Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Best free kicks you have seen

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My top one is johhny metgod's free kick for forest against West Ham years ago..40 yards out lashed it into the top of the net...parkes in goal didn't see it!

Roberto Carlos...outside of the left foot aiming 5 ft outside the post again 30 yards out. Magnificent

Beckham vs Greece to take us to the WC/ EUROS?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Roberto Carlos is the one, always smile at the ball boy or is it a cameraman ducking.

Live - Jimmy Case at Highbury, not that I could see the ball going into the goal just the surge from the back of the stand all the way up; and
Dean Wilkins in the last minute v Ipswich go get us into the play offs

Honourable mention Vicente v Pompey and of course Spanish Dave on St Patricks Day

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
From a non Albion or England point of view, this is up there, especially as it had Barry Davies screaming 'Oh! I say!' as it went in.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Live - Jimmy Case at Highbury, not that I could see the ball going into the goal just the surge from the back of the stand all the way up; and
Dean Wilkins in the last minute v Ipswich go get us into the play offs

Honourable mention Vicente v Pompey and of course Spanish Dave on St Patricks Day

The Vicente one wasn't all that special, tbh - most notable for El Abd taking out the entire wall.

Spanish Dave's was superb. Literally a perfectly placed free kick.

Case's was sensational - particularly given the context. Context also makes the Wilkins one pretty special.

The best Albion one I've ever seen though (and I doubt many have seen better) was Wilkins' 35 yarder into the top corner, at Boundary Park, Oldham in about 1990 (unfortunately, it came with the Albion 6-0 down!)

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Jimmy Case at Highbury... and this one are both right up there...

I watched that one on tv, and the whole street must have known he'd scored, the way I celebrated it!

Jiri Skalak, and Knocky have score a couple of beauties too.

Spanish Dave's goal against Palace was superb, not just for the goal but forthe timing, seconds before halftime.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Spanish Dave's. Never heard (or felt) the place erupt like that before or since. You could just tell it was a special, special moment.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Spanish Dave's. Never heard (or felt) the place erupt like that before or since. You could just tell it was a special, special moment.

Quite. A bit of a bonus going in at half-time 2-0 up, which slightly flattered us.

By full time, we'd won 3-0, a scoreline which flattered Palace, with Zaha trying to worm his way out of Wayne Bridge's pocket.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Quite. A bit of a bonus going in at half-time 2-0 up, which slightly flattered us.

By full time, we'd won 3-0, a scoreline which flattered Palace, with Zaha trying to worm his way out of Wayne Bridge's pocket.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Jimmy Case at Highbury... and this one are both right up there...

In terms of ABSOLUTE SCENES it's hard to beat this one. Was CERTAIN from that moment we were going up. Everyone going ballistic up in the steep away stand of Loftus Road, feeling like you're gonna go flying down.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
That Ronaldo one v Spain in this year's World Cup :ohmy: :bowdown:

A great free-kick is in part about context.

Gazza's is arguably more important (North London derby, FA Cup Semi Final at Wembley in front of a sold-out crowd, etc.) but, CR's is the World Cup.

There is so much narrative around it as well. Firstly, the tax fine which the Spanish authorities decided to announce two hours before kick off. He then goes and carries Portugal into the lead, and just when you think Spain are back and they go 3-2 up with a wonderful volley (and look unstoppable in the process), Ronaldo draws a foul on the edge of the area. He poses in the most overdramatic fashion with four minutes to go, and with a free-kick record of 44 taken, 0 scored at major tournaments, pulls perfection out of the bag, leaving the world's best keeper static on his line. It snatches Portugal a draw and makes him the 47th player in World Cup history to score a hat-trick.

Arguably, it changed the whole tournament, as you really felt when Spain made it 3-2 they were hitting their stride and were going to fly off towards the final. That free-kick stopped that. Just fantastic, Hollywood-esque drama.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here