Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs India First Test - Edgbaston

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Keaton Jennings sweepstake anyone?

I'll go for 14.

And as I check the score, up pops one of NSC's own on the BBC cricket feed.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Attendances at test cricket are a real worry. I think this is a combination of ticket prices and the game no longer on terrestrial telly. 18 years without terrestrial tv and you are starting to reap what you sow in terms of generations of fans having no affinity for this form of the game. As a youngster I loved a Saturday and Sunday dipping in and out of the test match, it is what gave me my passion for watching the long form, and ended up with my regular trips to test matches.

The future looks bleak for the long form at first class and international level, the game is sleepwalking into oblivion simply because we've given the young no connection to it, pricing them out of it. We're relying on my generation and above to remind everyone how great it is, but it won't be enough.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Attendances at test cricket are a real worry. I think this is a combination of ticket prices and the game no longer on terrestrial telly. 18 years without terrestrial tv and you are starting to reap what you sow in terms of generations of fans having no affinity for this form of the game. As a youngster I loved a Saturday and Sunday dipping in and out of the test match, it is what gave me my passion for watching the long form, and ended up with my regular trips to test matches.

The future looks bleak for the long form at first class and international level, the game is sleepwalking into oblivion simply because we've given the young no connection to it, pricing them out of it. We're relying on my generation and above to remind everyone how great it is, but it won't be enough.

I agree with every word of this. The powers that be have done a shocking job of keeping the longer form of the game relevant. To be honest, the 50 over game is almost irrelevant too. I remember in the 80s and 90s, the one day finals (two or three a season) would be sold out at Lords and big sporting occasions - nowadays there is one final. I doubt Hampshire beating Kent last month barely registered with most sports fans. That said, the difference is that I don't think the loss of 50 over cricket would be any great loss.

To me, the solution was so obvious and straight forward about ten years ago:
1) sell domestic T20 to the highest bidders and make it proper season long championship. There is a place for T20, it is fast, it is done in an evening, and TV will pay big bucks for it.
2) Insist on all home test match series being covered terrestrially. Sell them to the highest bidder where a guarantee is made to show it for free on FreeView *and* FreeSat plaforms.

The money generated from 1) should subsidise the 4 day game, home test match cricket series will pay for itself.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cook gone.

How many ex-captains in test cricket have actually gone on and kept up or regained lost form once they've lost the captaincy? :shrug:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Cook gone.

How many ex-captains in test cricket have actually gone on and kept up or regained lost form once they've lost the captaincy? :shrug:

To be fair it was an absolute beauty, need Rooty to come in and steady the ship with Keats.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Cook gone.

Don't worry, he'll score 200 in one of these Tests and hold onto his place for another year on the back of it.

Or because there is no other option.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The Indians really annoy me screeching and screaming hows that every ****ing, ball even when it’s hit the middle of the bat racing away on the ground for 4

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Agree with the sentiment but the crowd looks pretty healthy and there are loads of kids there.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

It doesn't help starting this game on a Wednesday. Day 1 at northern venues hardly ever sell out unless it's the Ashes. I think the Wednesday start would rule out the non-locals who stay over and go to two days because of time off work and extra expense with hotels.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Jennings goes for 42, slightly exceeding many expectations on here.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It doesn't help starting this game on a Wednesday. Day 1 at northern venues hardly ever sell out unless it's the Ashes. I think the Wednesday start would rule out the non-locals who stay over and go to two days because of time off work and extra expense with hotels.

There are tickets available for the first 3 days of the Thursday starting 2nd test at Lords at next week. It wasn't that long ago most test matches at Lords were ticket ballot, let alone sell outs, and certainly not able to get a ticket for the first 3 days a week before the match.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here