Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Binmen going on another 3 day strike

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
In an odd state of affairs the teaching assistants were going on strike as well to support the drivers demands that they be better paid than them

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Their spokesman said it was unfair they were paid the same as TAs and said that driving the truck was very stressful.

Stressful my arse what about lifeguards who work for minimal wage? Or doctors & nurses & response staff who work for a pittance? Bunch of hand shankers who don't know what stressful work is.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
In an odd state of affairs the teaching assistants were going on strike as well to support the drivers demands that they be better paid than them

The driver strike is a local GMB branch action about local pay differentials. The strike due on 14 Oct was cross union & national about the national public sector pay offer. They're unrelated.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Their spokesman said it was unfair they were paid the same as TAs and said that driving the truck was very stressful. I think he was being serious but it can't have won many over.

I am a leftie, pro-union man in most things but I've had very little support for their arguments since they started these actions

My wife said she would quite happily have one of them in her class for a couple of weeks, with all the children she has to help with various issues. They wouldn't last a Day!

Our bins were supposed to be collected today as they fecking well missed us yesterday for no reason, so the council said that agency trucks were coming round to collect today and guess what...no sign.

In our close we are approaching a solicitor to see if we can withhold a portion of our council tax....and the cost of petrol as we are now having to take our rubbish ourselves to the tip.

Wankers

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The problem is since September 10th all vocational drivers who driver vehicles over a gross weight of 5t are by law required to have completed their drivers CPC qualification, but almost 40,000 drivers have not taken this up.
Maybe the union is using this to get a bigger pay rise for the drivers and using the shortfall of people coming in to the transport industry as a bargaining tool.

The Campanologist

Sep 1, 2014
In our close we are approaching a solicitor to see if we can withhold a portion of our council tax....and the cost of petrol as we are now having to take our rubbish ourselves to the tip.

Wankers

Yes do let us know how well you get on with that, I'm sure the said solicitor in your close is welcoming you with open arms. Even someone with half a brain will tell you withholding a portion of your council tax is futile and a waste of time.

The Campanologist

Sep 1, 2014
I spent 6 months working at CityClean on a temporary contract rolling out the communal recycling scheme - I was offered a permanent role but I can honestly say it was a nightmare working there.

The place is run by the GMB and it is stuck in some sort of time warp - any slightest change is met with incredible hostility and negativity. It is so badly managed up there it's untrue.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Can any of the pro Union types on here explain to me why, during my three years in Burgess Hill I had a seamless service, no strikes and exceptional recovery time should weather call time on rounds, we had three snow events in that time btw. It depresses me the state of the city's streets and these mugs are the cause.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes do let us know how well you get on with that, I'm sure the said solicitor in your close is welcoming you with open arms. Even someone with half a brain will tell you withholding a portion of your council tax is futile and a waste of time.

I will certainly do that and she has welcomed us with open arms being the wife one of our neighbours. Seemly there was a ruling in South shields very similar to what is going on, so who knows.

But thanks for your concern.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
It must be very stressful, don't you think, sitting in a cabin and watching everyone else do the work?

Work? do they even know the meaning of the word? Any part of a dustman's job that involved a bit of work has been handed over to residents to do, I'm wondering how long it will be before they expect us to put our rubbish in the dustcart for them as well.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I spent 6 months working at CityClean on a temporary contract rolling out the communal recycling scheme - I was offered a permanent role but I can honestly say it was a nightmare working there.

The place is run by the GMB and it is stuck in some sort of time warp - any slightest change is met with incredible hostility and negativity. It is so badly managed up there it's untrue.

This, sadly, is the reality of the situation there - a militant old style GMB branch and a load of Neanderthals.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014

My son also worked there as an agency employee when he was "between jobs" last year. I couldn't believe the stories he told me of his time there, without doubt, with some exemptions, they were the laziest, most work shy group he had ever come across. The managers and supervisors were OK guys though but the HR, senior managers and councilors were shit scared of them.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Can any of the pro Union types on here explain to me why, during my three years in Burgess Hill I had a seamless service, no strikes and exceptional recovery time should weather call time on rounds, we had three snow events in that time btw. It depresses me the state of the city's streets and these mugs are the cause.

Anyone?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Even someone with half a brain will tell you withholding a portion of your council tax is futile and a waste of time.

Why's that then, when you're paying for a service you're not getting? Not much different from applying for compensation from Thameslink when their crappy train is half an hour late.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I will certainly do that and she has welcomed us with open arms being the wife one of our neighbours. Seemly there was a ruling in South shields very similar to what is going on, so who knows.

But thanks for your concern.

Doesn't she live with him then?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why's that then, when you're paying for a service you're not getting? Not much different from applying for compensation from Thameslink when their crappy train is half an hour late.

Because it's actually illegal to withhold your council tax - you can go to prison for it. I agree you should get council tax back when a service isn't provided but sadly there is nothing you can do to force this. The result for [MENTION=20]granny weatherwax[/MENTION] will be one of the following :

1. A solicitor's bill for a pointless case and being forced to pay any council tax arrears
2. Just paying his council tax as demanded
3. A stretch at her maj's pleasure making sure he doesn't bend over in the showers

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because it's actually illegal to withhold your council tax - you can go to prison for it. I agree you should get council tax back when a service isn't provided but sadly there is nothing you can do to force this. The result for [MENTION=20]granny weatherwax[/MENTION] will be one of the following :

1. A solicitor's bill for a pointless case and being forced to pay any council tax arrears
2. Just paying his council tax as demanded
3. A stretch at her maj's pleasure making sure he doesn't bend over in the showers

But if everyone did it as a collective effort then it will be different. Technically yes, a law is broken, but I am pretty certain no one will get prosecuted. I remember a bunch of commuters from Bristol I think decided enough was enough and stopped paying for train travel but still travelled and it did change things-people listened.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here