you wait for you chance. Then take your chance and play well, you deserve to keep your place in the team. Otherwise what message does that send out to the rest of the squad? Basic simple man management. Walton should have kept his place until his form deemed otherwise and that's no reflection on Stockdale, it just simple basic management...One of the main reasons we are where we are is because Hyypia tinkers with the team to much and he hasn't got a clue what his best starting line up is.

When you talk about Hyypia tinkering with the team too much, and not having any idea as to his best starting eleven, you are probably spot on.

However, when it comes to Walton keeping his place, it isn't nearly as simple as you make out. He is still only 19, and as great a prospect as he is, is still only learning his trade and far from the finished article. What happens when he makes his first mistake?, because he will make one, all goalkeepers do, and how will he react to it?, and to all the abuse he will recieive when it happens? In my opinion his games for the remainder of this season, and maybe even next, should be cherry picked for him. Let the boy become a man before we throw him into the deep end.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you wait for you chance. Then take your chance and play well, you deserve to keep your place in the team. Otherwise what message does that send out to the rest of the squad? Basic simple man management. Walton should have kept his place until his form deemed otherwise and that's no reflection on Stockdale, it just simple basic management...

So your saying:-

'wait till we've smashed the confidence out of the kid, then swap him over'.

Brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here