Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Have BHA FC Fans Got To Complain About....

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Well here is my list.

1: Letting Murray go.
2: Losing 3-1 at home to Palace.
3: Losing 2-0 at home to Palace.
4: Poyet pissing us about and possibly costing us promotion.
5: Letting Barnes go and not replacing him, this in my opinion may have cost us a decent chance of promotion.

6: Farting about close season and panic buying players close to dead line day.
7: Not replacing Ulloa with a decent replacement.
9: Boring football.
10: Still no sign of sporks.

Most of those arn't that recent, if you are going to focus so far back into the past why not add other irrelevancies like:
1: Southampton vs Spurs ending as a draw to deny us promotion
2: The sale of the Goldstone Ground to property developers
3: Having to groundshare in Gillingham

and so on.

Others you could argue arn't correct either
such as:
Do you think they decided not to bother signing someone until the last minute (which we have had late signings in most seasons as do most other clubs anyway) and do you not think that moves could hinge on the players old club which may be holding on for a replacement to be lined up before letting a cuurent player go or the player delaying things in case a better offer came along and so on.... (too easy to rightly or wrongly blame the club for this)
It took us a couple of seasons to get someone like Ulloa, they are not very common finds and the club wasn't really wanting to sell until an offer came in that was too good to turn down and the player chose to move (he could have said no and stayed even if the club agreed a fee) - They may not have been looking for a replacement until late in the process because they weren't expecting to need one or equally, there just arn't any similar players out there that are available (it took a long time to sign him due to work permit issues)
8[/8]
No point 8?
we are far more attacking and create more chances than in recent seasons so is excitement to you just getting 3 points? or getting lots of goals. games in the balance can be more exciting imo.
Only genuine reason listed above for complaint imo.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Well here is my list.

1: Letting Murray go.
2: Losing 3-1 at home to Palace.
3: Losing 2-0 at home to Palace.
4: Poyet pissing us about and possibly costing us promotion.
5: Letting Barnes go and not replacing him, this in my opinion may have cost us a decent chance of promotion.

1. Agreed
2. Teams lose football matches
3. Teams lose football matches
4. If it wasn't for Poyet we wouldn't have been in with a shout of promotion in the first place. Whether he pissed about or not is open to interpretation
5. Agreed. I wonder how the anti-Barnes brigade feel now
6. Blame the wage structure
7. Blame the wage structure
8. Boring and winning was better than exciting and losing
9. Absolutely scandalous

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
You know that. I know that. But do the 20,000 or so new fans we have acquired know that? This is the problem.

And sometimes sackings are justified...

Or they are happy, but a lot of fanatical supporters are so anxious that those newer supporters may stop going if everything isn't perfect so complain because they want it to be 100% (exciting football, results and promotion, etc)

But their complaining is the most likely thing to make these new fans feel down about going to games and therefore not bother in future (making the moaners seem right about their voiced concerns)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well if the line from the club is 'Premier League Ready' and it invests in management and players which are clearly not premier league ready there is an inconsistency which any self respecting supporter is going to be disappointed with.

Given that the club separate the acquisition of players from the manager, AND the club mantra is Premier League Ready then it loads the pressure on the manager.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Exactly this. We can all see that we aren't as good as we have been recently but things will not stay like this forever. It is the poor times (and they really aren't that poor at the moment in the grand scheme of things) that make the good times even more sweeter.

Supporting your Football club isn't about enjoying the good times and then losing interest or demanding that Mr X, Y or Z is sacked when we don't win a few games. It is about being there for it all and supporting the team no matter what the result is.

Damn straight!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
#5 - who is this Barnes chap that would've single handedly made the difference between us getting torn a new one by Derby in the playoff semi, and us getting promoted to the Premier League?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
#5 - who is this Barnes chap that would've single handedly made the difference between us getting torn a new one by Derby in the playoff semi, and us getting promoted to the Premier League?

He wouldn't have done single-handedly but us selling him and not replacing him meant we missed, the option of playing two up front or resting Ulloa at any point in the run-in.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
My list of moans:

1. I find it a bit weird that when you see players from the back, the kit looks like it's all blue.
2. That bloke behind me and his constant running commentary/negativity. There is no escape from it.
3. Why do stewards stand right in the exit stairwells when several hundred people are trying to get out?
4. They seem to have stopped selling Double Deckers.
5. The new-look Albion in the Community badges in the stadium don't look as good as the old ones.
6. Away fans seem really lacklustre this season.
7. Where am I supposed to put my pint when I'm also eating a pie?
8. The lighting behind the American Express Community Stadium sign never seems bright enough.
9. Still haven't seen anyone kick the ball right out of the ground, though Dunk came close.
10. The football's really boring.

Looking forward to seeing all 10 of these points addressed forthwith or I'm watching Eastbourne Borough next season.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I popped into Tesco in hounslow the other day. It was like downtown Baghdad. Not that there were so many people in burkas and such like, which there was a huge amount, which doesn't bother me in the slightest, but in the isles, there were boxes of various foodstuffs piled high, not on shelves. In one Isle, I came across a woman sat on the floor begging....I kid you not.

Compared to there, the old co-op was like harrods

With regards to the OP, we are just suffering a post euphoria blues. Doing well in the last few years of withdean, moving to a shiny new stadium and two seasons of playoffs- albeit failures. We lost our best manager for years, lost a pretty decent manager next, and players who we all loved watching at their best, Orlandi, Lopez and ulloa. And have ended up with a manager, who seems a nice chap but he is struggling with a squad that is either not up to it, or doesn't understand what he is trying to do.

Personally I see football now as a social event, to meet up with mates etc., with the football being there in front of you , but not nearly as important as it was when we were real underdogs in the football league. Now we are just another club with a nice stadium bouncing along in the second tier of the football pyramid. We are no longer angry fans, desparate for our the survival of our club, and fans who thought they were the Center of the club, rather than " customers".

I think in some ways it is a shame that Southampton are quoted as a team that we could emulate. They have owners who are prepared to spend huge amounts on players and due to the coaching prowess of their team infrastructure, have been able to bring the players on and develop them into works class players....bale, Walcott, oslade-chamberlain etc. I thought it was telling that sammy lee took one look at us and chose to work with people he didn't know, rather than an old mate. Hopefully all these players we are buying for the development squad will come through, but that will take time. Brighton fans just have to be patient.
Many Supermarkets up here have seen the Local Nepalese community deficate and urinate in the aisles ladies i hasten to add,even the wc's in the shopping centre have signs in English and Nepalese above the sinks stating these are for washing hands only i kid you not.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
I popped into Tesco in hounslow the other day. It was like downtown Baghdad. Not that there were so many people in burkas and such like, which there was a huge amount, which doesn't bother me in the slightest, but in the isles, there were boxes of various foodstuffs piled high, not on shelves. In one Isle, I came across a woman sat on the floor begging....I kid you not.

Compared to there, the old co-op was like harrods

With regards to the OP, we are just suffering a post euphoria blues. Doing well in the last few years of withdean, moving to a shiny new stadium and two seasons of playoffs- albeit failures. We lost our best manager for years, lost a pretty decent manager next, and players who we all loved watching at their best, Orlandi, Lopez and ulloa. And have ended up with a manager, who seems a nice chap but he is struggling with a squad that is either not up to it, or doesn't understand what he is trying to do.

Personally I see football now as a social event, to meet up with mates etc., with the football being there in front of you , but not nearly as important as it was when we were real underdogs in the football league. Now we are just another club with a nice stadium bouncing along in the second tier of the football pyramid. We are no longer angry fans, desparate for our the survival of our club, and fans who thought they were the Center of the club, rather than " customers".

I think in some ways it is a shame that Southampton are quoted as a team that we could emulate. They have owners who are prepared to spend huge amounts on players and due to the coaching prowess of their team infrastructure, have been able to bring the players on and develop them into works class players....bale, Walcott, oslade-chamberlain etc. I thought it was telling that sammy lee took one look at us and chose to work with people he didn't know, rather than an old mate. Hopefully all these players we are buying for the development squad will come through, but that will take time. Brighton fans just have to be patient.

Bloody hell Dave that is quite good for you, said it about right. Some people just feel we should be doing better, but think we are doing ok and probably better than our history suggests and a lot better than when I started supporting 50 years ago in the old 4th division. Think we tempted fans/customers with Utopia, but we need to get the infrastructure right first. All we are really, is about 5 staff away from being very successful, think we could all name those positions that we need. By the way, I remember that Tesco's, happy days.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
So it's the fans fault!? What utter, utter nonsense.

No, but the over reaction to events on and off the field is just that, an over reaction.

Player recruitment reached a new low in the summer. Sami's naive tactics have resulted in p1ss-poor defending (full-backs too advanced), and the cutting-edge of a jelly upfront (just what are Sami and the strikers doing to improve their scoring rate?).

did it? - how highly rated were the players that are being held as an example of what we had when they first joined us? - The difference was the lack of a weight of expectation from fans and the willingness to give the manager (Gus) time to alter the way we play and for it to cpome to fruition (reaching but failing in the play-offs)

Sami is having to start at a higher level and trying to change what we do for the best (lost count how many times people complained we weren't attacking enough and how boring it was under Gus (and Garcia)

We are not getting turned over and outclassed by other teams, we have rarely conceeded more than 1 goal a game but there is still room for improvement (which should come with time)

The strikers arn't scoring many goals which would be a disappointment to everyone connected to the club, but it's far too simplistic to lay the blame at the strikers as fans like you do. If they were getting countless chances a game and missing them, then yes, they would deserve a lot of the criticism they are currently getting but they arn't getting the chances to miss. (quality of supply?)

However Gus went through a similar lean period, and during that part of his reign we had a period during which we failed to even have a shot (on or off target) for several games !! Where was all the criticism being leveled at the recruitment team, etc then? - The difference, no expectation from the fans for the play-offs as a minimum.

At least we are having a go now, and with time and probably a few new signings, we should climb back up the table to were we should be and not stay near the bottom (our performances have deserved a lot more points than we have for various reasons / factors)

As a result, we are dangerously close to the relegation zone, with very few signs of improvement on the pitch, and a tough fixture list up to Jan.

And you blame the fans, many of which are drifting away, and this trend will continue without major surgery at the top of the club (P45's for Sami and Burke).

Do I need to remind you that NSC is NOT representative of our mainly fickle (like most clubs) fanbase?

Wake up.

Few signs of improvement? - we have been playing better the last few games imo. We won against Wigan and took the lead against Blackburn (something we haven't done very often this season)

There are people who read crap on here about how bad it all is (including your post that i am quoting) and the only bad things are our league position and lack of wins - not our performances! People like you make it out that we are being battered by the opposition and lucky even get a draw (but the truth is we often deserved more than the 1 point) and doesn't reflect on how we are playing.

People read these types of comment and are put off going (why bother if the football on offer is dull and hard to watch? - which it is not!!) this is why i say fans can influence people and put off others from attending, especially if it isn't cheap to get in. They may not neccessarily read it on here, but others do and the view spreads by word of mouth and the Withdean years were a good demonstration of this principal.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
In response...

No, but the over reaction to events on and off the field is just that, an over reaction. No it isn't. 1 win since Aug.

did it? - how highly rated were the players that are being held as an example of what we had when they first joined us? - The difference was the lack of a weight of expectation from fans and the willingness to give the manager (Gus) time to alter the way we play and for it to cpome to fruition (reaching but failing in the play-offs). The players we signed previously may not have been highly rated, but they delivered. We are more than a third of the way through the season, and only just above the relegation zone. Sami has had plenty of time, and it is clearly not working.

Sami is having to start at a higher level and trying to change what we do for the best (lost count how many times people complained we weren't attacking enough and how boring it was under Gus (and Garcia). I agree, but his changes are just too cavalier for me.

We are not getting turned over and outclassed by other teams, we have rarely conceeded more than 1 goal a game but there is still room for improvement (which should come with time) How much time? We need to give an experienced manager the time to turn things around with the help of the Jan transfer window. He needs to be in by Dec IMHO.

The strikers arn't scoring many goals which would be a disappointment to everyone connected to the club, but it's far too simplistic to lay the blame at the strikers as fans like you do. If they were getting countless chances a game and missing them, then yes, they would deserve a lot of the criticism they are currently getting but they arn't getting the chances to miss. (quality of supply?) Disagree wholeheartedly. It is not simplistic to point out the many chances missed / the failures to get on the end of quality balls into the box. For example, there were several good crosses into the box against Blackburn that Ulloa would have buried. Baldock nowhere to be seen of course.

However Gus went through a similar lean period, and during that part of his reign we had a period during which we failed to even have a shot (on or off target) for several games !! Where was all the criticism being leveled at the recruitment team, etc then? - The difference, no expectation from the fans for the play-offs as a minimum. The playoffs have been the expectation (set by Tony) for each of the previous 2 seasons, and this season, so I disagree again. Gus + recruitment team worked. Recruitment team + Oscar / recruitment team + Sami = shambles. Can you spot the real reason for the difference in transfer windows? It's got nothing to do with fan expectations.

At least we are having a go now, and with time and probably a few new signings, we should climb back up the table to were we should be and not stay near the bottom (our performances have deserved a lot more points than we have for various reasons / factors). I think you are watching games from a fan's, but not a realist's POV.

Few signs of improvement? - we have been playing better the last few games imo. We won against Wigan and took the lead against Blackburn (something we haven't done very often this season) I also think the performances have been better the last few games, but not much better, mainly because Sami has belatedly dumped his ridiculous full-backs as wingers tactic. Few signs of improvement is correct.

There are people who read crap on here about how bad it all is (including your post that i am quoting) and the only bad things are our league position and lack of wins - not our performances! People like you make it out that we are being battered by the opposition and lucky even get a draw (but the truth is we often deserved more than the 1 point) and doesn't reflect on how we are playing. Err. All that matters is results. See above. IMHO our performances have varied between woeful and average. To say that I am talking cr@p, given where we are in the table (and, less importantly, our performances) suggests to me that you are seriously deluded.

People read these types of comment and are put off going (why bother if the football on offer is dull and hard to watch? - which it is not!!) this is why i say fans can influence people and put off others from attending, especially if it isn't cheap to get in. They may not neccessarily read it on here, but others do and the view spreads by word of mouth and the Withdean years were a good demonstration of this principal. I will go whatever, but there are about 20,000 fans who WILL at least consider not turning up if we continue the way we are.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I miss Oscar, not a complaint as such though because I don't know what went on behind the scenes.

My only complaint is the 90 minutes week in week out where I don't feel the manager is getting the best from the players.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
My list of moans:

1. I find it a bit weird that when you see players from the back, the kit looks like it's all blue.
2. That bloke behind me and his constant running commentary/negativity. There is no escape from it.
3. Why do stewards stand right in the exit stairwells when several hundred people are trying to get out?
4. They seem to have stopped selling Double Deckers.
5. The new-look Albion in the Community badges in the stadium don't look as good as the old ones.
6. Away fans seem really lacklustre this season.
7. Where am I supposed to put my pint when I'm also eating a pie?
8. The lighting behind the American Express Community Stadium sign never seems bright enough.
9. Still haven't seen anyone kick the ball right out of the ground, though Dunk came close.
10. The football's really boring.

Looking forward to seeing all 10 of these points addressed forthwith or I'm watching Eastbourne Borough next season.

:clap2: Well Said (although I'd change the wording on 10 from 'boring' to 'frustrating' mind) other then that spot on.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
In response...

The strikers arn't scoring many goals which would be a disappointment to everyone connected to the club, but it's far too simplistic to lay the blame at the strikers as fans like you do. If they were getting countless chances a game and missing them, then yes, they would deserve a lot of the criticism they are currently getting but they arn't getting the chances to miss. (quality of supply?) Disagree wholeheartedly. It is not simplistic to point out the many chances missed / the failures to get on the end of quality balls into the box. For example, there were several good crosses into the box against Blackburn that Ulloa would have buried. Baldock nowhere to be seen of course.

I'd bet you'd be surprised at the number of times Lua Lua crosses without looking up first to see where our players are in the box (almost every time) It's just a rushed cross where he is trying to get that little bit of space and often knocked too far so he is strtching when trying to wrap his foot around it and deliver.

Multiple times our crosses have been played into areas our players are not by whoever is crossing. A great example is CMS earlier in the season, with what looked like a tap in had Gardner just played a cross along the deck to him when he was about 8 yards out and central to the goal, but instead he chipped the ball to the far post, giving CMS absolutely no chance to get on the end of it.

Lua Lua in the last match played a cross in mby pulling it back to the penalty spot when all of our players had expected and anticipated a cross along the 6 yard line where we were lining up to apply the finish but instead it went to the opposition and the chance was gone. - Having Ulloa would make little difference if the ball is played into areas where he wasn't.

The best cross in the last match? - the one by Baldock which was laid on a plate for our player when he just had to head it as it was very accurate.

the best crosses are those where the attacker has to do very little but just stick out a leg or head it without having to break stride. How many times have we seen that this season? What we have seen is almost the opposite cross to what our players do, Paddy crossed along the 6 yard box and then looked frustrated in one game when all our players were nearer the penalty spot and so on like above.

There is no attacking cohesion between the crosser of the ball and the forwards as they arn't on the same wavelength and that should be a focus of the management team to try to get this right and the goals flowing.

It's far too easy just to say that it's the strikers and that they arn't good enough.

the head of our player in the box from Baldock

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I like shopping in Waitrose, it has pleasant staff, the checkouts are nice and shiny, and you get a free cup of tea with your loyalty card.

For this I'm prepared to pay a small premium on the price for the food.

If, however, the food is a load of old crap that looks as if it wouldn't be acceptable in a prison canteen, I would probably take my custom away, or at the very least, speak to the shop manager, and say, that as a customer, I expect better fare.

But would you go to another supermarket ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here