Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Easter services: will you be going to church, Christians?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Surprisingly there is not much archaeological evidence of crucifixion and I guess that nails may not have always been available. There is a theory that the cross may have even been an "X", or there may have been many different methods used.

When I studied early Christian history I took a peripheral interest in Roman things. Crucifixion was a common way of disposing of the lowest orders as well as enemies of the state (I guess Jesus was the latter). The exact method probably varied, although it's likely that there would have been a large scaffold people were attached to. There are accounts of about 6,000 simultaneous crucifixions of war enemies, all strung out along a single road. I have no trouble accepting Christ was crucified, especially as it was such a humiliating death that some may have wished to suggest he died otherwise.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I dont know how to post it but if you google Eggs not to be called Easter Eggs you will get the stories from the papers and manufacturers.

or, if you do actually google "Eggs not to be called Easter Eggs" you get a bunch of stories denying this is happening.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I have bought Cadbury eggs for my grandchildren. It definitely says Easter on them. The Daily Star is not exactly renowned for it's truth and accuracy, but that hasn't stopped people spreading the stupidity on the internet, especially Facebook.

Cadbury would be the very last firm to deny East as the founders were Quakers.

Our church didn't have a service today, but we will be at the 9.30 service at Church of Christ the King, on Sunday morning.

They're modern pentecostals aren't they ? Good to see they are still going strong. I heard there were about four meeting groups in the area.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
They're modern pentecostals aren't they ? God to see they are still going strong. I heard there were about four meeting groups in the area.

Yes, we have over 1400 members so can't all fit in one building now. East Brighton meet at the Racecourse, the centre at New England Street, Clarendon Villas in Hove, and at Shoreham Academy.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
When I studied early Christian history I took a peripheral interest in Roman things. Crucifixion was a common way of disposing of the lowest orders as well as enemies of the state (I guess Jesus was the latter). The exact method probably varied, although it's likely that there would have been a large scaffold people were attached to. There are accounts of about 6,000 simultaneous crucifixions of war enemies, all strung out along a single road. I have no trouble accepting Christ was crucified, especially as it was such a humiliating death that some may have wished to suggest he died otherwise.

Christ, himself, does not seem to be someone who shied away from humiliating things. On the contrary, his followers used it as a great catapult for their religion.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Are you going to church today to be with your Jesus who is hung on the cross to die for your sins?

Will you be there on Easter Sunday as he is resurrected and risen?

Or, is it just a load of old mythical nonsense....?

Once upon a time I would have been going to church on Sunday and every other Sunday but that wasn't my choice as a kid up to the age of 14 or so. Sometimes I can't believe how much society has changed in the last 25/30 years

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
How dare you find a story that falls into what I read and said. You will be the next to be called an idiot because somebody read some of the sites mentioned on that google search which fell in with their view not all of them. Thanks anyway.

It's one story. A company promoting their own Easter Eggs has made the allegation. (The allegation was highlighted by the makers of the “Real Easter Egg”, a fair trade chocolate product which carries a Christian message) It's nonsense as can be seen in any supermarket or any online retailers. If you actually believe it then I can't think of any other word to describe you other than idiot.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
How anybody can believe in this two thousand year old tosh is beyond me. God, Angels, Devils just primitive nonsense.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. People like to escape from reality in all sorts of ways - cinema and football matches, for example.

I only have a problem with it when people try and impose their beliefs and dogma on other people and the general populous.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Utter bollocks. A publicity piece for the religious chocolate man. Never mind the facts.

If you try clicking the link I posted you can see EASTER plastered all over Cadbury's EASTER website. How does this fit with the idea that they are removing references to EASTER from their products? No wonder they "declined to comment" on this nonsense.
Yes , their website , they have been deliberately removed from the packaging on products in the shops , THAT is why they declined to comment.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here