Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I’ve just found Calde’s result from that sprint triathlon that he did for charity in 2013 (what a ledge). He did the run leg of that in 20:21 after having spent 20 mins swimming and 46 mins on the bike. For comparison, I did a sprint tri with a run leg time 20:25 in the same year that I set my 5K PB of 17:26.

Great Tri and great results with so many Basque names. What stands out is that this year as a 58 year old I smashed the legend's tri time over the same distance ,whilst he was still a professional footballer. I would, of course, have waited on the line for him for 7 minutes as I would not have been able to disgrace the man. His 5k time was 2:30 minutes quicker than my 23:03.

Back in my 30's I only lost around 30 seconds of my 5k time during a tri.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
First run for a few weeks (knee & Achilles). A stately 2 miles in just under 16 minutes. Just nice to get out and get the legs and lungs working.

Good luck with your return.
Hopefully you'll hear me gasping away as I get near to your shoulder and just squeeze in front of your AG percentage. My mathematical approach is going well. 20:23 needed in the first 2 weeks in November will just be enough. Then off on my hols. Easy Parkrun next week as the Hove 10K on the Sunday. A trot out at Peacehaven Parkrun on the 27th, if anyone wants a lift.

Aware that you have an age increase in the last week of the year so will try and get some (heavy) breathing space between us..............

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
12 miles managed this morning. At least I didn't bail twice. Waved to [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] from the top of my cliff.

That's the last time I trust Met Office either. Their hour by hour had me getting soaked. In fact conditions were decent, a little humid but dry with a cooling easterly breeze.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Got frigging Plantar Fasciitis at the mo. All very annoying having to rest up, as I'd just got myself into a good rhythm. Hopefully the new running shoes I got measured for will negate this in the future.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
12 miles managed this morning. At least I didn't bail twice. Waved to [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] from the top of my cliff.

That's the last time I trust Met Office either. Their hour by hour had me getting soaked. In fact conditions were decent, a little humid but dry with a cooling easterly breeze.

This. Overslept, so ended going out about 10, fully prepared for a soaking according to BBC weather. 90 mins or so later, not a drop. Very misty on top the downs though.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Another one who fully expected to get drenched this morning. A round 14 miles and a last-minute change of plan when I bumped into a mate as I was on my way East up the big hill on the SDW at the Adur and went up through Annington, the pig farm and up the other way for a bit. Came down the other side of the river, so you could call it a variation of a Lunar-Tic lap. Legs were pretty knackered by the end – Beachy Head in two weeks is going to be interesting...

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Leicester Half Marathon complete in 2:02:18 (official results pending) in the pouring rain. Not up to the standard on here but never been so proud of myself having only started running 6 months ago following years of inactivity.

Feet agony, knee is a state but cholocate cake and a chilling bottle of wine will solve that later.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Another one who fully expected to get drenched this morning. A round 14 miles and a last-minute change of plan when I bumped into a mate as I was on my way East up the big hill on the SDW at the Adur and went up through Annington, the pig farm and up the other way for a bit. Came down the other side of the river, so you could call it a variation of a Lunar-Tic lap. Legs were pretty knackered by the end – Beachy Head in two weeks is going to be interesting...

I hate that bloody hill, but the one going west from the Adur to pig farm isn’t any better [emoji23][emoji23] (pointless fact - the pig farmer is a very keen runner, did the SDW100 last year. Don’t know if he stopped to check his stock en route though)

Leicester Half Marathon complete in 2:02:18 (official results pending) in the pouring rain. Not up to the standard on here but never been so proud of myself having only started running 6 months ago following years of inactivity.

Feet agony, knee is a state but cholocate cake and a chilling bottle of wine will solve that later.

Top effort, bloody well done [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Top effort. Couch to half marathon! Chocolate cake and bottle of wine is certainly up to the standard on here.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Good luck with your return.
Hopefully you'll hear me gasping away as I get near to your shoulder and just squeeze in front of your AG percentage. My mathematical approach is going well. 20:23 needed in the first 2 weeks in November will just be enough. Then off on my hols. Easy Parkrun next week as the Hove 10K on the Sunday. A trot out at Peacehaven Parkrun on the 27th, if anyone wants a lift.

Aware that you have an age increase in the last week of the year so will try and get some (heavy) breathing space between us..............

Good tactical awareness. I tried to add a bit of 'pace' today and realised that there's not much there. I've got that last week in December as a back-stop so, yes, I might have a very slim chance of biting back at you if (more likely, when) you do me in November. Hence I think I might have to fall back on the 'all time' (for now!) 79% AG NSC record to stop me from sobbing my way into 2019!

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester

Offical time 02:02:06 so a few seconds better than I thought. This running thing is a bloody slippery slope, suddenly wishing I had pushed harder to nip in under the two hour mark when before the event I was happy with anything under 2.5 hours!

Thanks to all for the encouragement. You guys (and ladies) spur me on to get better and break my own records next year :bounce:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I hate that bloody hill, but the one going west from the Adur to pig farm isn’t any better [emoji23][emoji23] (pointless fact - the pig farmer is a very keen runner, did the SDW100 last year. Don’t know if he stopped to check his stock en route though)

Top effort, bloody well done [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Having cycled up there about 50-60 times this year, I was quite glad to have to propel just myself up there. Same with the Bostal Road, which I crossed a bit later on!

Offical time 02:02:06 so a few seconds better than I thought. This running thing is a bloody slippery slope, suddenly wishing I had pushed harder to nip in under the two hour mark when before the event I was happy with anything under 2.5 hours!

Thanks to all for the encouragement. You guys (and ladies) spur me on to get better and break my own records next year :bounce:

That is fantastic and you're right – it's the kind of thing that keeps you coming back and entering events. Goes without saying that those two minutes and six seconds are WELL within reach, but for now – enjoy the cake and wine :thumbsup:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

That’s a great effort for a first timer. The bath (hope you’ve had it by now) the cake and the wine will go down well. You’ll spend the next few evenings looking up events. Enjoy it.

With regards to the others on here yes there are some superstars, but there also are some plodders and possibly some keyboard warriors!!! Regardless everyone is helpful and friendly....... and ultra competitive

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

:clap2:

Well done fella. Enjoy every sip of that wine. Your next race awaits :lol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
but there also are some plodders and possibly some keyboard warriors!!!

I, for example, am really a 6ft 10 trannie who runs in high heels, likes to be called "Maureen" at events and actually has a 5k best of 45 minutes.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I, for example, am really a 6ft 10 trannie who runs in high heels, likes to be called "Maureen" at events and actually has a 5k best of 45 minutes.

Aha,l know who you are now MO (and quite a looker on your day)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here