Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Martin Samuel in The Mail today - Brighton Beware

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Pretty dull article which only exposes that he obviously knows nothing about what's gone on at Middlesbrough in the past couple of years. Anyone that followed their promotion season knows Karanka was a disaster waiting to happen and hasn't been at all surprised by their negative tactics and long overdue decision to get rid of him. Still, I suppose it's just the first of many fillers that'll be rattled off about the Albion over the summer.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That's one view. There's another.

I'd have thought they'd be buoyed by it. There's no way that's going to happen again and there must be lots of would be Leicester fans now willing to bet on their team doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps. But bookies are like insurance firms, they absolutely DESPISE paying out. And lets face it, anyone who's going to make a bet at 5,000/1 is every bit as likely to take a punt on 2,500/1. Its just mug punter odds. They got burned though, so all they're doing is halving their exposure against another freak occurrence like Leicester.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Albion supporters aren't his target audience I would have thought

Exactly. Might all seem like granny-sucking-eggs stuff to us, but we'll only just recently have appeared on a lot of Premier League radars. There'll be a lot of ignorance about us out there (just look at the comments section). So a well balanced article giving a bit of background to BHA is no harm done IMO.

Unless you're someone who already knows it all and so decide to look down your nose at it anyway (I mean generally, not specifically YOU btw)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Best part of the article.

Palace currently jointly hold the record for most relegations from the PL. This could explain their current loss of form, they want to the sole holders of this record and are going all out to secure their 5th relegation from the PL.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What he said was reasonable but not ground breaking.

By the way TB has now spent £300 million on the Albion if my calcs are correct.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Albion supporters aren't his target audience I would have thought

His target audience, as ever, is simpletons.

It's an article about nothing at all. Not one person in the universe is saying that Albion are guaranteed to stay up, and yet that is what he is attempting to debunk.Martin Samuel loves his straw-men arguments more than I love Inigo Calderon and this is a nice example of him knocking out a few hundred words about naff-all, attempting to disprove something that no one in their right mind actually thinks.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
His target audience, as ever, is simpletons.

It's an article about nothing at all. Not one person in the universe is saying that Albion are guaranteed to stay up, and yet that is what he is attempting to debunk.Martin Samuel loves his straw-men arguments more than I love Inigo Calderon and this is a nice example of him knocking out a few hundred words about naff-all, attempting to disprove something that no one in their right mind actually thinks.

Absolute cobblers, that's not what he's "attempting to debunk" at all. A classic example of deciding exactly what you want to think about the piece before you've even read it, because you don't like the journo. And then slagging it off accordingly. No its not Pulitzer Prize-winning stuff, its just a general observation piece on a recently promoted club, which doesn't tell us Albion fans an awful lot we don't already know, but might be of some interest to a wider audience.

Signed,

A. Simpleton.

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Tony Bloom is a great chairman and fan..........but is also a shrewd businessman .
If we find ourselves in the bottom 3 at New Year , Hughton will be gone.........

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
What a Pointless Article.

He is telling Brighton fans they might get relegated next year just as Middlesbrough have done. How enlightening !

Every Brighton fan knows there is a potential for relegation. Does he think we are deluded and it doesn't even take such acts as he described for to be relegated. We won't get relegated but it won't be pretty football and we will probably tinker with it at points during the season but it how you react in crucial points in the season and how you prepare in advance of the season which sets teams aside.

The two sides who have gone down so far have got it wrong in the transfer market at the start of the season. That's why they are gone.

By all means write an article like that but don't expect reasonably intelligent football fans to be thinking ''Wow that guy has really enlightened me and taught me something with the content of his article''

Its like 16th Century Europe - Crown you King whilst sharpening the knives/pen to cut your throat in readiness for the next Monarch

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't really rate the article to be honest. Bit of a non-story. And yes our 'right way of doing things' may not bring us massive success in the Premier League. But what it will bring us is long term consistency, and that even if we are relegated, we're in a good position to challenge again, rather than enter into freefall.

Clearly we have a reasonable chance of getting relegated, but as with Middlesborough it is not an indication of us being too sort, perfect or nice. And there is an implication that we have not experienced these things already. Yes the standard will be higher, but player discontentment, managerial egotism, media play, tough competition - we've experienced this for the past few years anyway.

The article he's referring to was not implying that we're on a journey to further success, but merely acknowledges that we have a rather well run football club. Which we do.

I'm afraid we're going to get a lot of these kind of column inches - over-reaction, speculation, story-making etc. but as a club I'm sure we'll be doing things in much the same way, and whatever our results on the pitch, our long-term strategy must continue.

I clearly read his article differently to you. To me he seemed to sending out a cautionary tale for our club - a club that he respects and wishes more clubs were like. The Premier League is brutal and everything is magnified tenfold because of the global exposure. Well run clubs can go down, badly run clubs can stay up.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
That reply (about the events in the Palace dressing room that night) is still there if you look.

I looked for it (obviously not hard enough).

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here