Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Clearly some of you haven't worked for a company which has either been taken over by or moved it's headquarters to a different country. Once it's happened that's not the end of the story, it's just the start of the whittling away. Oh sure, you might not close down a factory now, but as that workforce dwindles through retirement or moving elsewhere you stop replacing them and start ramping up operations abroad.

Let's see where Unilever is 5 or 10 years from now.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Clearly some of you haven't worked for a company which has either been taken over by or moved it's headquarters to a different country. Once it's happened that's not the end of the story, it's just the start of the whittling away.

that does happen, though not so likly with Unilever who has historically shifted jobs to factories that focus on particular product, some dutch factories have shut as production move to UK and vice versa. its an unusual company with its 51% ownership in Netherlands and dual HQ both there and UK, and they aren't delisting from LSE. expect to see office in UK remain, because the various marketing and commercial people are there. Shell did similar over 10 years ago. mulitnational companies setup where they like these days, Unilever has gone to Netherlands for specific local laws on corporate ownership that protects them from takeovers. Others, say Standard Life or Antofagasta come to UK for the corporate governance and access to LSE and other markets. my company has official HQ in Switzerland but its a shell, with commercial operations out of London. as someone said once, ees complicated.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[tweet]973889833717387264[/tweet]

#wouldhavehappenedanyway
#apriceworthpaying
#takingbackcontrol

I’m surprised more isn’t being made of EasyJet building up of their new Austria business, the move of U.K. flights over to this base and their drive to be fully EU owned within 2 years.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I look forward to the day when Labour are in power and Comrade McDonnell opens his re-education and work camps in the wastes of Scotland for people like you and you spend the rest of your days picking organic courgettes and making Fair Trade chocolate for decent people like me to enjoy

I wouldn't eat the chocolate if I were you ..

#extraingredient

Jan 30, 2008
Clearly some of you haven't worked for a company which has either been taken over by or moved it's headquarters to a different country. Once it's happened that's not the end of the story, it's just the start of the whittling away. Oh sure, you might not close down a factory now, but as that workforce dwindles through retirement or moving elsewhere you stop replacing them and start ramping up operations abroad.

Let's see where Unilever is 5 or 10 years from now.
probably reaping the same rewards as the UK with the EU being a distant memory
regards
DR

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“Less popular fish species such as dab, hake, herring and mackerel need to be eaten more by Britons to support the UK fishing industry“

And I was told this industry was going to flourish post-Brexit. I didn’t realise Boris meant a cheap Iceland fish cake when he said we could have our cake and eat it.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
“Less popular fish species such as dab, hake, herring and mackerel need to be eaten more by Britons to support the UK fishing industry“

And I was told this industry was going to flourish post-Brexit. I didn’t realise Boris meant a cheap Iceland fish cake when he said we could have our cake and eat it.

For god's sake stop talking our fish down! Guys went to war with Iceland (the nation not the shop) so that we Brits could eat ugly fish.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yep, the regeneration of the British fishing industry was another Leave lie. Swallowed hook, like and sinker by the dimwits.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Yep, the regeneration of the British fishing industry was another Leave lie. Swallowed hook, like and sinker by the dimwits.

Why do the EU want access to our fishing waters then?

I guess they will be offering access to their vineyards, olive groves, and the abundant crop growing fields of mainland Europe in return?

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Why do the EU want access to our fishing waters then?

I guess they will be offering access to their vineyards, olive groves, and the abundant crop growing fields of mainland Europe in return?

They don't want access to the fishing waters. They have access to the fishing waters. I'm assuming so they can catch fish?

I wouldn't concern yourself with going and picking olives, we'll need all hands on deck over here to prevent all our crops dying on the vine.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
What, going "global" like France just did with their 13 billion Euros-worth of contracts signed with India - despite being shackled by the EU?

Must admit that the French are much better at bribery than us,but it reduces all profit to mere turnover.Thales is a good example.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Weever and chips. Lovely. Rule Britannia.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went out for a post Brexit dinner with a girl last night. She had hormone injected chicken legs and bleached breasts...but a smashing personality.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here