Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Didn't particularly want to clog up the board with another thread...so a query over bikes being locked up at the Amex on match day.....anyone experienced any damage to their bike and is it fairly easy to chain one up at the bike stands for someone who arrives close to kick off

TIA

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Didn't particularly want to clog up the board with another thread...so a query over bikes being locked up at the Amex on match day.....anyone experienced any damage to their bike and is it fairly easy to chain one up at the bike stands for someone who arrives close to kick off
:
TIA

:eek: Did you get permission from Stat before posting on here. :whistle:

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

TIA
It depends on the weather/time of year. If you arrive late in August on a Sunny day then you will be searching for somewhere to lock the bike securely. The main bike racks under cover and with high enough metal bars that you can safely lock your frame and wheel go quicker than the ones that you can only lock a wheel. We are no longer allowed to lock to the station fences but if you arrive late there are places you can lock a bike on the university side of the station. I personally have not had any damage done to my bike.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:eek: Did you get permission from Stat before posting on here. :whistle:

Now now Banjo, you little tinker, you know full well we are a broad church open to everyone.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
They are a great shoe, but if you're waiting till spring you might want to keep an eye out for deals through the Autumn.

As you're looking for quick on and offability you do need that style of lacing.
The shoes go from parts of your feet to slippers with just a twist of the dial(s), which can easily be done while still riding, fast.

Thanks for your shopping guide. Gone for the £59 Luck Pilot shoe as I was not quick enough to take advantage of the Star offer. Still looks a good shoe even if they do call it an an amateurs shoe.

Must be an age thing that my head was stuck on velcro.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks for your shopping guide. Gone for the £59 Luck Pilot shoe as I was not quick enough to take advantage of the Star offer. Still looks a good shoe even if they do call it an an amateurs shoe.

Must be an age thing that my head was stuck on velcro.
I'm sure they'll be excellent, for a amateur!

By comparison Velcro is quite cumbersome, esp if the top strap is a ratchet.

With what you're getting you turn the dials according to how tight you want it, then just one turn in the opposite direction completely releases all the tension.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Watching this [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] and I instantly thought of you:-

[tweet]1027640629063569418[/tweet]

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Seeing Stat start another cycling binfest has got me thinking. As loads on there will be describing themselves as a motorist and cyclist, I wonder which should come first?

A quick look at my Strava stats says my weekly average this year is 11h 25m and 161 miles.

If I logged my car journeys, considering most weeks I don't drive our car at all, I think I might just stop calling myself a motorist completely.
🚲🚕🚗🚛🚚🚑🚗🚗🚜🚗 😀

hertsseagull

hertsseagull
May 15, 2011
Hi Cycling Experts

I’m fairly new to cycling and have got into it through triathlon. I am doing a 70.3 half iron man in September and apart from the distances themselves, the thing I fear most is a puncture! Are there any tyres you’d recommend which give good road performance (I tend to ride at around 14mph so slower than you lot) but which are near puncture proof as one can get? Happy to spend a bit of cash on the tyres as an investment in the race.
All recommendations gratefully received from the NSC cycling expert crew!

Cheers

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hi Cycling Experts

I’m fairly new to cycling and have got into it through triathlon. I am doing a 70.3 half iron man in September and apart from the distances themselves, the thing I fear most is a puncture! Are there any tyres you’d recommend which give good road performance (I tend to ride at around 14mph so slower than you lot) but which are near puncture proof as one can get? Happy to spend a bit of cash on the tyres as an investment in the race.

Cheers

Michelin pro 4 endurance v2.

https://m.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COT9htj86dwCFUiC7QodiCcKJw

Don't listen to the inevitable Continental recommendations.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hi Cycling Experts

Cheers

I second the 'Conti Gatorskin w**kfest', I don't see it myself.

The last time I did an investigation into tyres, for my winter bike, I bought Schwalbe Durano Raceguard's.

I'd have bought them for the reasons you requested and they haven't let me down.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey charlie - as we crossed the A259 at Climping today, the fella crossing in the other direction was pushing one of these:-

A Baines Flying Gate 1937 Vintage bicycle

221757c94df87836f57283e9cee74f51.jpg

sweet.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Hi Cycling Experts

Cheers

I bought a pair of Vittoria Randonneur (28s) for winter last year - they've been through mud, gravel, cobbles, snow, dirty roads etc. Not a single puncture & seem to be absolutely bombproof. They feel fine rolling over the tarmac too (I ride about the same avg speed as you for what its worth) despite online reviews saying they are too heavy and offer too much rolling resistance.....rubbish I say, they dont feel any different to other tyres I've used.
I've also been impressed with my summer tyres (Hutchinson Nitro 2) and have also had zero blowouts on those. Almost a whole year without digging out the tyre levers or patches - unheard of for me tbh! :eek:)

Now I've said that, you know Im going to get a whole load all in one go....!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hi Cycling Experts

Cheers

Oh and don't forget tyre pressure.
Your best prevention against p*******s is maintaining your chosen pressure, I ride on about 105psi.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
[MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] should have got himself a commission.

At this point I usually get very twitchy when recommending to a point of people actually listening and parting with their hard earned cash.

Not this time though, other than the actual fit, I really can't see how anybody would be disappointed with this shoe (other than paying £30 more than me. :lolol: )

I’ve received the shoes and based upon me just walking around the house in them, I can verify that they very much feel like a pair of slippers, and even more slippery on the tiled kitchen floor.

I haven’t tried them to ride in yet, but might just save them for when my new bike arrives.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
[MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] should have got himself a commission.

At this point I usually get very twitchy when recommending to a point of people actually listening and parting with their hard earned cash.

Not this time though, other than the actual fit, I really can't see how anybody would be disappointed with this shoe (other than paying £30 more than me. :lolol: )

I’ve received the shoes and based upon me just walking around the house in them, I can verify that they very much feel like a pair of slippers, and even more slippery on the tiled kitchen floor.

I haven’t tried them to ride in yet, but might just save them for when my new bike arrives.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I am pleased you like them (so far), as said I get ever so twitchy when someone actually spends their money on a recommendation.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here