Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Hughton continue to play the loan players?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Bar Bennett I see no reason to continue to play the loan players. Start Greer over halford and put a DS player on the bench for experience, start Kaz (must be chuffed he signed that new deal) and put a DS winger on bench and anyone but best up top.
What good is being served by having nearly half the team as loan players?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Bar Bennett I see no reason to continue to play the loan players. Start Greer over halford and put a DS player on the bench for experience, start Kaz (must be chuffed he signed that new deal) and put a DS winger on bench and anyone but best up top.
What good is being served by having nearly half the team as loan players?

Errm, to get us safe?

We have to play the best team we can until we are safe, surely. With so few games left, anything can happen.

PG

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Errm, to get us safe?

We have to play the best team we can until we are safe, surely. With so few games left, anything can happen.

PG
Not exactly doing a good job at the minute are they, would playing players that are contracted to the club and trying some DS players really weaken us?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I think we need to bring in other options to score so I see no point in not making changes - but we probably have to stick with the existing squad to get points at Wigan

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Errm, to get us safe?

PG

Do you believe that Carayol and Best are an improvement on KLL and O'Grady?

Although I quite rate Halford, is he really that much better than Greer or Hughes?

With the exception of Bennett (who I would never sign incidentally), I think the OP has a valid point. IMO, none of our loan players and that includes Tex have covered themselves in glory this season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
DS players can only get experience, by getting experience. There could be another Peter Ward, or Bobby Zamora, hiding from view..

Glenn Rea and Charlie Harris must be worth a start. You could add Muitt (as he can finish but lacks physical presence) and Dallinson always looks quite cultured, though with Dartford at the moment.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Kaz had his ideal role yesterday, coming on as an 'impact'. Totally ineffective alas. Needs to get back some sparkle.

With 3-4 players around him and colleagues that seemed incapable of giving him the ball early, so he could exploit any 1 on 1's. The speed of our build-up is half the problem.

My biggest criticism with Kaz is his apparent lack of confidence, whereas he was playing well prior to Christmas, since he came back he has not been at his best (other than vs Derby).

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I hate seeing us playing very average loan players instead of players that our are own.

That's why Best is getting such a hard time.

Loan players are okay if they add something to the team but if they are just been played instead of true Brighton players with no obvious benefit then it really is frustrating.

Best should never play, Carayol is arguably no better than Kaz.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Best was heralded by Hughton as the striker to get goals for us. You have to question the judgement of the man if he rates that steaming heap of lazy overpaid shit.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Wow, just wow......

Carayol is not fit and with the exception of a 20 yard burst Bournemouth and a poorly finished effort last night that hit the bar, I'm struggling to see what you obviously do.

As opposed to Kaz, who is fit, and just runs into dead ends, fails to get a good final ball in. The way he slows down to stop, then tries to beat 3 players is frustrating. 1 trick pony.

Incidentally, a shot hitting the bar is more than Kaz has done in a LONG time

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I can understand the OP viewpoint but my concern would be if you played the DS players against Watford or Boro it is a big ask to come in against promotion chasing sides and could affect confidence.

Houghton should be looking at who he thinks will still be at the club next year and playing them from the start. Some on here think we are sizing up Halford so play him, O'Grady is on a contract so play him over Best, Tex is out injured so try JFC in the advanced role, I don't know who our left back in the DS is but I would give them one start over Bennett before the end of the season.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Probably as we either don't have a LB at the club and the contracted players are even more ineffective than what we have on loan.

He what must be wondering how he ended up with such a poor, imbalanced toothless sqaud.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I think he's playing Halford because

1) Halford's now better than Greer.
2) He wants a new captain next year as it's now his team so he's phasing him out. Hopefully Kayal or Stephens for me.
3) He wants to buy Halford and he's already told him so (which is great news as I think he's the future).

I thought Bennet had a good game last night, and I hope we get him too.

As for Best. Well, his touch is quite good but my god we may has well have put a plank of wood up front last night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here