Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone remember Tomy Super Cup Football'? Better than Subbuteo!

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
Absolutely loved crossbows and catapults.
Test match cricket was excellent too. I wonder what the youth of today would make of trying to aim a metal ball down a miniature drainpipe! I remember using a slingshot technique to increase the pace if the delivery. A well disguised slow ball could be lethal too. Plenty of arguments to be had when the catching fielder was knocked over by the pace of a shot.

Talking of metal balls, remember crossfire ???

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
In terms of actual game of play I thought Striker owned Subuteo. You could also buy diving keepers that looked remarkably like Shilton with side burns.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
In terms of actual game of play I thought Striker owned Subuteo. You could also buy diving keepers that looked remarkably like Shilton with side burns.

striker%20diving1.jpg

The old style keeper

striker%20goalie.jpg

Great for Gary Sprake type throwing the ball into your own net

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom

Oh, the game play was excellent!

I wonder if Tomy still make them...

I had one , loved it too :) apart from after a while the ball went in weird angles on the pitch which threw the keeper off

I had this too
[yt]6MO9Utz7gYE[/yt]

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The buzzing crowd noise of Super Cup Football definitely added to the atmosphere while playing it. And it was a very skilful game involving ball control, shooting on the turn and fast reactions.

Subbuteo always seemed slow-paced by comparison. I appreciate many spent hours playing it. But was the game play really the appeal of it or was it more about collecting accessories and building a realistic stadium?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The buzzing crowd noise of Super Cup Football definitely added to the atmosphere while playing it. And it was a very skilful game involving ball control, shooting on the turn and fast reactions.

Subbuteo always seemed slow-paced by comparison. I appreciate many spent hours playing it. But was the game play really the appeal of it or was it more about collecting accessories and building a realistic stadium?

With Subbuteo it was both for me, as posted above I played it for hours but I'm sure there was some oneupmanship with myself and my friend to see who could have the best set up.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Great thread - very nostalgic. Never had Tomy Super Cup Football but was lucky enough to have some Subbuteo. Some mates had the rugby and cricket but the football dominated with hours spent practicing and playing mainly close mates with the occasional cross town mini league or cup. I seem to recall fair use of the revolutionary spring assisted throw in men being a bone of contention...a pre-curser to real life that one. Still got the pitch, 2 teams and World Cup goals in the loft I think...may have to dig them out. Wish I kept all the bits and pieces I and my brothers accumulated...think we even had St John's ambulance at one stage...that was a step too far really.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Had both of these and Subbuteo too (which hurt my blooming finger)

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Yep used to have that and good, but not as amazeballs as subbuteo! Had so many bits and pieces it took forever to set up but used to play cups etc. with friends from the street

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
He always beat me at Subbuteo,
Cos he "flicked to kick"
And I didn't know.

I think The Undertones had the deciding vote as to what was best!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I've got this game in good condition.. and I much preferred it to Subbuteo, which i was horrendously bad at

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Anyone else own the Subbuteo record? I had loads 70 plus teams ,Terracing ,Floodlights ,Astroturf ,Indoor edition,Five a side ,spring loaded keepers ,numbered players that were a bugger to put on with tweezers .Had Superstriker which featured left and right footed players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here