Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motty to commentate on us this week as part of his grand tour

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The miserables are out early on this thread. :wanker:

I love John Motson and his commentaries, brilliantly eccentric but always with a better idea of what's going on than most.

Some say he never recovered from his interview with Brian Clough in the 70/80s. Masterful interviewing of a masterfully mischievous manager.

One of the best, why all the nasty comments is beyond me..

Seagullroyal

Dec 31, 2014
As others have said, I can't understand all the negative comments, as Motty has been great over the years.
I actually look forward to those stats that he reels out, even if they are cringeworthy!!
I think a lot of them are tongue in cheek, anyway!
In general, he has been the voice behind some of the greatest football moments over the years, including the England games (not too many great moments there, though!)
Read elsewhere that at the game on Saturday in the 50th minute we should sing "There's only one John Motson"
What do you think?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
As others have said, I can't understand all the negative comments, as Motty has been great over the years.
I actually look forward to those stats that he reels out, even if they are cringeworthy!!
I think a lot of them are tongue in cheek, anyway!
In general, he has been the voice behind some of the greatest football moments over the years, including the England games (not too many great moments there, though!)
Read elsewhere that at the game on Saturday in the 50th minute we should sing "There's only one John Motson"
What do you think?

Let's go the full distance and have a minutes applause.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
I think that depends how old you are.

If you're thirty plus, then yes you'll probably remember him being quite good, and will laugh off what he's like now.

My kids (16 and 19) think he's an absolute joke. Which is entirely understandable as they've only ever known him as a confused-sounding old man.

I think it's a question of relevance. Supporters are so much more informed in the online age. Twenty years ago it was different. People like Motson were a source of knowledge. Not so now.

Still think of the radio commentators of yesteryear as being in a higher league. I'd love to hear Peter Jones and Bryon Butler commentating on an Albion game. Not sure if either of them are with us now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Upon reflection, I'm surprised this hasn't been suggested before.

(Sets a reminder to ensure it's discussed next Easter)
MY I suggest we don't sing "there's only one Jesus Christ" and instead have a minute's applause. I think it's a bit more inclusive because although Jesus "Christy" Christ is a legend to Albion Christians, he is "only" a prophet to Albion Muslims everywhere. An applause would let all Albion religious crackpots celebrate in their own way.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
May 8, 2007
Toronto
That would be awesome. In the 12th minute because he had 12 disciples.

Or a minute of:

There's only 3 Jesus Christs
3 Jesus Chriiiisssstsss
There's only 3 Jesus Chriiissts
3 Jesus Christs

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Soooper super Jeez,
Soooper super Jeez
Soooper super Jeez

Super Jeezy H Christ

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
May 8, 2007
Toronto
He died for our sins
He died for our siiiiins
Jesus H Christ
He died for our sins

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
What do you think?

giphy.gif

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
Listening to his commentary these last few years I'm pretty sure he only provides commentary on the highlights, rather than on the live match. It's possible he won't even be at the Amex this Saturday.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Listening to his commentary these last few years I'm pretty sure he only provides commentary on the highlights, rather than on the live match. It's possible he won't even be at the Amex this Saturday.

So, errrrm, bring the Jesus stuff forward a few months?

theboybilly

Brian Moore is the only other commentator that comes close to Motty's fantastic commentary in the eighties and nineties.

Moore had that special touch of shouting: "IT'S IN THERE!" before letting you hear the crowd noise for around 5-10 seconds before summarising the goal. "It all started with a fantastic pass to (John) Barnes on the wing, he cut inside and sent a teasing cross right on to the head of (Ian) Rush" "What a last half hour we're set for now".

Both passionate and both legends of commentary although Motty is slightly over the hill now but he'll always be remembered as superb at his job.

I feel the exact opposite towards Moore. I was brought up with MotD on a Saturday followed by The Big Match (London) on Sunday afternoon. It was no contest as to which programme had the better commentator ( a fact borne out by Brian Moore never pulling anywhere near the better audience whether it was an FA Cup Final or WC Final when both were shown by the BBC and ITV) Brian Moore irritated me by his extreme shouting when a goal was scored and his gimmickry - 'name-take' instead of 'booking' anyone?. Moore had the unique ability to make a Cup Final feel like you were watching a match up the park. At the time I felt Hugh Johns was ITV's better commentator

Invicta

Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Much preferred Barry Davies and Brian Moore. Motson became quite cringeworthy 10 years back or so when the whole 'Mottty' thing started.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Oh Jesus H Christ
You are the love of my life
Oh Jesus H Christ
I'll let you shag my wife
Oh Jesus H Christ
We love your water trick too....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills