Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matt Ryan - SIGNED FOR CLUB RECORD TRANSFER FEE

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015
Are Newcastle in for him yet?

I was interested what your signature meant.

Life's not that bad, is it?

Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 21.15.41.png

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
SOCCEROOS goalkeeper Mat Ryan has spoken for the first time about rumours linking him with a move to new Premier League club Brighton and Hove Albion.

Reports over the weekend from the UK suggest that the former Central Coast Mariners custodian is set to become the club’s record signing with a $9 million deal, with La Liga club Valencia reportedly agreeing to a fee for the player they signed from Club Brugge in 2015.
Ryan, 25, has kept quiet over the gossip, but speaking to Fox Sports during the Socceroos camp in Australia, he said: “As a kid you grow up watching the Premier League; hopefully one day I can have the opportunity to play there.
“It would be a challenge I would welcome, and I would do my best and hopefully it would create some nice memories to remember for a long time.”
Speaking to Fox Sports News’ Daniel Garb, Ryan said he won’t let the transfer gossip distract him from a massive few weeks with Australia’s national team at the Confederations Cup in Russia.

However, he did not defuse the speculation either.
“Obviously it’s one of the best leagues in the world, being the Premier League, depending on people’s opinions.
“As a footballer you want to test yourself against the best, obviously if someone is playing in England they’re doing that.
“At Valencia in Spain you do that also.
“It’s exciting times, some of the boys are plying their trade in some of the top leagues and that can only benefit the Socceroos in the future.”
He added: “I have an agent to look after all that stuff. My job is to focus on the field and that’s what I’m doing here in camp.
“We have an exciting month coming up playing some of the best football national teams in the world.”
Ryan moved to Genk on a loan deal to get game time after falling down the pecking order at the struggling La Liga club, for whom he has played just 10 times in the league over two seasons. Injury hampered the start to his life at a club, which then endured a shocking season and coaching upheaval.
After being the undisputed No.1 in Gosford, and then in Belgium, this has taught Ryan plenty about the game, and life.
“There’s not always an explanation for life but it’s gone that way,” he reflected.
“It’s taught me a thing or two about taking things for granted, like having a starting berth. Like anything when it’s taken away from you, you realise how much it means to you and how much you want it back … going through my experience of the last two years there, that’s one thing I’ve probably learnt and promised myself when I’m back in a team, playing again, to enjoy it that much more, sacrifice that much more, do everything that much more to keep that position.”
One position he isn’t taking for granted is with the Socceroos, where Stuttgart goalkeeper Mitch Langerak is applying immense pressure on his stranglehold on the No.1 position he has held since Ange Postecoglou’s appointment.
The Bundesliga keeper was a shock starter in Tehran against Iraq, and also played a huge role in keeping the scoreline down to four at the end of the friendly against Brazil.
“Obviously the boss has relayed the message constantly that no one’s position is safe in the team …
“Mitch is a quality keeper - he’s proved that many times.
“I can only concentrate on what I bring to the team … hopefully with what I have I can influence the coach’s decision to choose me to play, but at the same time I know there’s fierce competition always and one bad game can be the difference between being in the team.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...s/news-story/72e6c579e070c5741717ded7ef9b32a1

Seagullssss

Aug 3, 2016
I don't know much about Matt Ryan.

I saw him a few years ago play for Australia and look good, but he only played 10 times in his first season at Valencia. In the second he only played twice and was then loaned out to Genk, why is he costing a club record amount???

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
FIVE years?

Long contracts, just like last time we were in the top flight...

Pump3ster

Dec 15, 2014

I saw him a few years ago play for Australia and look good, but he only played 10 times in his first season at Valencia. In the second he only played twice and was then loaned out to Genk, why is he costing a club record amount???

I imagine Valencia rated his potential as 25 is young for a keeper, he is also an international who has played fairly well for his country and in Belgium. By Record transfer fee that could mean as little as £4M which is pennies in the Premier League.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Welcome to finest club in the land, Mr Ryan.

If you could see to it that you're not shit though, that would be grand. I would like to remain amused that you a five year deal while our previous keeper didn't get the 3 years he wanted. That will not be remotely chucklesome if you turn out to be absolute gash.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Get him to tap up Mooy while they are together fot the Socceroos

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

We're paying less than Valencia paid (rumour).

They've changed their manager a heck of a lot of times in the last three years: that's probably why he's played so little.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here