And the next England manager is?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Of the realistic options Hiddink.

Southgate or Pardew would turn me in to an honorary Frenchman. Allerdyce would at least put some passion back in and, frankly, Iceland showed last night that you don't have to play tika-taka to win at international level.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I thought Shearer too but then I saw some of his team selections in the papers for the last few games and it was pretty much the same as Hodgson - strikers shunted out wide, players out of form being picked etc.

Roberto Martinez is free but then as you say, we don't want another powderpuff type which is how he presents himself to me.

Slight confession, I can't remember much of his time at Newcastle but I just think the character is right.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Who i would like = Tim Sherwood :love: Who they will appoint , = Somebody else though my guess would be Arsene Wenger

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
If we are going foreign then I would consider nice guy Irishman Chris Hughton. With the way he turned us around last year he could do wonders with England.

It won't happen so I won't go on about how I would miss him, but I think it could be a good appointment

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Can't think of anyone English or British inspiring.

Klinsmann, Hiddink or Bilic for me.... but doubt they would want it

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I have a feeling we could see the return of an all forgiven Glen Hoddle.

Did a passable job first time round and had the respect of both the FA and the players until his other wordliness got the better of him. I suspect he has changed since.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Disappointed that Hodgson resigned, it was the players who failed.
But fir next manager, I would not be surprised if Southgate got the job. Pardew if he is willing to leave Palace, but I will not be happy with either of these options.
Allardyce isnt a bad shout, but again, still not an inspired option. Eddie Howe, too young.
Foreign... maybe Hiddink, LVG or Blanc, I would be happy with them, possibly Pellegrini?

Don't disagree that the players failed, but some pretty inept preparation and bizarre calls from management didn't help. Sterling and Kane to start? 6 changes for a must win game? Leaving both Dier and Henderson on the pitch vs Slovakia when we needed to score (even allowing Henderson in the plane, let alone the pitch one could argue)? Four minutes for Rashford to change the world vs Iceland when we hadn't even got a shot on target in the 2nd half, and then have him play left wing? Vardy on the bench for over an hour? Kane taking dead balls? 17 different starters in 4 games, only 1(?) forced by injury? An unfit Wilshere as the first sub used? Pushing Rooney back into a holding role when losing?
How many of us thought any of those were reasonable calls at the time, let alone with the benefit of hindsight?
Woy had a complete breakdown of logic and planning - and don't get me started on how we contrived to concede to a simple long throw routine that we KNEW was coming...
No, management preparation and decision making was risible. Do you think that squad would draw with Slovakia and lose to Iceland with a Conte or a Mourinho in charge? I don't.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Don't disagree that the players failed, but some pretty inept preparation and bizarre calls from management didn't help. Sterling and Kane to start? 6 changes for a must win game? Leaving both Dier and Henderson on the pitch vs Slovakia when we needed to score (even allowing Henderson in the plane, let alone the pitch one could argue)? Four minutes for Rashford to change the world vs Iceland when we hadn't even got a shot on target in the 2nd half, and then have him play left wing? Vardy on the bench for over an hour? Kane taking dead balls? 17 different starters in 4 games, only 1(?) forced by injury? An unfit Wilshere as the first sub used? Pushing Rooney back into a holding role when losing?
How many of us thought any of those were reasonable calls at the time, let alone with the benefit of hindsight?
Woy had a complete breakdown of logic and planning - and don't get me started on how we contrived to concede to a simple long throw routine that we KNEW was coming...
No, management preparation and decision making was risible. Do you think that squad would draw with Slovakia and lose to Iceland with a Conte or a Mourinho in charge? I don't.

Agree with this. Generally I feel sorry for England managers as there is a ridiculous over expectation in this country and we're nowhere near as good as we think we are. However, Hodgson got pretty much every decision wrong from the moment he picked the squad e.g. taking two players who had been out for most of the season/the last month or two (Wilshere/Henderson) ahead of a key part of Leicester's Premier League winning team (Drinkwater), taking only one winger (Sterling) who had a poor season when the in form Townsend was available etc.

His team selections were ridiculous. I can't understand why anyone would pick Sterling for games.

The worry for England is that we've not won a knockout match at a tournament for 10 years now (and apparently only six since 1966) so this is the norm. And our defence is very poor. And the young, exciting future that we had didn't perform here, specifically Alli and Kane. Need to rebuild again now but I really hope the FA don't go for Southgate. Having said that, if you're the sort of candidate England fans would want, why would you take on a side that consistently under perform and are faced with high expectations. We're the Villa/Newcastle of International football.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Andrea Leadsom.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Is available..........

steve-evans.jpg

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander

Of course it's down to the manager, no question. If players don't understand and believe in the the philosophy of the manager then they are doomed to fail. Mourinho is a good example of how this works, when his players go on the pitch they are fully focused and ready to kill. Great managers make players great.

The problem is not the players, they are plenty good enough, whatever anyone says.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Paul Jewel............he applies for every other job, why not that one

Hasnt his son just joined us in recruitment so he will be looking for a scouting job with us.

As next England manager I would throw Tony Adams into the reckoning has some managerial experience but great grounding as an England and Arsenal captain and player. A better option than many suggested.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here